Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bidding starts at $450.00 but no bites...hmmm

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bidding starts at $450.00 but no bites...hmmm

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 10:47 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by velomateo
How the hell does that kickstand work when it's mounted backwards?
It isn't. Look at the other pictures and you'll see it is a 2 legged kickstand. I think my Atala had that too. That has to be the biggest piece of junk I've seen listed on ebay in a while. And it figures it's from Long Island.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-03-20, 02:01 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
What a shame. He declined my offer of $4.50.

-Kurt
Be careful. If an offer's accepted, you'd have to pay shipping also. I'd only offer $4.50 for local pickup.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-03-20, 02:11 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Be careful. If an offer's accepted, you'd have to pay shipping also. I'd only offer $4.50 for local pickup.
I know the risk. But the way I see it, the risk was paying double the value of a kickstand that I happen to like using on my 3-speeds.

And I do know that - crappy as it is - I could clean that up and flip it locally for $50 as a decent commuter - giving the bike back its dignity in the process.

Sure, it's a rusty, low end Atala, but it's not a complete bicycle-shaped-object. It can be turned into something with merit given a mechanical refresh (and preferably a square taper BB and crankset).

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-03-20, 03:02 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
That'd be a good commuter for someone. Looks sketchier than it is, so it could be locked up without too much worry. Valentino derailleurs were fine if everything was set up and adjusted well. Functionally, not much different than a Shimano Eagle, but the chrome and general quality level was way better. Tipo hubs are a nice feature. I'd strip those out for something else.

Obviously $450 is ridiculously high. I've bought much nicer bike boom bikes in thrift stores for $39.

I haven't seen a Greenfield rack for some time. These were more or less a Pletscher copy/knock-off, but had the useful capability of carrying a basketball. Useful for American youths at least. That one is missing its spring claw.
Old 07-03-20, 07:16 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That'd be a good commuter for someone. Looks sketchier than it is, so it could be locked up without too much worry. Valentino derailleurs were fine if everything was set up and adjusted well. Functionally, not much different than a Shimano Eagle, but the chrome and general quality level was way better. Tipo hubs are a nice feature. I'd strip those out for something else.

Obviously $450 is ridiculously high. I've bought much nicer bike boom bikes in thrift stores for $39.

I haven't seen a Greenfield rack for some time. These were more or less a Pletscher copy/knock-off, but had the useful capability of carrying a basketball. Useful for American youths at least. That one is missing its spring claw.
I don't think that would be a good commuter at all. It would take so much work to get it operational that it wouldn't be worth it even if you picked it up off the street. My guess is that parts are rusted shut, and the components are all low quality even if stamped "Campagnolo". I had one when I was a teenager and it was cool for a teenager's bike, but that is as far as I'd take it. Those wheels with the ridged rims won't stop worth a damn in the wet, and weren't so great when dry either, and this is when new, never mind rusting away for 50 years.

My next bike after this one was stolen was an Austro-Daimler Inter10, a step up in quality from this one and it felt it. After that one was stolen from my apartment, I had a bike custom built by Bill Davidson in 1980. That bike I still have and my son uses it. I haven't had a bike stolen since after having 2 stolen in a short time. After the second was stolen from my apartment I thought I should lock up the Davidson even inside, but never did. I had moved to a much safer place.

Last edited by zacster; 07-03-20 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-03-20, 11:25 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I don't think that would be a good commuter at all. It would take so much work to get it operational that it wouldn't be worth it even if you picked it up off the street. My guess is that parts are rusted shut, and the components are all low quality even if stamped "Campagnolo". I had one when I was a teenager and it was cool for a teenager's bike, but that is as far as I'd take it. Those wheels with the ridged rims won't stop worth a damn in the wet, and weren't so great when dry either, and this is when new, never mind rusting away for 50 years.
Depends on whether the right parts were kicking around or not. Right now, I have enough spares that I could theoretically swap out the crank to a square taper single-ring, lace a spare 700C wheel with a Sturmey SRF-3 for the rear, kick a non-matching Weinmann/Malliard 700C in front, throw some Kool-Stops on the centerpulls, and have nothing more than time into it, as all the above parts were either free or their cost has been offset by whatever they were originally with.

I'd definitely want to put some North Roads and fenders on it if I went IGH, but the lack of spare North Roads would mean an additional $30 cost. I do have a spare set of fenders though.

Too much stuff thrown at an old low-end Atala? Maybe so, but when you've got chrome lugs, the right parts for next to nothing, and the frame fits...why not?

P.S.: I don't see ridged braking surfaces in the seller's photos.

-Kurt

Old 07-04-20, 02:00 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by cudak888
P.S.: I don't see ridged braking surfaces in the seller's photos.

-Kurt
Blow up the pic, they are definitely ridged or dimpled.
Old 07-04-20, 03:16 PM
Pugs2xLove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kermie
Yours HAS to be the best offer he has got.
Probably the only offer he has gotten.