Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 05-13-20, 11:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Kudos. I did something similar yesterday, but instead of power data I used relative pressure on my hands.

The SLT is my most aggressive fit, with a steep seat tube angle and probably 4" of drop from the saddle to the tops of the bars, so if I don't keep the pedals heavy I can get a lot of pressure on my hands. The end result was my heart rate about 10-15 bpm over my usual endurance effort and probably my quickest ride of the year in average speed terms.
Nice. My pace was decent, too, even with some soft pedaling while evaluating the puncture situation. I will say that there's one more benefit for me - this greatly diminishes that previously stated need for more route variety. Who needs new scenery when you're doin' the Froome and only looking at the power figures on the head unit?

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Welcome to my world.
Ha. And remember how, just a day or two ago, I was saying that it was a struggle for me to have an average power above 220w in the metro area? I guess I was wrong - I was at 226w over the two hours. The funny thing is that it really didn't feel any harder than usual.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-13-20, 11:34 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Got my ride in. Lots of climbing. First impression of the Assos not bibs shorts with the S7 chamois is ok. The stitching and craftsmanship is top notch. The pad is ok, feels a little less “cushiony” than the S5. My ride was only 52 miles so not sure how they would feel after a century.

For the price of $68 I am very satisfied. But don’t think they are worth the msrp, which I imagine is $150-ish.

I got a stupid migraine on my ride. First had a wacko psychedelic blind spot, which lasted 10 minutes. The headache came later. I got home and took some Advil and coffee, so it’s improving but still feel funny in the head.

Luckily these are rare events for me. First one ever on a ride.
Old 05-13-20, 12:00 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ha. And remember how, just a day or two ago, I was saying that it was a struggle for me to have an average power above 220w in the metro area? I guess I was wrong - I was at 226w over the two hours. The funny thing is that it really didn't feel any harder than usual.
There's no way I could average 220w in my particular metro area, but it may be quite different from yours. I'd be above safe speeds on a lot of the flat and downhills, or blowing intersections and taking unsafe lines through corners. Even solo I don't get to average over 17mph.
Old 05-13-20, 12:19 PM
WhyFi

There's no way I could average 220w in my particular metro area, but it may be quite different from yours. I'd be above safe speeds on a lot of the flat and downhills, or blowing intersections and taking unsafe lines through corners. Even solo I don't get to average over 17mph.
Is this your nice way of telling me that I'm not aero?

Yeah, I need to be at least a little selective when it comes to route, or it can be a lot of stop and go. Not too many downhills steep enough and long enough to be concerned about speed. I did hit 43mph on one, but it's wide open with no crossing traffic until well after things level out. And while I'm an Idaho Stop adherent, I err on the side of caution and almost never run lights (unless I can see that there's no traffic for a quarter mile in either direction - I mean, come on).
Old 05-13-20, 12:47 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
My 11am appointment was a recheck exam on a conservatively-managed spinal fractures in a little dog who was attacked by a pit bull 2 weeks ago. Several cervical vertebral fractures, all non-displaced, bite wounds, and a spinal injury which left the little dog unable to walk in all four limbs. Owners could no afford to do all the fancy stuff but honestly from the xrays I was pretty sure this dog would get better with meds and nursing care. Yay, today she's back up and walking (unsteadily) and looks great.

Best part of the story though is the owners WALKED five miles carrying the dog to bring her in for her recheck. They are out of work and have no car. But they have feet and feet got the job done.

