Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

I've done now!!!

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

I've done now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 06:21 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I've done now!!!

I am jumping in the "pool"! Signed up with Doug Fattic. Now I wonder if my woodworking shop will turn into something different!😁
Old 11-04-19, 06:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
my woodworking shop is a woodworking/machine shop. It's not a great combo, but it works most of the time
Old 11-04-19, 09:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Great choice. Doug's a good teacher and will get you started off with the proper technique and methods that can be hard for a self taught guy to end up with. Andy
Old 11-04-19, 10:47 AM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I am jealous, make sure you record everything in photos, video and writing and post it on here for those who cannot join you
Old 11-06-19, 01:38 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeread
I am jealous, make sure you record everything in photos, video and writing and post it on here for those who cannot join you
YES!! Very jealous. I have been working on a vacation for the family to the lovely shores of Michigan City for 5+ years!! One can dream....
Old 11-06-19, 03:13 AM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I am jumping in the "pool"! Signed up with Doug Fattic. Now I wonder if my woodworking shop will turn into something different!😁
Be careful doing hot work in a woodwork shop.

I bought a Rockwell tester off a guy who made knives in his woodwork shop, a big workshop with all the kit to make big furniture. The day after I picked it up it the whole building burned to the ground, it even made the local news.
Old 11-06-19, 06:42 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Since I am only 5 hours away from Doug's shop my wife and I are going up tomorrow. We are doing a fitting and out bits and pieces!
Old 11-06-19, 03:38 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Since I am only 5 hours away from Doug's shop my wife and I are going up tomorrow. We are doing a fitting and out bits and pieces!
looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. I've got a freshly minted class manual for you that can give you head start before class actually starts after Thanksgiving. I've edited it a thousand times. I started it twhen I was apprenticing in England. I was shown what to do and I would think that's obvious but then later some of the details would have slipped my mind and I needed to check again. Writing everything down was a memory aid. Over the years I have been able to include many more details - the most important are the principles of brazing and filing. Beginners make similar mistakes and if they know how to avoid them that really shortens their learning curve. It also helps to know exactly what to do and then just practice to get the hand skills down and not try to figure out what went wrong (or worry that something isn't right or could be done better). Later when it is time to start a 2nd frame, their notes, videos and manual can be keep them on the right track.

I like when a student can spend a bit of time before class starts. It is easier to make choices when a person can see the frame material options and ask questions. Unfortunately my international students don't get that chance. Part of doing well in class is understanding what to expect and getting mentally prepared.
Old 11-06-19, 09:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
The best thing I've done in my free time in the last 5 years was to take a frame building class locally.
It was spread over about 14 sunday afternoons I the winter which worked perfectly for my schedule and really satisfied my curiosity.

I understand way more about geometry than before, geek out on small touches to frames that I didn't notice before since I understand what goes into making the small touches, and plan to build a frame at home(first some brazeon practice this winter on an old frame needing repair).

Anyways, it's totally worth the time and a frame builder who has taught so many, like Doug has, really makes the class worthwhile because he has seen just about everything a student could do or want.