Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Klein Reve Frame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 09:49 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts

A group I work with was given a Klein Reve frame for parts. The reason the frame was abandoned is the rear S.P.A. bumper has dry rot (shown in the pic below). A bike mechanic informed me that he did not consider the frame to be safe. Upon researching the design of the bumper, it appears there is an aluminum or steel sleeve that fits into the rubber bumper and the aluminum frame so I doubt that there is a chance of serious failure. Still, I'd like to replace the bumper if possible.
Does anyone have any information on this frame/design? I've tried to research this and can only find a blow up of the bumper design. I've been unable to find anyone selling replacement parts. Please let me know if you have any info on this bike or replacement parts for the SPA bumper.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Klein Frame 2.jpg (94.4 KB, 377 views)

Last edited by roccobike; 08-06-17 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-07-17, 07:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Klein bought by Trek. Start there but don't expect much.
Old 08-08-17, 11:32 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Is there really a way to change that thing? I can't imagine that the monostay comes apart for you to slide a new elastomer thing on there even if you could find one. I also can't imagine that it's unsafe without it.

I request you cut off the old one since it's obviously not doing any good, and have a look at what's inside.

Old 10-23-17, 12:32 PM
new_spinner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same issue. Any luck finding the bumper? Klein PN 243681
Old 10-24-17, 10:23 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
This thread seems to have info as to how to take it apart...

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...echnology.html
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 01-12-18, 07:34 PM
Gonemad

Bikes: '05 Klein Reve V, '96 Stump Jumper M2, Ancient Ex-Mt. Beater

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I've been researching replacing the elastomer on my Klein Reve V and I contacted this place, https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/, and they will custom make one for me provided I provide its dimensions. I've yet to give it a go, but now that the rains are here I'll get that part off and get it measured. BTW, I'm still riding that bike, absolutely love its ride...no problems with it though that elastomer is definitely on its way out. Had it at a local shop a few months ago and they didn't have anything bad to say about it. BTW, I am the original owner and the frame came with a lifetime warranty (though what's that worth now).
Old 01-12-18, 08:18 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonemad
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I've been researching replacing the elastomer on my Klein Reve V and I contacted this place, https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/, and they will custom make one for me provided I provide its dimensions. I've yet to give it a go, but now that the rains are here I'll get that part off and get it measured. BTW, I'm still riding that bike, absolutely love its ride...no problems with it though that elastomer is definitely on its way out. Had it at a local shop a few months ago and they didn't have anything bad to say about it. BTW, I am the original owner and the frame came with a lifetime warranty (though what's that worth now).
Klein didn't go out of business, so I don't see why your lifetime warranty isn't still in effect. In cases like this the company will likely offer some sort of replacement (Trek) frame.
Old 10-07-18, 09:45 AM
zagato36

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Removing elestomer bumper

1) Remove rear wheel.
2) Remove rear brake caliper.
3) Pull titanium pin out.
4) Elastomer bumper slides out.

Interested to know if anybody has a source for these?
Old 02-22-19, 02:11 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 80 Posts
Klein Parts

Originally Posted by roccobike
A group I work with was given a Klein Reve frame for parts. The reason the frame was abandoned is the rear S.P.A. bumper has dry rot (shown in the pic below). A bike mechanic informed me that he did not consider the frame to be safe. Upon researching the design of the bumper, it appears there is an aluminum or steel sleeve that fits into the rubber bumper and the aluminum frame so I doubt that there is a chance of serious failure. Still, I'd like to replace the bumper if possible.
Does anyone have any information on this frame/design? I've tried to research this and can only find a blow up of the bumper design. I've been unable to find anyone selling replacement parts. Please let me know if you have any info on this bike or replacement parts for the SPA bumper.
Thanks
Hello,

I am the recent (as of last summer) owner of a Klein Reve V.

I noticed this thread from last year and was wondering if you ever found a source for the rubber bumper or any Klein parts for that matter? My bike is in excellent shape and appears to have barely been ridden so I am not in need of anything at this time. Also, the components are Shimano 105 which is somewhat main stream. But it would be good to know in the event that I do need something. Thanks
Old 02-22-19, 06:05 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Trek had a bike called the Pilot that used the same technology. that may help. e-mailing Trek may also help.
Old 06-23-19, 08:42 AM
EBasil

Bikes: Manitou SS, Trek 69er SS, Fisher Cake DLX1, Breezer Beltway 8

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reve' in spades

Well, this old thread may turn out to be pretty darn helpful: I'm spending some spare time wrenching at a shop that had several Reve' hanging in the rafters brand new but missing the spa shock.

Phone call to Trek, pending, now that I have that part number listed above!

Oh, check out Facebook page for Leucadia Cyclery.
Old 06-26-20, 07:59 PM
Macfolk71

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EBasil
Well, this old thread may turn out to be pretty darn helpful: I'm spending some spare time wrenching at a shop that had several Reve' hanging in the rafters brand new but missing the spa shock.

