Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Backpacks for commuting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Backpacks for commuting

Old 08-16-18, 07:26 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Sorry man, Osprey is overpriced/underperforming gear.

In German, we joke that the wearer must be American or from Cali. Also, the company isn't as green as it should be.

They should be more like these guys...

https://www.fjallraven.us/pages/sustainability

My large rucksack is a 65L Kajka ... unfortunately, it's lasted too long (it's the pre-woodframe model) from 2008.
You said Osprey ius style over function. I asked where it isn't functional and you respond that you don't like its style, it isn't green.and some snobby comment. Like I said - no substance.
Old 08-16-18, 10:22 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
Nahhhhhh you are full of it.
I love my Talon22. Gets used every single day for commuting to work. Does what its suppose to and in comfort.
How many years?

My Arc'teryx has been used for every single commute since 2010, plus a lot of non-commute travel. So it's been through roughly 2000 bike commutes without a single strap/buckle/etc... failure. Nice lightweight aluminum back-curving plate.

Black, which is excellent so it doesn't look dirty, it is getting worn though, the fabric.

The material around the front zipper just tore ... but that's after 8000 zips minimum (minimum of 4 per day ... pre-work home, pre-work office, post-work office and post-work home).

Thus, I need to get the zipper replaced.

The roll-top is excellent and 20L is perfect for a lunch/clothes change/weekend trip.

Osprey ... hahahaha ... I wouldn't waste the money.
Old 08-16-18, 11:21 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
If I needed the convenience of a backpack throughout the day (such as college student) but commuted by bike, I'd be looking for one of the following:
  • Panniers that are large enough to hold a backpack.
  • Panniers that can BE a backpack.
Preferably the latter, since leaving panniers on the bike while it's parked during the day might encourage a theft of the panniers.

I have Ortlieb Shopper panniers (a set of two) for my aluminum road bike and find them great for commuting on those occasions when I'm able to commute, which is about once a week. They are easy to remove and carry around, but are not suitable replacements for a campus backpack.

I suggest going to the Oritlieb website and looking at whatever pannier seems to be most appropriate for carrying the type of stuff you commute with, and then purchasing the backpack adapter for that pannier:
Ortlieb Backpack Pannier Carrying-System

The reason I prefer a pannier on the bike over a backpack is sweat, ride comfort, and balance. I feel better balanced with a pannier on the side than a pack on my back. And am able usually to arrive without a soaked back, when I use a pannier. The Ortlieb backpack adapter seems like a cool way to take your pannier with you when you leave your bike at the rack. ...matter of fact, I may have to order one.
Old 08-16-18, 01:05 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
If I needed the convenience of a backpack throughout the day (such as college student) but commuted by bike, I'd be looking for one of the following:
  • Panniers that are large enough to hold a backpack.
  • Panniers that can BE a backpack.
Preferably the latter, since leaving panniers on the bike while it's parked during the day might encourage a theft of the panniers.

I have Ortlieb Shopper panniers (a set of two) for my aluminum road bike and find them great for commuting on those occasions when I'm able to commute, which is about once a week. They are easy to remove and carry around, but are not suitable replacements for a campus backpack.

I suggest going to the Oritlieb website and looking at whatever pannier seems to be most appropriate for carrying the type of stuff you commute with, and then purchasing the backpack adapter for that pannier:
Ortlieb Backpack Pannier Carrying-System

The reason I prefer a pannier on the bike over a backpack is sweat, ride comfort, and balance. I feel better balanced with a pannier on the side than a pack on my back. And am able usually to arrive without a soaked back, when I use a pannier. The Ortlieb backpack adapter seems like a cool way to take your pannier with you when you leave your bike at the rack. ...matter of fact, I may have to order one.
Those Ortlieb are super-uncomfortable to use as a backpack, especially when they're the older variant with an inflexible rear facia.
Old 08-16-18, 05:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I use a Timbuk2 backpack. I like it, but it's really floppy, which is both good and bad. It's good because it's very lightweight. It's bad because it makes filling the back a little cumbersome. Overall, I'm very happy with it. I understand some of the newer models have a kickstand, which sounds funny, but now I see the point.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-07-20, 12:27 AM
eveeverly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheelride
So I'll be started school again in a few weeks, and I've been looking at better charging backpacks for commuting. There are a couple I had in mind, like the Osprey Radial 34 and the Momentum 32. However, there are issues about both bags that concern me, particularly the elastic cords that would have to hold up the weight of a fully loaded bag. They both have some really nice features, such as an integrated rain cover, and a spot to attach a helmet when not in use.
I prefer Osprey Radial 26 to Osprey Radial 34. Although the rope does not seem to be fully carrying the weight of this bag, this is a fact. Like everyone else, I don't worry about it, their warranty service is very good.
Old 02-07-20, 10:11 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheelride
So I'll be started school again in a few weeks, and I've been looking at backpacks that would be better for commuting. There are a couple I had in mind, like the Osprey Radial 34 and the Momentum 32. However, there are issues about both bags that concern me, particularly the elastic cords that would have to hold up the weight of a fully loaded bag. They both have some really nice features, such as an integrated rain cover, and a spot to attach a helmet when not in use.
I love Osprey packs for hiking and mtbing...
I tried the Radial 34 for commuting, the S/M. And still my back of head/helmet would run into the pack. I'm still looking for a good alternative.
Old 02-07-20, 11:54 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Menel
I love Osprey packs for hiking and mtbing...
I tried the Radial 34 for commuting, the S/M. And still my back of head/helmet would run into the pack. I'm still looking for a good alternative.
No problem with the 26. 34 is quite big for commuting IMO.
Old 03-15-20, 08:10 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
I got a North Face bag since the back of it has bumps to keep it off my back some making it less sweaty
Old 03-15-20, 09:41 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I use a Timbuk2 backpack. I like it, but it's really floppy, which is both good and bad. It's good because it's very lightweight. It's bad because it makes filling the back a little cumbersome. Overall, I'm very happy with it. I understand some of the newer models have a kickstand, which sounds funny, but now I see the point.
yes like timbuk2 too but now that I have racks I don't use it much. hate having a pack on my back while riding.
Old 03-15-20, 09:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Four semesters and one summer break later…
Genesis 49:16-17