Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kona - missing V-brake cable stop?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 03:47 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts

I don't work on mtn bikes much, but have adjusted V-brakes a few times. Someone gave me an old Kona Cinder Cone frame that I'm building up. I see a brake cable stop near the headset, but not at the rear brake. I'm baffled. Did they use a clamp-on cable stop? No cable stop? And if no stop, do I run a bare wire directly to the rear V-brake noodle? Doesn't seem right.

Old 04-24-20, 04:59 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
You can see where the paint is brighter under the seat post clamp. Likely had a hanger mounted there and originally ran canti lever brakes.
Old 04-24-20, 05:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
You can zip tie a full length brake cable housing right to the rear brake.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-24-20, 05:19 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
V-brakes do not use cable stops, you run the housing all the way to the noodle.
Old 04-24-20, 05:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Many bikes (with V brakes) do have a rear of TT casing stop because they have a front of TT one. First thing, besides the very obvious full length casing, is a backstop or other clamp on stop. From the TT weld beads it looks to be a round tube. So a clamp on stop like this might do. This is an Origin 8 part #14469 . They are made in different tube diameters. Andy

Old 04-24-20, 05:30 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
You can see where the paint is brighter under the seat post clamp. Likely had a hanger mounted there and originally ran canti lever brakes.
I found some photos online and it does appear there was some type of hanger there: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/dow....php?id=156388
If you don't have the hanger tho, you could certainly run full length housing, as prev. mentioned. Could use zip ties or clamps similar to these: https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126195207

Last edited by freeranger; 04-24-20 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 06:12 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
This thread shows a pretty clean set up with a post clamp mount.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...akes-swap.html

https://www.greggscycles.com/product...hoCDoAQAvD_BwE

https://www.google.com/search?q=seat...CAKVPC_enUS837
Old 04-24-20, 06:18 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
kona called it a dog collar. It's less of a cable stop and more of a guide for a bare cable, meant for canti brakes only. Can be modified to use is as a housing stop though. I have a bunch if anybody needs one.

They all got removed/replaced with the style of clamp on stop posted above when the owners converted to V-brakes. I also have some of the nicer old machined V-brake stops, probably all huge sizes for aluminum bikes though.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 04-24-20, 06:21 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I'd just run full length outer, keeps the inner clean and will save you some money.
Old 04-24-20, 07:41 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Originally Posted by dedhed
You are right. Kona did have a clamp-on cable stop right there. Someone took it off, but I still have it, so will install tomorrow and post a photo.
Thx everyone!
Old 04-24-20, 08:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Well.... nitpicking, but this very frame dependent. My ‘04 Specialized has cable stops on the bottom of the top tube, front and rear. It had housing from the rear stop to the noodle on the rear brake. My ‘91 Fuji has a hand made steel tube welded in place around the seat and top tube junction that routed the rear brake cable to the center position on canti brakes. When I upgraded that to V, I couldn’t use that nice noodle and ran brake housing right from the lever, zip tied

Old 04-25-20, 04:00 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I have cable stops on my Trek 6000 mountain bike, which has V-brakes. That said, the OP's frame ornament doesn't look like a proper cable stop... the housing could pass right through it, as wesmamyke pointed out.
Old 04-25-20, 06:17 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I have cable stops on my Trek 6000 mountain bike, which has V-brakes. That said, the OP's frame ornament doesn't look like a proper cable stop... the housing could pass right through it, as wesmamyke pointed out.
I should have been clearer, V-brakes have a run of housing going to the noodle, unlike cantilever brakes which have a cable hanger where the housing stops and then a bare inner wire goes to the brake's straddle cable carrier or link wire. Either may have intermediate stops for bare cable runs such as along the top tube.
Old 04-25-20, 07:57 AM
Steve B.

I should have been clearer, V-brakes have a run of housing going to the noodle, unlike cantilever brakes which have a cable hanger where the housing stops and then a bare inner wire goes to the brake's straddle cable carrier or link wire. Either may have intermediate stops for bare cable runs such as along the top tube.
And there's nothing wrong with full length housing either. My '98 Miyata tourer has internal routing in the top tube for a full length housing, could have been either Canti or V.
Old 04-25-20, 05:04 PM
wesmamyke

These are two different generations of the same thing, so they look a little different.

Here is one modified to work with V-brakes:

Here is the stock setup:

Last edited by wesmamyke; 04-27-20 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-26-20, 07:48 PM
sunburst

OK, found the part, and found an original pic of the bike. This cable guide/stop has an indent that fixes the position. I first tried to defeat this because I did not like the curve in the cable, and this orientation just seems wrong, but this is what Kona designed. And it works.

Here are pix of the finished bike.

Old 04-26-20, 07:54 PM
sunburst

Maiden voyage last night. Today I changed the saddle. Next up is a better crank and bar-ends. Most of these parts came from a wreaked hybrid I bought for parts.

It fits and rides beautifully. I've wanted a rigid fork mtn bike ever since I gave my brother my old purple Rockhopper.
Thx 2cam!

Likes For sunburst:
Old 04-26-20, 08:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Given that the first photo shows a cable casing end that isn't seated in the frame clamp stop fully I don't think this is a solution that Kona , or experienced wrenches, would have hoped for. Then there's the extremely curvy casing path... Andy
Old 04-26-20, 09:39 PM
sunburst

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Given that the first photo shows a cable casing end that isn't seated in the frame clamp stop fully I don't think this is a solution that Kona , or experienced wrenches, would have hoped for. Then there's the extremely curvy casing path... Andy
That cable casing was not an original part (which I don't have). Just something in my box.

Yeah, I don't like the curve, so I don't know what Kona was thinking. The brake pull doesn't feel like there is any restriction however. The cable guide has a top tube indent that forces the guide into this position. I tried getting around it but, in my opinion, this is just bad/strange design. I could be wrong.
Old 04-27-20, 12:08 AM
wesmamyke

Again. this is the stock setup:

Old 04-27-20, 10:25 AM
sunburst

duh, I get it now - the bike originally came with canti-levers. Someone, at some point, replaced them with V-brakes, so I assumed that was the factory design. Thx for the photo.

Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Again. this is the stock setup: