Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Traveling to another city with a bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 11:18 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts

Owing chiefly to business travel, I commonly find myself in another city, in need of a bike to ride. When I can, i rent one, but a suitable bike is not always available to rent (though I've noticed that in many cities and locales in the US, good rental bikes are more readily available than just a few years ago.)

I just spent 2 weeks in the Bay Area, and suitable rental bikes were either not available or expensive. I considered taking my bike on the plane - I have a packing case and Delta charges $150 each way. But what to do on arrival at SFO with a bike in a bulky box? I didn't plan on renting a car and a taxi would have added another $100 each way....

So I shipped one of my bikes using one of the commercial services (I'm not a shill, but you can google to find them or ask me in a pm). $110 including insurance and all I had to do was drop it at a nearby Fedex. It took 4 days to arrive, so I shipped it a week before departure (but that's what n+1 is for, right?), but it worked perfectly. I shipped the bike to the business address of the people I was visiting - they take shipments from Fedex all the time, and it was no problem for them to store the box until I arrived. They also kindly stored the empty box until I needed it for the return trip 2 weeks later. And then they loaned my a handtruck to take the bike to the nearby Fedex affiliate.

But, word to the wise - I thought that for the return trip I would just take the bike to a Fedex affiliate and skip the middle man. The charge was going to be $380! So I quickly arranged the shipping via the internet using the same bike shipping web site, paid $110, printed out the pre-paid label and a nearby photocopy shop, and walked back in to the same fedex affiliate. Those bike shipping companies seem to have a bulk contract with Fedex that yields a steep discount.

So, for $220 I had a bike to ride in the Berkeley Hills for 2 weeks. It was, by far, the cheapest solution.

Oh yeah, I already own a large reusable cardboard box for shipping bikes. All I need to do is pull off the pedals and the seatpost and loosen the handle bars on the stem and the bike fits in no problem. It takes about 15 minutes to pack and unpack, with most of the time dealing with the packing tape.

Perhaps the biggest inconvenience was that I had to travel pretty heavy on the flight - cycling clothes, shoes, helmet, a pump, a couple of tools, etc. on top of my regular clothes and things, it all added up to a rather heavy duffel.
Old 07-20-15, 03:15 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Another option you could consider is to get a good folding bike (I won't shill either) that packs into a normal sized suitcase. You just check it in for whatever fee your airline charges for a suitcase. In my experience, it takes about 30 minutes to disassemble the bike and pack in into the suitcase, and perhaps 15 to assemble it at the other end.

Of course, that would make N+2....
Old 07-20-15, 07:54 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
That was good info. I wish I had known that a few weeks ago. Better late than never.
Old 07-20-15, 08:31 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,992 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Marley
Another option you could consider is to get a good folding bike (I won't shill either) that packs into a normal sized suitcase. You just check it in for whatever fee your airline charges for a suitcase. In my experience, it takes about 30 minutes to disassemble the bike and pack in into the suitcase, and perhaps 15 to assemble it at the other end.

Of course, that would make N+2....
That was going to be my suggestion! If you do a lot of travel and want to integrate cycling in your plans, there are some great folding bikes. Bike Friday makes one that fits in it's own suitcase that apparently does not incur the ridiculous fees airlines charge to transport bikes. On top of that, it converts to a trailer that can be attached to the bike. How cool is that?

They're not cheap, but if you travel a lot, worth it. I know people who have Bike Fridays ... and they love them.

Review: Bike Friday New World Tourist | Bicycle Times Magazine

Old 07-20-15, 10:04 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

I've long thought about a Bike Friday. As already mentioned, they are not cheap. But it may happen some time soon.
Old 07-20-15, 11:23 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
I agree with your concern about having a bike box or huge bike bag to store when you get where you are going. I have transported bikes around Japan on trains and planes. Many people do. One of their major stores, Montbell (much like REI or MEC), sells a very thin bike bag for about $40. Look up 'Compact Rinko Bag'. The main concern there is to keep the dirt and oil off other people's stuff. It doesn't provide much protection but is super light weight and packable (4"X10") so when you get to where you are going you can roll it up and stick it in a pannier or pack. I've never had a bike damaged while using one of these bags but, of course, there is some risk.
Old 07-20-15, 11:35 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I've traveled many times with a folding bike. Sometimes in a box, sometimes in a standard suitcase -
no extra charges if your airline has first luggage free.

Tobukaeru with 20 in. wheels; bought used on Craigslist US$150:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQN...6zPoymgKaIoDLA

Same Samsonite luggage with a Citizen Tokyo; bought used on Craigslist US$170:
2013 Citizen Tokyo in a suitcase by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR2T...IoDLA&index=22
Old 07-20-15, 12:10 PM
davesupra

Bikes: '22 Trek Checkpoint SL5, '21 Salsa Spearfish/'13 9ZERO7 Fatty/'16 Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Maybe just go to the local Target, Walmart, etc and buy a $150 bike and just throw it in the trash when you are done.

:-)
Old 07-20-15, 12:21 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by davesupra
Maybe just go to the local Target, Walmart, etc and buy a $150 bike and just throw it in the trash when you are done.

:-)
Yes, you are joking. And so I won't need to count the reasons why that's a bad idea.
Old 07-20-15, 08:39 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I actually I did this. Had to go to Vallejo CA for some Navy school so bought a throw-away bike in the Navy Exchange and used it for getting around.

scott s.
Old 07-20-15, 08:49 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by scott967
I actually I did this. Had to go to Vallejo CA for some Navy school so bought a throw-away bike in the Navy Exchange and used it for getting around.

scott s.
Well yeah - if the only other choice is no bike at all, I'll ride any bike. But why would I want to ride an awful bike when for slightly greater cost and not much inconvenience, I can ride one of my road bikes? I wasn't just getting around, I was taking advantage of one of the greatest near-city biking areas in the country - the Berkeley Hills. Most rides I did were about 100' climbing/mile, and most began with 1000' climbs. Riding a lousy bike would not have been the same.
Old 07-20-15, 09:15 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
One time, when in Santa Cruz for a week, I went to the Salvation Army, purchased a bike for $40, rode it and dropped it off at the Bike Church on my way out of town.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-21-15, 03:28 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DC Rainmaker covered this topic some years back. The case he uses is no longer made, not exactly, but very similar cases are available. Short version: soft-sided case as checked luggage. "What is it?" asks the airline. "Exercise equipment," says Ray. Airline then loads it on as standard luggage (so $25-$35 on most US airlines unless you're on Southwest or have status.)

DC Rainmaker

Another thought: the idea of buying a cheap bike isn't that outrageous. Walmart has a (I think) $169 road bike that actually isn't awful. Use it a couple weeks then donate it to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. Don't trash it, give it to charity. Someone will be thrilled to get it.

Last edited by bransom; 07-21-15 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link