Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adapting a Schwinn dog bike trailer to thru-axle bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 03:19 PM
HCB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Just picked up a Schwinn dog bike trailer to tow around my old pooch. I plan on attaching the trailer to my 2016 Giant Anthem Advanced SX MB with thru-axle. Obviously I'll need a longer axle to compensate for the added adaptor. Is there a brand you guys recommend?

Old 04-15-24, 03:32 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 398 Posts
Look up Robertaxleproject.com. They sell axles for this purpose.
Old 04-16-24, 05:39 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Look up Robertaxleproject.com. They sell axles for this purpose.
Seconded.

I'm using one of their axles for my Burley Bark Ranger. So far, so good. The website is also pretty easy to use, it wasn't difficult to identify and order the right axle. Delivery was prompt. No fuss, no muss.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-16-24, 09:00 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 2,686 Posts
Another plus one for Robert Axle Project and also a note make sure you install that thing properly and keep an eye on it. I also wouldn't take it off road. I wouldn't trust Schwinn for quality these days despite them having to put it on stickers on their bikes. I am sure it will be an OK low initial cost trailer but I always speak caution when carrying around loved ones. I did see someone recently flip their Schwinn Trailer on the sidewalk. Luckily nobody was in it and nobody was hurt and I don't think it was because it was Schwinn I just noticed what it was as it had flipped and it was recent enough the image is still there.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-22-24, 08:30 PM
pettravelcare

Bikes: Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prepare 3 wheels dog bike trailer. It is more stable. It will not put extra pressure to the bike itself.
Old 04-22-24, 08:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by pettravelcare
I prepare 3 wheels dog bike trailer. It is more stable. It will not put extra pressure to the bike itself.
The problem with the 3rd wheel is it is not needed and doesn't really add stability. My first trailer experience was with an old friend in Colorado after some big event we hung out with some folks and we decided to ride downtown and she was small enough and light enough to fit in the trailer she didn't want to ride herself the trailer did have three wheels and kept coming loose and having issues as a result.

Now maybe you have figured out a better way to do it but you really don't need any more stability than two wheels for a trailer as it is quite stable on its own unless you have an odd shaped trailer and mounting but a standard Burley set up or similar is generally plenty stable.
Old 04-22-24, 11:05 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked 3,455 Times in 1,813 Posts
My golden retrievers both flipped a newly purchased dog trailer. I wound up returning it.

Some dogs just hate that thing.

Robert Axle Project is te definitive answer to te OP's question, as others have noted.
Old 04-23-24, 08:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by pettravelcare
The construction is probably not balance.
Go to SGS compliant dog bike trailer from ibiyaya
Is that a product you are trying to sell?