Phone call to Trek, pending, now that I have that part number listed above!

Oh, check out Facebook page for Leucadia Cyclery.
I really hope someone was successful. I have the ‘07 Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA and am searching for the same part.

Did anyone find a source?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Old 06-29-20, 12:01 PM
EBasil

Bikes: Manitou SS, Trek 69er SS, Fisher Cake DLX1, Breezer Beltway 8

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spa shocks

Originally Posted by Macfolk71
I really hope someone was successful. I have the ‘07 Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA and am searching for the same part.

Did anyone find a source?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
I didn't, but there's apparently a fellow on eBay that sells them. We've had a customer come in with a nice, new looking unit in the back of his Reve'.
Old 07-02-20, 03:25 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by EBasil
I didn't, but there's apparently a fellow on eBay that sells them. We've had a customer come in with a nice, new looking unit in the back of his Reve'.
contact
moots or calfee these use a modern similar design and maybe can assist in some retro fitting.
good luck
Old 07-10-21, 11:59 AM
rootee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I've been researching replacing the elastomer on my Klein Reve V and I contacted this place, suspensionforkparts, and they will custom make one for me provided I provide its dimensions. I've yet to give it a go, but now that the rains are here I'll get that part off and get it measured. BTW, I'm still riding that bike, absolutely love its ride...no problems with it though that elastomer is definitely on its way out. Had it at a local shop a few months ago and they didn't have anything bad to say about it. BTW, I am the original owner and the frame came with a lifetime warranty (though what's that worth now).
Has anyone actually replaced the Klein Reve SPA bumper/elastomer/shock with the "Klein Reve Elastomer Refresh Kit", P/N KREV19, from suspensionforkparts??

I blindly purchased the part from them since it was only $26, but upon receiving it, doesn't look like the original at all. First, it's a transparent yellow/amber color, and secondly it a straight cylinder, and without a taper like the original (top thicker, bottom narrower) will not be flush with the top portion of the rear seat stay. Even if it fits it'll look ridiculous, but my bumper/elastomer/SPA is cracking and spongy so I'm willing to not care about aesthetics if it works. I'm hesitating to remove the original SPA and risk damage to it, because what if this KREV19 from suspensionforkparts doesn't actually fit or work.

BTW, I had to remove the URL's, because I'm a new bikeforums member, and am not yet allowed to post links.
Old 07-10-21, 03:51 PM
Gonemad

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rootee
Has anyone actually replaced the Klein Reve SPA bumper/elastomer/shock with the "Klein Reve Elastomer Refresh Kit", P/N KREV19, from suspensionforkparts??

I blindly purchased the part from them since it was only $26, but upon receiving it, doesn't look like the original at all. First, it's a transparent yellow/amber color, and secondly it a straight cylinder, and without a taper like the original (top thicker, bottom narrower) will not be flush with the top portion of the rear seat stay. Even if it fits it'll look ridiculous, but my bumper/elastomer/SPA is cracking and spongy so I'm willing to not care about aesthetics if it works. I'm hesitating to remove the original SPA and risk damage to it, because what if this KREV19 from suspensionforkparts doesn't actually fit or work.

BTW, I had to remove the URL's, because I'm a new bikeforums member, and am not yet allowed to post links.
Ha! I contacted suspensionforkparts a few years ago and at that time they didn't have anything that'd work given the dimensions for the Reve elastomer. Looks that that guy decided it was worth making. I ended up finding an industrial supply web site that sold 6" lengths of black polyurethane tubes that were the correct dimensions and firmness. To be certain I bought two of these, each with different firmness. I got a miter box saw I'll use to cut a piece to the proper length, which I got to do soon cause my elastomer looks to finally be worn out. Here's a nice exploded view picture of the assembly. Note that to remove the elastomer, the triangle need to be flexed, as in extended a bit, to allow enough clearance for its removal. Hope it all works out for you, I'll be finding out soon enough...I just love that bike, put to 10 speed Shimano 105 grupo on it a few years ago.

Last edited by Gonemad; 07-17-21 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-10-21, 10:42 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
You could probably lathe down a skateboard wheel to fit.
Old 07-17-21, 10:11 AM
Gonemad

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Here's what I ended up doing to replace the elastomer on my 2005 Klein Reve V. Check out this post I made in a similar topic
Likes For Gonemad:
Old 07-17-21, 06:24 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Here's what I ended up doing to replace the elastomer on my 2005 Klein Reve V. Check out this post I made in a similar topic
Lol at the idea of wood in there... Except cork, maybe?
Old 03-03-24, 11:29 AM
tigerdog

Bikes: Klein Reve X 2006, 1997 Klein Mantra Comp

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This post has a thorough discussion of the topic and a link at the bottom to a source for replacement elastomers.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...l#post22145551