Likes For Heathpack:
Old 05-13-20, 12:59 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts
(unless I can see that there's no traffic for a quarter mile in either direction - I mean, come on).
Tell that to the cop that gave me a ticket for that exact thing back in college
Old 05-13-20, 01:02 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts
Nothing like having a nice uneventful day at work and then being unexpectedly asked to talk to an AS9100 auditor

All good though, so long as you answer only the question you are asked, and nothing more
Old 05-13-20, 01:31 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
I tried a novel thing today - I decided to ride with purpose and maintain a cruising wattage, actively using the power meter that I've had for a couple years.
Nobody wants to hear about anything novel any time soon, alright?
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-13-20, 01:36 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
My 11am appointment was a recheck exam on a conservatively-managed spinal fractures in a little dog who was attacked by a pit bull 2 weeks ago. Several cervical vertebral fractures, all non-displaced, bite wounds, and a spinal injury which left the little dog unable to walk in all four limbs. Owners could no afford to do all the fancy stuff but honestly from the xrays I was pretty sure this dog would get better with meds and nursing care. Yay, today she's back up and walking (unsteadily) and looks great.

Best part of the story though is the owners WALKED five miles carrying the dog to bring her in for her recheck. They are out of work and have no car. But they have feet and feet got the job done.

And the pit bull and its owners?

Old 05-13-20, 01:37 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Seems to be nap time

Old 05-13-20, 01:46 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

But first. My x-ray deemed the pin as being ready to come out of the finger. Sadly, the promised appointment (from my doc) failed to materialize. There are, in fact, no appts available anywhere in the public system. My options are 1) er at the hospital that did the surgery, or 2) a private clinic. The hospital that did the surgery is the main Covid hospital in the city.
As an aside, for the two weeks prior to this one, I had a series of mild symptoms which have given the impression that I was infected with the Covid. I was certainly infected with something, and many of the symptoms match up. Hmmm

Old 05-13-20, 02:06 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by BillyD
Nobody wants to hear about anything novel any time soon, alright?
Afraid it'll go viral?
Old 05-13-20, 02:26 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Is this your nice way of telling me that I'm not aero?

Yeah, I need to be at least a little selective when it comes to route, or it can be a lot of stop and go. Not too many downhills steep enough and long enough to be concerned about speed. I did hit 43mph on one, but it's wide open with no crossing traffic until well after things level out. And while I'm an Idaho Stop adherent, I err on the side of caution and almost never run lights (unless I can see that there's no traffic for a quarter mile in either direction - I mean, come on).

Your roads are definitely better for riding than our neighborhood. Too many lights, too many tight turns.
Old 05-13-20, 02:26 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Afraid it'll go viral?
You are a bad man. Bad!
Old 05-13-20, 02:27 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
And the pit bull and its owners?
I believe they are at home, lol.

The pitbull belongs to the landlord. The little terrier got out of her own yard into the landlord's yard, which is where the pit bull attacked her.

So really there was no "crime" here. Yeah it would be great if the pit bull didn't attack the other dog. But it would also be great if the little terrier didn't get into the pit bull's space. And the pit bull did actually drop the little terrier when instructed to do so by his owner, which was a great thing.

The terrier owner expects the pit bull owner to pay half the vet bills and if the pit bull owner does that, great. It will be ethically the right thing to do, and the generous thing to do. But legally the pit bull owner owes the terrier owner nothing, because the pit bull was properly confined in his own yard. I chalk this up to "**** happens between dogs". The only exception in this particular incidence is that the landlord presumably owns the fence that should separate the two dogs, and has some obligation to make sure the fence is secure.
Old 05-13-20, 02:56 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

@datlas - The family in CT mentioned that my grandmother was having issues seeing people in Skype/Zoom calls on the phone screens people were taking to her, so I’m shipping her my old laptop. I say this because at the same time I dug out my old Surface Book, which has a discrete graphics card and will give CVRcade a try tomorrow morning. First impression is that the UI is a hot mess, and it might functionally require a keyboard across the handlebars. But I’ll see how it goes in the morning.
Let me know. We do have an extra slighly old PC but runs Windows 10 ok, so I would just need a dongle or equivalent to have communication between my trainer and PC.

Which dongle gives the best bang for the buck??
Old 05-13-20, 03:06 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 974 Posts
I tried a novel thing today - I decided to ride with purpose and maintain a cruising wattage, actively using the power meter that I've had for a couple years.

