Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 10:50 AM
GregU

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2002 Specialized Sirius Pro, 1985 Vitus 979 (DuraAce 7400), 1985 Bianchi Trofeo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Witcomb

Here is my 1991 Witcomb which was recently handed down to me by my father. It still has the same 7-speed setup when it was built, so I just replaced the shifters with Microshift and a Deore LX NOS front derailleur (had campy record brake levers, 105 front mech, and 600 indexed shifters). Long term I'm thinking of going 8-speed in the back with 10-speed Campy brifters, but this will work for now. Oh, and I threw on my fav quill stem, the Nitto Dynamic II.
Old 02-11-19, 03:22 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by GregU

Here is my 1991 Witcomb which was recently handed down to me by my father. It still has the same 7-speed setup when it was built, so I just replaced the shifters with Microshift and a Deore LX NOS front derailleur (had campy record brake levers, 105 front mech, and 600 indexed shifters). Long term I'm thinking of going 8-speed in the back with 10-speed Campy brifters, but this will work for now. Oh, and I threw on my fav quill stem, the Nitto Dynamic II.
Purdy!
Old 02-17-19, 04:33 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
1981 Bertoni Superlight - latest iteration

Thanks to BF members Snibop (frame and panto’d bits) and Brockd15, I gave myself hours of entertainment putting this together. I originally built it up with period correct Campy parts, but somehow it never got ridden much. So when I impulsively purchased the SRAM Force 10 groupset I thought of the Bertoni, which looks super in black. I built the wheels with Mavic Open Pros and All City Go Devil hubs, spread the rear triangle to fit and voila! I swapped the 53/39 crankset for a 50/34 compact one to better deal with our local terrain and it works well. (Although the 53/39 SRAM crankset is an absolute color match to the frame, I go for comfort every time.) This really is too nice a frame to languish in the back of the bike line!

Last edited by Honusms; 02-17-19 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 03:37 AM
OTS 

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Honusms
Thanks to BF members Snibop (frame and panto’d bits) and Brockd15, I gave myself hours of entertainment putting this together. I originally built it up with period correct Campy parts, but somehow it never got ridden much. So when I impulsively purchased the SRAM Force 10 groupset I thought of the Bertoni, which looks super in black. I built the wheels with Mavic Open Pros and All City Go Devil hubs, spread the rear triangle to fit and voila! I swapped the 53/39 crankset for a 50/34 compact one to better deal with our local terrain and it works well. (Although the 53/39 SRAM crankset is an absolute color match to the frame, I go for comfort every time.) This really is too nice a frame to languish in the back of the bike line!

.....................and that Bertoni turned out very nice, good work.

Old 02-18-19, 11:40 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
@Honusms I had meant to write, back when you had a picture of you with the huge Crescent wrench (getting a bottom bracket cup off), that I couldn't wait to see your Bertoni completed because I thought that the SRAM groupset was going to look stellar on that frame. And it does! Beautiful work!!
Old 02-18-19, 05:06 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Thank you, @RiddleOfSteel. I’m very new to this brifter stuff, but I think I’ll get used to it. Just need to keep track in my mind where the chain is ... The challenge of getting the aesthetics right is what I like ☺️ Gotta respect the original design. I just wish the newer cranksets weren’t so garishly branded.
Old 02-18-19, 08:39 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Thank you, @RiddleOfSteel. I’m very new to this brifter stuff, but I think I’ll get used to it. Just need to keep track in my mind where the chain is ... The challenge of getting the aesthetics right is what I like ☺️ Gotta respect the original design. I just wish the newer cranksets weren’t so garishly branded.
The brifter stuff is something I'm a big fan of. I still do downtube shifting on a few bikes--indexed very preferably (9 or 10 speeds, too)--and enjoy it, but I like the best-of-both-worlds result of modern (aka very capable) componentry with a vintage frame (ride quality and handling, looks too).

The branding and color scheme, well, and design, of newer cranksets and groupsets in general makes matching them to vintage frames a bit tricky. Non-metallic paint colors with simple graphics allow a sort of 'blank slate' approach with components. The paint and graphics recede, allowing the wheels and boldly-designed groupset to take center stage. Metallic paint colors like their complement of silver-adorned groupsets (kind of anything up until about 2010 it seems), though in the case of certain colors, like your Bertoni, the moody grey-champagne tone works with the serious-yet-restrained black components and finishing elements (bar tape, saddle, etc).

