Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Head unit options for Garmin Vector 3 dual

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-23, 01:46 PM
pullings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts

I bought a used bike, owner threw in a set of Garmin Vector 3 peddles.
I was able to add Garmin Connect app to phone and "blueooth" pair up to peddles, so they work.
What is a good budget head unit I can use with these?
I have speed, cadence and heartstrap (Garmin protocol) I use also.

Last edited by pullings; 10-13-23 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-13-23, 02:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
I think any of the Edge products that Garmin currently offers for cycling will have the ability to connect to PM pedals. So too will most of their sport watches. And likely the other makers of GPS head units like Wahoo, Lezyne and others will connect to those Garmin pedals.

The bigger question you have to answer is which has the features you might also want to help you with using the data a PM provides and other features like workouts and navigation if that's a thing you need.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-17-23, 12:06 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
IIRC Vector 3 can provide much more than power and cadence.
Garmin calls it “Cycling Dynanics”.

The only head unit brand I know that displays Cycling Dynamics is Garmin.
Garmin did try making it an open standard but nobody adopted it for their head unit.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 10-17-23, 03:43 PM
pullings

Thanks Barry2 and Iride201. :-)
After some research I am considering a Garmin Edge 830. I am still getting informed on the value-add of Garmin Connect app also.
v/r,
P
Old 10-17-23, 04:06 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
The 530 is the non-touch-screen version of the 830, and it has been more than adequate for me. I'm seeing it on sale occasionally, most recently at biketiresdirect.com ($255 for gold members.)
Old 10-18-23, 07:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I have the Edge 530 too. And I like it. But if going to one of the touch screen models is easily within your budget, I'd highly recommend you get a touch screen model. While buttons were fine with my old Garmin Edge 500 that I had for over 10 years, I've found that with all the newer features that are packed into the units today are a little complicated to get to with button pushes while on the bike. Screen touches and swipes make it much easier to get to the feature you might want whether on the bike or off the bike.

Most all the Garmin Edge devices are in the n40 versions. So that Edge 830 you are looking at is dated slightly. As with most all smart phones, computers and Garmin devices, the newer models will get updates and bug fixes longer than the previous models. Though if you find a significant bargain in the previous n30 models, then that's a consideration.

Not that the Edge 530 isn't a good model. It does almost everything one might need.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-18-23 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-18-23, 08:07 AM
pullings

Originally Posted by Iride01
I have the Edge 530 too. And I like it. But if going to one of the touch screen models is easily within your budget, I'd highly recommend you get a touch screen model. While buttons were fine with my old Garmin Edge 500 that I had for over 10 years, I've found that with all the newer features that are packed into the units today are a little complicated to get to with button pushes while on the bike. Screen touches and swipes make it much easier to get to the feature you might want whether on the bike or off the bike.

Most all the Garmin Edge devices are in the n40 versions. So that Edge 830 you are looking at is dated slightly. As with most all smart phones, computers and Garmin devices, the newer models will get updates and bug fixes longer than the previous models. Though if you find a significant bargain in the previous n30 models, then that's a consideration.

Not that the Edge 530 isn't a good model. It does almost everything one might need.
Great points and I Agree.....I like being able to select stuff "on the move" also....buttons are much more accommodating for this. On the flip side touch screen is more effective navigating more complex menus. The lack of touch screen is the only reason I did not instead decide to go with the 530.
It is more than I had hoped on spending though. If I did not already have the Garmin sensors and pedals I probably would have just kept my old $80 bike computer that displays data from Garmin HR strap, GPS-speed, and GPS-distance.
Old 10-18-23, 08:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by pullings
Great points and I Agree.....I like being able to select stuff "on the move" also....buttons are much more accommodating for this. On the flip side touch screen is more effective navigating more complex menus. The lack of touch screen is the only reason I did not instead decide to go with the 530.
It is more than I had hoped on spending though. If I did not already have the Garmin sensors and pedals I probably would have just kept my old $80 bike computer that displays data from Garmin HR strap, GPS-speed, and GPS-distance.
Just to be clear, I don't find buttons more accommodating while on the bike. There are features that just aren't easy to get to on or off the bike with button pushes. One is using the canned responses to some text messages that might come in while you are riding and you might want to answer back without stopping. Or sometimes even sending a quick canned message to someone in your Garmin Connect Group that is riding with you but might have gotten out of sight. There are other little features too that you might want to get to that buttons just make cumbersome.