Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flaking carbon seatpost

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Flaking carbon seatpost

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 12:35 PM
okhs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flaking carbon seatpost

Hi,
I bought a Ridley Noah SL 2020 a week ago brand new, and as i was about to adjust the seat height i noticed that it was very difficult to get the seatpost to move, almost as if it had seized. I eventually got it lose, but noticed that there is some flaking on the seatpost itself, as well as the post being very resistant to moving up and down even with the wedge out, making sandy grinding noise when it is moved. Is this normal? What could be the cause of this? Too little grease or the wedge bolt being too tight?

(I was not allowed to upload a picture directly)
imgur.com/w5bwyLb

Any insight would be appreciated

Okhs
Old 05-11-20, 12:54 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Looks like the clear coat over the CF core is breaking off. In part this would be UV resistant. Practically this
is probably not serious, especially if that part is buried in the seat tube but since it is new I would take it
back to the shop (hopefully shop) and exchange it. Such flaking is usually not seen til after years of
ownership.

Post should be installed with CF specific grease which may explain your 'sandy grinding noise' CF grease has some grit in it to increase friction.

Here is the image:

Last edited by sch; 05-11-20 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 12:57 PM
okhs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks sch, i will ask the bike shop about it
Old 05-11-20, 07:44 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
OTOH the shop could argue the coating was scraped off in the course of adjustment and not their problem.
Looks like some striations above and below the missing patch. Perhaps the wedge should be removed
entirely if the seat post height is adjusted, dunnoh. In any event I think the damage is cosmetic in the
short run and if this part of the post is to be exposed you could mask off the rest of the post with tape
and spray some automotive clear coat for long term UV protection.