Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt V2 not recording Power

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 01:35 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts

Sharing this with the BF crew on the off chance somebody has had this issue and has a solution. The Bolt displays my power throughout the ride and the Bolt shows power max and info in the ride history, but none of the power data is included in the FIT files.

I have opened a ticket with Wahoo...I doubt this is a common issue but I thought I'd throw it out to the team, cuz ya neva know!
Old 10-18-23, 03:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
When you say it shows power info in the ride history, I guess you mean the history on the device itself. And not what's uploaded to a site.

How do you know it's not in the .fit file? Have you looked with the fit file repair tool or another fit file viewer? If the app or site that you upload to isn't showing the power, then it might be a goof on their part from some recent change. But if you've tried uploading to several different sites and don't see power, then I'd be more apt to agree that power is missing from the .fit file.

With my Garmin, when ever the rare strange things happen, I'll usually do a soft reset of the device and then see if the strange things still happen.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-18-23 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-18-23, 07:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Oh, that’s a weird one! I can’t imagine what the nature of the logic problem in the Bolt might be for this one, but do keep us posted on what Wahoo say.

If I was to guess, though, I would say the info is saved if it’s displaying power data in the ride summary on the head unit, and therefore, the power data is in the output file, and the issue is in how you’re reading the saved .fit file.

What app are you opening the files in? Have you tried an alternate reader?
Old 10-20-23, 03:12 PM
BTinNYC 

So it's a known bug. The workaround is to use the standard Power setting; Power (vs workout ave). I did so and tested successfully today.

I really liked my setting: 3 sec ave power in a zone color block, and it'll get fixed in some update someday.

(I did use a FIT file file reader and that was cool, reminded me of of a telecom tool for diagnosing T-1 setup messaging and connection problems.)
Old 10-20-23, 04:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Interesting. At least you and all of us now know.

Not being a Wahoo type, I'm not understanding what the standard Power setting is.
Old 10-20-23, 08:20 PM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm not understanding what the standard Power setting is.
I don't understand the wahoo naming either. It's their default Power display setting.
Old 10-22-23, 08:31 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Wow, bad luck. I have mine set to 3sec avg in the color block, and power exports in the ride file fine.

Maybe you could try a full reset in hopes the bug doesn’t reappear because obviously it doesn’t affect all units.

Old 10-24-23, 05:04 AM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by chaadster
Maybe you could try a full reset in hopes the bug doesn’t reappear because obviously it doesn’t affect all units.
Next day with cruddy weather and few to-do's I'm doing exactly that. Probably less than 30 minutes to set up integrations and screens. Plus I like having my bike on a stand in the kitchen.
Old 10-25-23, 01:04 PM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by chaadster
Maybe you could try a full reset
Reset did fix this issue, clearing out the spaghetti of old configuration. A happy note on the process; the unit kept all of the SW updates intact.
Likes For BTinNYC: