Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bye, Bye Team Sky........Hello McLaren!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 08:41 AM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Got this through my F1 feed:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...r-cycling-team

McLaren Teams up with Vincenzo Nibali

I've always been a fan and although recently their fortunes haven't been good, I believe they have some of the best engineering talent in the world.
Old 12-12-18, 09:14 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
I'm willing to wager serious money that Team Sky will not win the 2020 TDF.

Any takers?
Old 12-12-18, 09:58 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Share the dope
Old 12-12-18, 10:41 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I know people have strong opinions about Sky but its bad for cycling that they are ending. Hopefully somebody can pick up the team or another team. Hate to see any team dissolve.

the McLaren deal is really cool though. I think that will be a good deal for them. Looking forward to seeing that play out next year.
Old 12-12-18, 10:53 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
meh - I'll post what I posted in response to someone saying there has been value to sponsoring this sport in the past citing 7-Eleven/Motorola/Postal/ coors classic, tour de trump, etc. on the Velonews article about it :

"Won’t ever be mainstream and while licenses are slightly up this year (thanks to auto renewal) we’re down markedly again. 12% in racer days for the year. All that you mention Jon was popular 20-40 years ago. Even postal is over a decade gone.

While we all love the sport and some of us work on sustaining to growing it we have to face the reality that sponsorship of it is nothing short of charity from rich fans and it doesn’t hold any tangible marketing value at this point in our communities.

Count the teams that have folded and/or lost sponsorship in the last year or two. Look at the massive hemorrhaging of sponsors since Lance. It’s (currently) not an investment anyone at any company can justify with a straight face. Sorry."

Old 12-12-18, 11:04 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Didn't McLaren do up a bike with Specialized at some point? I seem to recall seeing a McLaren Venge.
Old 12-12-18, 11:57 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Didn't McLaren do up a bike with Specialized at some point? I seem to recall seeing a McLaren Venge.
Old 12-12-18, 01:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18380 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Cycling teams will come and go. No doubt the sport is evolving with new 21st century demands.

I wonder if they would do better with a FREE internet news feed.

Bring the money in with product placement. Who is riding a Colnago vs a Trek vs a Specialized.

What gear is needed to be a PRO?
Old 12-12-18, 01:24 PM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
They also did a Roubaix S-Works Edition in their papaya orange color. They in fact also helped on the Future Shock design.
Old 12-12-18, 01:31 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Cycling teams will come and go. No doubt the sport is evolving with new 21st century demands.

I wonder if they would do better with a FREE internet news feed.

Bring the money in with product placement. Who is riding a Colnago vs a Trek vs a Specialized.

What gear is needed to be a PRO?
As an interesting side commentary. On news.google.com the icon for the sports section is a road bike. Clicking on it never yields stories about bicycle sports. Just the usual football, soccer, golf, basketball, etc...
Old 12-12-18, 01:40 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
I'm willing to wager serious money that Team Sky will not win the 2020 TDF.

Any takers?
you would be correct.
Old 12-13-18, 05:13 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Cycling as a team sport with a “World Tour” league is doomed. I agree a previous post that the current model just doesn’t provide a good return on the investment.

I believe cycling should go the way of Kona, with qualifying events where anyone that can make the time and wants to go gets to participate. Open it to the masses. But the current team crap/drama is dying. Expect sponsors to continue to bail out in the near future.
Old 12-13-18, 09:02 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
That is gorgeous.
Old 12-13-18, 09:03 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by Slick Madone
They also did a Roubaix S-Works Edition in their papaya orange color. They in fact also helped on the Future Shock design.
Thanks Slick
Old 12-13-18, 09:38 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
"Won’t ever be mainstream and while licenses are slightly up this year (thanks to auto renewal) we’re down markedly again. 12% in racer days for the year. All that you mention Jon was popular 20-40 years ago. Even postal is over a decade gone.

While we all love the sport and some of us work on sustaining to growing it we have to face the reality that sponsorship of it is nothing short of charity from rich fans and it doesn’t hold any tangible marketing value at this point in our communities.

Count the teams that have folded and/or lost sponsorship in the last year or two. Look at the massive hemorrhaging of sponsors since Lance. It’s (currently) not an investment anyone at any company can justify with a straight face. Sorry."
So Vaughters is right. The model has to be changed or this slow death will simply continue. History tells us over and over again that this current benefactor business structure will not be sustainable.

Last edited by Clipped_in; 12-13-18 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-14-18, 05:36 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
So Vaughters is right. The model has to be changed or this slow death will simply continue. History tells us over and over again that this current benefactor business structure will not be sustainable.
I don't agree. Bascially you are predicting the demise of pro cycling. No. The business model doesn't have to evolve. It can remain at its current level of dysfunction. If teams don't survive over time it may not be a solid money making proposition. Rather, cycling will be sustained by passionate rich guys that want to win. Like sailing.
Teams will come and go as noted. A guy with deep pockets who knows a lot about the sport will come along and put together a team and try to win for the glory. The money he or she invested may have been given to charity but rather it is dedicated to pro cycling for passion of the sport. Not everybody that throws money at something has to grow their return. Their return maybe other than monetary.

