Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

whats feasible

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

whats feasible

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-02, 07:10 AM
f86sabjf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats feasible

Hi Everyone

i currently own a cannondale r600.I was thinking of doing some weekend touring and was wondering how good the seatpost only panniers are .Are they worth the money?I figured they might do for the weekend stints.Unfortunately i don't have frame mounts so real ones are out of the question for now.
My wife won't quite go for a new bike 6months after buying this one.

thakns everyone
jeff
Old 08-18-02, 06:50 PM
RWTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are taking about saddlebags I let someone whos tried them answer that.From previous threads I think they got mixed reviews .However you dont need the braze ons (eyelets) to attach a rack to handle panniers .I put a Blackburn expedition rack on mine w/o the eyelets(actually the bike shop did) and that rack will support up to 40 lbs.By the way I noticed a link from this board yesterday to this rack for $14.99 which is a steal.What type of touring are you planning? A group of us forumers from So. Fl. are planning a tour up that way this fall.
Old 08-18-02, 07:17 PM
AnnieYak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I have a Cannondale Silkpath, and I had a rack mounted on the back. I have used panniers to do grocery shopping. The rack was only $50.00 and it was a blackburn.

Happy Spinning

Annie :fun:
Old 08-19-02, 04:24 PM
f86sabjf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI Rwtd

I'm not sure how long of a tour i will be doing.Probably long weekends 3-4days.Something I can feasibly sneak off and do once in a while.
I'm not sure if I explained myself quite right.I was referring to the racks that hold the panniers, if they would be a problem on my race type frame with that hourglass shape of a cannondale frame.
I guess the next question would be is how much space do i need for these3-4day fun trips.Could i realisticly get away with rears and a handlebar bag.
Let me know when and where you all will be going this fall and maybe i could join on for a few days.
If you need any help with roads or something else that i might be able to help with let me know.I drive for a living and know a great deal of the roads around here.

Talk to you later
Jeff feel free to e-m
Old 08-19-02, 08:54 PM
RWTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I understood you were talking about a rack for attaching the panniers to and I still would think you could attach a solid Blackburn type rack to it but ask your bike shop to be sure.What I did not take into account was that it was a racing type bike that you might not want to attach a permanent type rack to.The key question is will you be camping or staying in motels etc.If you are camping with tent and gear I would think you would need some kind of rear rack. You could possibly get away with one of those cheaper nonpermanent racks from Sports Auth. etc. that you could throw a tent and some gear on top of without panniers but that option might not leave room for much gear with a tent(you might consider a camelback with extra gear room with this option.Without a tent the nonpermanent rack or saddlebags would probably work.Do a search on saddlebags on this forum for discussion of pros and cons they are popular in England.I also am planning some long weekend type touring .I went to the Keys on 4th of July and will probably do this again on Labor Day weekend.I have a permanent Blsckburn rear rack but I just bungy a duffel,a fishing waist pack,a tent and sleeping bag to it for now without much for a handelbar bag and no panniers.I am still looking for panniers though and think you will start seeing some good deals this fall.For our fall trip we are tentively planning this Nov. to head up Rt. 27 to gainesville and then maybe cut back through Ocala Natl Forest and back down the East Coast (check the Biking Fl thread for the latest).Good Luck
Old 08-21-02, 10:37 AM
Buddha Knuckle
Infamous Dumpster Diver

Bikes: '89 Nishiki Cascade (set-up as a tourer); '99 Gary Fisher Aquila; late 80's John Howard (by Dave Hesch); '70 Schwinn 3spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you thought about Carradice-style bags? I think they are mad expensive, but a well executed design specific for lightweight racing bikes. Basically, the bags strap to your saddle rails AND your seatpost. Quick release models exist, too. Check out the Rivendell website if this sounds interesting.

BK
Old 08-21-02, 10:47 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm...

well, not sure, but i think you could attack a rear rack to your frame somehow, but it might mar your frame a little (metal ring clamps for instance would work i think -- there's probably some special product out there but i don't know of any). i personally have a rear rack on my old MTB i use for commuting and touring but i would NEVER put a rear rack on my road-race bike --- it's just too light and pretty and i have 3 other bikes... i think taking the rear-rakc on and off would be a major pain...

another option that is great for touring, although not terribly cheap ($200-300) is a BOB Trailer which i also have and have used for touring. you can fit as much or more in it that you can in a full set of front/rear expedition touring panniers and the thing rides great --- you can even do major off-road single track with it (i have!).

about the only problem with the BOB (other than cost) is that it is a little cumbersome if you have to walk the bike or park somewhere or get on a train, but not much worse than loaded fully panniers.

for your bike with the BOB, the only modification would be the rear skewer which would be replaced qith a special one to attach the trailer. then when you're not using the trailer you could simply ride with the BOB skewer in or take a minute and change it out if aou are concerned about the extra 50 grams or so...
Old 08-21-02, 03:11 PM
stewartp
put me back on my bike

Bikes: Airbourne Carpe Diem + own brand fixed gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use a Carradice SQR (seatpost quick release) bag and I think its great.

I have 2 bikes and I bought an extra seatpost clamp for the other bike so its a piece of piss to clip the bag to either bike.

It holds loads - all I need for 400k rides - toolbag, med pack, spare tyres, spare tubes, spare bibtights, waterproof jacket, phone, wallet, apples, nanas powerbars etc etc.

When I commute it carries my clothes for work as well as all the waterproofs.

I used to have a handlebar bag. This beats it hollow

Stew