Modern groupset design has pretty well matched modern frame design in that both are bolder and louder and thicker etc etc etc. Put the newest stuff on a slender, traditionally-tubed steel frame and the frame will ask "Why are you shouting?" Big diameter frames like original Cannondales from the '80s (and continuing on) and Kleins allow the newest components to be hung on them because the big tubes match the thick, bold components (mostly cranksets). Both are proportional to each other. Cannondale's simpler non-metallic paint colors around the '90s help that as well.

If choosing a house is guided by the mantra "Location, location, location!" then outfitting C&V bikes in general (let alone with brifters/modern pieces) lives by "Composition, composition, composition!"
Old 02-18-19, 09:47 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
The brifter stuff is something I'm a big fan of. I still do downtube shifting on a few bikes--indexed very preferably (9 or 10 speeds, too)--and enjoy it, but I like the best-of-both-worlds result of modern (aka very capable) componentry with a vintage frame (ride quality and handling, looks too).

The branding and color scheme, well, and design, of newer cranksets and groupsets in general makes matching them to vintage frames a bit tricky. Non-metallic paint colors with simple graphics allow a sort of 'blank slate' approach with components. The paint and graphics recede, allowing the wheels and boldly-designed groupset to take center stage. Metallic paint colors like their complement of silver-adorned groupsets (kind of anything up until about 2010 it seems), though in the case of certain colors, like your Bertoni, the moody grey-champagne tone works with the serious-yet-restrained black components and finishing elements (bar tape, saddle, etc).

Modern groupset design has pretty well matched modern frame design in that both are bolder and louder and thicker etc etc etc. Put the newest stuff on a slender, traditionally-tubed steel frame and the frame will ask "Why are you shouting?" Big diameter frames like original Cannondales from the '80s (and continuing on) and Kleins allow the newest components to be hung on them because the big tubes match the thick, bold components (mostly cranksets). Both are proportional to each other. Cannondale's simpler non-metallic paint colors around the '90s help that as well.

If choosing a house is guided by the mantra "Location, location, location!" then outfitting C&V bikes in general (let alone with brifters/modern pieces) lives by "Composition, composition, composition!"
And I just recently found a bike that does better without modern wheels. I mocked up a Prologue frame with a modern wheelset after stripping and it didn't work. It puzzled me because I find modern wheels always look good to me. I finally figured out that the Prologue has enough going on with the two tone fade and multiple decals, that a modern wheelset just makes it too busy. I tried Fulcrum 5's and Bontrager Race Lites. I'll put the near new anodized MA 40's back on even though its more weight. Of course, this is all personal opinion

Last edited by sdn40; 02-18-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 01:00 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by sdn40
And I just recently found a bike that does better without modern wheels. I mocked up a Prologue frame with a modern wheelset after stripping and it didn't work. It puzzled me because I find modern wheels always look good to me. I finally figured out that the Prologue has enough going on with the two tone fade and multiple decals, that a modern wheelset just makes it too busy. I tried Fulcrum 5's and Bontrager Race Lites. I'll put the near new anodized MA 40's back on even though its more weight. Of course, this is all personal opinion
Every bike is a balance. And depending on your set of components and wheels, that factors into it noticeably. Obviously most importantly is the color scheme of your Prologue. I forget if you have the red/white or the grey/black. As I was able to obtain (having wanted it in the first place) a grey/black version, I wanted the components to be dark on it. And more speeds than just seven. Almost immediately the quest for full 7900-era Dura-Ace began. Between that and arriving at the optimal stem/bar combo, she is, pictured below, in her best form. And just a touch over 19 lbs (19 on the money or just under without bottle cage) with pedals. I'd love a set of deep section carbon wheels as that would look even more sinister. As it stands, you'll notice these WH-7850 (7800-era Dura-Ace alu/carbon medleys) are pretty low section by modern wheel standards. No traditional box section MA2/MA40s (which I very much like), but squared off in section no less (no V-shape at all). The wheelset's light weight (1431g) and lithe aesthetic truly complement the frame's light weight and lithe nature. The black and grey of the groupset matches the paint, and works to make this smoked and sinister looking bike.

Red/white Prologues (or any red/white bike) are tough to visually compose. It's either fully or near fully traditional (silver components, 7-speed, silver rims or MA40 dark grey) or fully aggressive with all black components and deep section wheels. The red/white just sort of sits on the fence, visually, to me, and it's up to me to take it one direction or the other. It offers no hints or desires, unlike, say a black or dark colored bike.