Last edited by Campag4life; 12-14-18 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-14-18, 06:19 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Auto racing has the same problems, the same issues, the same lack of RoI ... and is still going strong.

Any sponsor would reach more people paying directly for TV advertising than sponsoring a sports team, but people like to own or sponsor sports teams for all kinds of reasons, not all logical or financially sound.

The joke in many forms of racing has long been, "How does one make a small fortune in racing? Start with a big fortune."

Think about it ... just a little ... here in a thread which is about a NEW Sponsor coming into the sport and starting a new team... people are saying "All the sponsors are leaving, all the teams are folding ... cycling is Doomed."

I guess the fact that one sponsor is leaving and closing down its team while another is entering and starting up a team proves ... what?
Old 12-14-18, 09:09 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I don't agree. Bascially you are predicting the demise of pro cycling. No. The business model doesn't have to evolve. It can remain at its current level of disfunction. If teams don't survive over time it may not be a solid money making proposition. Rather, cycling will be sustained by passionate rich guys that want to win. Like sailing.
Teams will come and go as noted. A guy with deep pockets who knows a lot about the sport will come along and put together a team and try to win for the glory. The money he or she invested may have been given to charity but rather it is dedicated to pro cycling for passion of the sport. Not everybody that throws money at something has to grow their return. Their return maybe other than monetary.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Auto racing has the same problems, the same issues, the same lack of RoI ... and is still going strong.

Any sponsor would reach more people paying directly for TV advertising than sponsoring a sports team, but people like to own or sponsor sports teams for all kinds of reasons, not all logical or financially sound.

The joke in many forms of racing has long been, "How does one make a small fortune in racing? Start with a big fortune."

Think about it ... just a little ... here in a thread which is about a NEW Sponsor coming into the sport and starting a new team... people are saying "All the sponsors are leaving, all the teams are folding ... cycling is Doomed."

I guess the fact that one sponsor is leaving and closing down its team while another is entering and starting up a team proves ... what?
I agree with you guys. The sport may never grow to be huge like football (either kind) but I suspect it will exist, even at a potentially reduced form, without any major changes to it's financial structure. Most of the major races have existed for over 100 years. For the vast majority of that time, there was less money available than there currently is. Plenty of other sports exist without the top athletes making huge amounts of money.
Old 12-14-18, 09:40 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

I expect that pro cycling will continue to survive and incrementally evolve just as it has for the last ~125 years.
Old 12-14-18, 03:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
I expect that Doping In pro cycling will continue to survive and incrementally evolve just as it has for the last ~125 years.
Fixed that for you.
Old 12-14-18, 07:04 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Fixed that for you.
I expect that Doping In pro SPORTS will continue to survive and incrementally evolve just as it has for the last ~125 years.

FIFY.
Old 12-15-18, 11:08 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Well, you guys may be right - or not. Certainly, things are on a downward trajectory.
In its current form pro cycling certainly doesn't fit well with the profit-driven American business model. Welcome to cycling in the oil rich nations... Until they get bored with it, and move on to something else. But for now, it seems to be their perceived pathway to legitimization in the global eye. At least in part. How would you like to race with a team owned or sponsored by MBS?
Old 12-15-18, 01:10 PM
Maelochs

There are a bunch of Saudi and other middle-Eastern teams in sports-car racing. Rich boys and toys ... and some of them drive really well, too. Nothing state-sponsored .... any more than Kazakhstann "officially" sponsors Team Astana. ("The current President, Nursultan Nazarbayev, has been leader of the country since then, and is characterised as authoritarian, with a government history of human rights abuses and suppression of political opposition. Kazakhstan has worked to develop its economy, especially its dominant hydrocarbon industry." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazahkstan))

Cycling might never catch on Really big in the U.S,. but frankly All sports, even NFL and NASCAR, are losing market share in the U.S. ... no one can compete with 157 channels ans multi-channel DVRs. For a lot of reasons, though ... rich guys like to own football and basketball teams .... pure money-losers ..... and some of them like to own racing teams in various speed sports.

As I mentioned above regarding advertising RoI, sponsoring sports teams is a loser. People do it for other reasons that making money.

(I just recalled a really big Russian bank sponsors some sports cars .... not that really big Russian banks are automatically associated with international money-laundering, supporting massively corrupt oligarchs, or financing what amounts to acts of cyber-war ...... )
Old 12-18-18, 11:50 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It's the main sponsor of the biggest, most successful team over recent history (at least as far as grand tours, especially TdF are concerned). We're not talking about Jelly Belly folding here, it's SKY! I think that's a significant event.

Maybe Festina will get back into it.
Old 12-18-18, 12:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
I misread the thread title and thought it was about Thomas McClary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.