Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Paint Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 05:36 PM
EastOfMidnight

Bikes: Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Paint Question

Bike has been sand blasted, cleaned, primed with filler primer, sanded, cleaned and primed. I want to go clear gloss over a black base coat. My question is, should the base coat be flat, satin or gloss? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Old 05-27-20, 06:03 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
It doesn't matter. Just be sure to use the same type of clear coat as the base layer. Lacquer over enamel will cause the base layer to wrinkle under the lacquer, forcing you to start all over again. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-27-20, 06:29 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Good paint would be a 2 part urethane. It's sold as a base coat and clear coat. A base coat is not likely to be glossy.
Old 05-27-20, 08:09 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26421 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts

...if you want optimal results, I think I'd try the black primer, see if it was shiny enough to make me happy, and then (if not) overcoat it with the clear glamour...which comes out really shiny if you apply it correctly. Wer a respirator mask rated for the stuff. It's not something where you want to breathe the vapors. It mixes right in the spray can, and has a pot life of maybe 24 hours.
Old 05-27-20, 08:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4207 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 2,314 Posts
Having done a bit of painting (Imron back when it was affordable and available widely) and having helped a real pro do a few of my frames my understanding is that a base layer will want to have both a consistent coverage of the layer beneath it as well as a tooth for the next coat on top of it. An added factor is that coat's time window for the next coat and what the prep work is suggested for that next coat.

So if one were painting all the coats within their initial time windows then a flat coat would provide the best "tooth" for the next coat, with no other sanding. If the initial time window is past then this coat will need mechanical (sanding) prep so it's gloss will matter less. Andy