What I learned is that, left to my own devices, I'm not terribly disciplined. On the flats, I tend to accelerate with good effort, but when I get up to speed, I tend to spin at 100+ and then ease off the power - that puts me right at my endurance effort, which would be great if I were going out for 3+ hours, I guess, but not so much for shorter rides or when, you know, tryin' to get stronger. Anyway, I found that just shifting once more, keeping the pedals a little heavier and cadence in the 95-100 range, made it easy for me to stay at my target of ~90%. Then, of course, there were the undulations and downhills. I'm prolly not the only one that slacks off and enjoys the free ride, but it sure makes a difference when you stay on the pedals.
Same here, except when I go to the bigger gear, I still end up spinning at 100 and going over what I’m targeting then coasting to cut the power back down. Of course, I only have 3 rides with power, so maybe that will change as I get more acclimated.
Old 05-13-20, 04:04 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by datlas
Let me know. We do have an extra slighly old PC but runs Windows 10 ok, so I would just need a dongle or equivalent to have communication between my trainer and PC.

Which dongle gives the best bang for the buck??
It appears to connect fine via native BT stack. Does that PC have BT?
Old 05-13-20, 04:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

It appears to connect fine via native BT stack. Does that PC have BT?
Nope. The MacBook does, of course. Given the warmer weather I am not in a huge rush to buy into a new indoor platform, but still curious to hear your impressions. If it’s decent I don’t mind buying an ANT+ or BT dongle which are not terribly pricey.
Old 05-13-20, 04:57 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Seems to be nap time
Correct.
Old 05-13-20, 05:50 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Off to the ER first thing in the morning. My wife has to drive our friend's car back to the beach and return with ours (they drove to Cancun airport this morning, and friend's car is bigger and more comfortable than ours). She will drop me at the hospital, and head north. I will almost certainly be two to three hours, getting in, getting treated, and getting out. Perhaps it will work out well. I will be more than thrilled to have this one more step behind me. All that will be left is the plastic surgery to repair the tendon. I, personally, would like to put that off until we are finished peaking, but will do what they tell me.

Old 05-13-20, 06:15 PM
WhyFi

You are a bad man. Bad!
I am an honest, sweetheart of a guy. I really wanted to be a bad man a little bit ago. I was picking up a stack of lumber for a raised plant bed, and two of the pieces weren't marked. "Oh, these are 2" x 8" x 10'," I told the cashier.

"Okay, thanks.... uh, what kind of wood are they? I don't know any of this stuff."

I soooooo wanted to say, "well, Douglas Fir..." which prolly would have been about 10 bucks each. Instead, I told the truth and paid close to 40 bucks each.
Old 05-13-20, 06:17 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by datlas
Nope. The MacBook does, of course. Given the warmer weather I am not in a huge rush to buy into a new indoor platform, but still curious to hear your impressions. If it’s decent I don’t mind buying an ANT+ or BT dongle which are not terribly pricey.
I am annoyed by dongles; it's one of my frustrations with Apple. Even recently, BT laptops wouldn't talk to BTLE cycling equipment but that seems to have been resolved.
Old 05-13-20, 06:19 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I am an honest, sweetheart of a guy. I really wanted to be a bad man a little bit ago. I was picking up a stack of lumber for a raised plant bed, and two of the pieces weren't marked. "Oh, these are 2" x 8" x 10'," I told the cashier.

"Okay, thanks.... uh, what kind of wood are they? I don't know any of this stuff."

I soooooo wanted to say, "well, Douglas Fir..." which prolly would have been about 10 bucks each. Instead, I told the truth and paid close to 40 bucks each.
Soooooo what kind of wood costs 4x more than Douglas Fir?

Also, seems like an important thing for a cashier there to know.
Old 05-13-20, 06:19 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,311 Posts
The best thing you'll see today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.