Anyway, here's what I have, and I think it's one of the best ways to compose this bike (there are not many bad ways to compose a grey/black Prologue, IMO). [pardon the interior shot]

Old 02-19-19, 01:31 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
You don’t have to use a modern, chunky looking crankset with brifters, despite what the manufacturers want you to believe/spend.
Old 02-19-19, 07:20 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Every bike is a balance.
The black and grey of the groupset matches the paint, and works to make this smoked and sinister looking bike.

Red/white Prologues (or any red/white bike) are tough to visually compose.

Anyway, here's what I have, and I think it's one of the best ways to compose this bike (there are not many bad ways to compose a grey/black Prologue, IMO).
He knows of which he speaks, thus proven.
Old 03-01-19, 11:31 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 1,866 Times in 1,064 Posts
Has anyone tried this sort of conversion on a bike with "aero" mounted DT shifters? Ie, downtube shifters on the top of the DT instead of the sides? How does it look?
Old 03-01-19, 11:55 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Has anyone tried this sort of conversion on a bike with "aero" mounted DT shifters? Ie, downtube shifters on the top of the DT instead of the sides? How does it look?
I'm going to put barcons on a bike with an aero mount in the near future. I can post a pic here so you can see what it looks like. The cable stop will look a little flashier than normal cable stops.
Old 03-01-19, 02:33 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Originally Posted by seypat
I'm going to put barcons on a bike with an aero mount in the near future. I can post a pic here so you can see what it looks like. The cable stop will look a little flashier than normal cable stops.
Cool. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-01-19, 02:44 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Like this?

Old 03-01-19, 02:51 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Nice. Very nice.

Old 03-01-19, 03:00 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Originally Posted by Chrome Molly

Like this?

Very cool. What is that cable guide?
Old 03-01-19, 03:36 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
An original Suntour part, to work with their bar ends. Probably unobtainium, but I lucked into one with the frame.

Old 03-01-19, 07:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by GregU

fantastic touring bike!
love the stem- it's my favorite too for vintage bikes. I have the stem on the 3 older road bikes i use the most. I like it way more than a super high -17deg technomic.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 03-01-19 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 02:59 PM
GregU

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2002 Specialized Sirius Pro, 1985 Vitus 979 (DuraAce 7400), 1985 Bianchi Trofeo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
fantastic touring bike!
love the stem- it's my favorite too for vintage bikes. I have the stem on the 3 older road bikes i use the most. I like it way more than a super high -17deg technomic.
Yeah, my dad replaced the Witcomb with a VeloOrange Campeur. Which is beautiful and awesome in every way. Except that super high Technomic stem. I don't know if a Dynamic II would work for him, but I did give him a VO stem from my collection because, really, looks matter! And with that seat and those fenders, he must agree with that line of thinking.

Old 03-03-19, 09:17 PM
royleroy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My 85 TREK 500 Series just updated with a full, near new 105 8 speed group and a few other goodies. Rides nice and smooth
on 25mm GP 4000 tires.

And as purchased
Old 03-03-19, 11:18 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

My new one!
Old 03-04-19, 01:49 AM
johnggold

Bikes: Hetchins, Dawes, Raleigh, Holdsworth, Standard Cycle Co, and others

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cmdr
I'm getting ready to put 9-speed DA on my 80's Miyata. Has anyone used the Sheldon Brown method for re-spacing the rear drop-outs?
I use two10mm threaded bolts big washers and six nuts and a centre tube made from 1/2 inch copper plumbing.

To make the tube strong enough I cut another tube to the same length then slit so it sits inside the first tube

Tighening the nuts expands the overall length. I go about half as much again to allow for springing back.

Its one job that has to be done slow and careful.
Old 03-04-19, 03:54 AM
johnggold

Bikes: Hetchins, Dawes, Raleigh, Holdsworth, Standard Cycle Co, and others

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Braze On is Better

I have never liked these bolt-ons but as I have got older, don't like downtube shifters either.

Most of my restorations for old frames involves respraying and new decals, so I normally remove any evidence of downshifters, and braze a single or double underneath.

If if want to use modern gear then I have to use modern shifters, but I have also installed handlebar top thumb
shifters such as Falcon which are easy to use but of course no indexing. Depends on the bike and who it's for..
Old 03-04-19, 07:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Nice. Very nice.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.