Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

brake cable/housing goes through tubing frame?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 08:46 PM
viet_Cong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey my friend wanted me to fix his bike brakes but i dont know what to do. the bike is a 21 speed laser triumph (made in canada) with falcon SIS,shifter etc.

my problem is that the rear cable/housing goes through the top tube of the frame. any1 know how to install the new cable/housing through that frame?

thanks.
Old 04-05-10, 10:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5782 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
It varies bike to bike. Some have very nice internal arrangements that lead the cables or housings out the other end beautifully. Others are made for fishing expeditions. All you can do is try. Lead the wire or housing through and see if it comes out the other end. If not, you can try snagging it with the elbow of a spoke or other homemade snare.

If the housing goes through it's ofetn easier to thread an inner wire first then feed the housing down the wire until it's led out the other end.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-06-10, 10:16 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Depending on where the housing exits the frame, it can be useful to remove the seatpost so that you can help the housing find the exit hole. This is only useful for bikes where the exit is right near the seat tube for obvious reasons.
Old 04-06-10, 10:22 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Triumph Laser (made by Raleigh ndustries Canada) is a very basic bike (cheap) and the internal cable routing system consits of a hole at ewither end of the tube. No guides, no stops, etc. As above, you have to simply fish through the cable or the housing (the cable is probably easier) then use the part fished through to guide the other part through.

It can be tricky, but there is no trick to it... just keep trying... maybe bend a little kink in the end of the cable before inserting so the end is more likely to push out of the frame when it arrives.
Good luck!

PS. next time you need to change cables, remove the inner cable or the houswing, but not both... then you can use the cable or housing to guide the housing or cable through.
Old 04-06-10, 10:24 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
fishing string... or just string + vacuum to get a lead through.

tie the string to the brake cable and housing and thread it through.
Old 04-06-10, 01:42 PM
viet_Cong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh ok thanks guys! im gonna try taking out the housing while the cable still in placed, then change the housing. after remove old cable then add in new cable.

thanks.
Old 04-06-10, 02:36 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
On one of my bikes there was a hole in seat tube where the top tube was brazed to the seat tube. I removed the seat post and was able to guide the brake cable through the cable guide from this hole with one finger.
Old 04-06-10, 02:52 PM
viet_Cong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh nice! let me check if i can do that for my bike. edit soon/
Old 04-07-10, 10:34 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
here is a link to a photo of the hole on the inside of the seat tube used to guide the cable into the guide.
Old 04-08-10, 08:24 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
If the previous housing is still there it is actually very easy. Remove the cable from the brake clamp and brake or frame ferrule. Push new cable housing onto the cable until it meets the old cable housing. Push the new housing through the rear at the same time you help the old housing come out the front. Once the new housing is through the frame remove the old housing and cable from the bike, cut the housing to size, and install the new cable through the new housing.
Old 04-08-10, 05:55 PM
viet_Cong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
here is a link to a photo of the hole on the inside of the seat tube used to guide the cable into the guide.
oh ok, yeah my bike doesnt have that spot :/ the hole ends up 3/4 fron the seat hole.

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
If the previous housing is still there it is actually very easy. Remove the cable from the brake clamp and brake or frame ferrule. Push new cable housing onto the cable until it meets the old cable housing. Push the new housing through the rear at the same time you help the old housing come out the front. Once the new housing is through the frame remove the old housing and cable from the bike, cut the housing to size, and install the new cable through the new housing.
oh ok thanks for ur ideal!

my plan is to
- replace the brake calbes (old housing still in place)
- then after ill take the housing out and cut the new peice to size
- slide in

thanks.