Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bast spoke pattern ever?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bast spoke pattern ever?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 04:31 AM
tkdirp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bast spoke pattern ever?

We all know the bast spoke pattern for road rim brake rear are the 2:1 pattern due to the offset fo the hub. So we see a lot of radial on the non-drive side and 2 or 3 crosses on the drive side. But why don't rim brake models have a cross at the non-drive side if they have crossed at the non-drive side it will increase the stiffness of the wheel. But why isn't the cycling industry not using this for rim brake models? Am I I a genius? or more of is there a really good reason for it? If you know why please tell me.
Old 03-08-18, 09:29 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a zipp303 with radial DS and 2 cross NDS. weird and less stiff on paper but it worked fine

I do see 2:1 getting more popular
Old 03-08-18, 11:19 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by tkdirp
We all know the bast spoke pattern for road rim brake rear are the 2:1 pattern due to the offset fo the hub. So we see a lot of radial on the non-drive side and 2 or 3 crosses on the drive side. But why don't rim brake models have a cross at the non-drive side if they have crossed at the non-drive side it will increase the stiffness of the wheel. But why isn't the cycling industry not using this for rim brake models? Am I I a genius? or more of is there a really good reason for it? If you know why please tell me.
You keep misspelling "best" so I'm voting "no" on the genius part.

2:1 lacing has its benefits, but it also sacrifices lateral stiffness compared to conventional lacing, so it's not perfect. Radial spoking is often used on the NDS because it's slightly lighter/stiffer/more aero. There are people who use 1x on the NDS when doing triplet lacing, though, and it's a good idea if your hub isn't rated for radial lacing.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-08-18, 11:36 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,424 Posts
There's no best. There are considerations and various solutions that address them.

The 2:1 pattern you seem to favor does help address the effects of dish, but calls for z heavier stiffer rim to handle the longer spans between bracing points. Switching it as you propose has been done, but means that driving torque has to be carried across the hub shell and therefore a heavier stiffer hub.

An alternate, simpler way is to reduce the gauge of the spokes rather than the number. This addresses the dish question without increasing stresses on the rim and hub.

Of course mixed gauges aren't visibly obvious, and 32 or 28h wheels lack the cool factor that marketers need to get folks to buy more stuff, even when what they have is still OK.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.