Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Is this a Cinelli Supercorse frame? Age? Value?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 12:47 PM
miamibeachcg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

A friend of mine who owns a bike shop sold me this frame today for $150 (he is the same guy who sold me the Tommaso tt frame I posted here 2 weeks ago asking for info on). He told me he was pretty sure it was a Cinelli Supercorsa & it would be easier to build than the Tommaso if I wanted to, and that it was probably worth a grand or more as is.
Can anyone tell if this is a Cinelli Supercorse frame? What year it is (where is the serial number? I can't find it after looking everywhere!)? & what's it worth?

I also saw that under the paint job there is a chrome frame! Would it be better to strip paint & leave it all chrome?

I appreciate any help.

[IMG]AA BICYCLE CINELLI SUPERCORSA 1AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr[/IMG]

AA BICYCLE CINELLI SUPERCORSA 3AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE CINELLI SUPERCORSA 4AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE CINELLI SUPERCORSA 5A_AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE CINELLI SUPERCORSA 5AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE CINELLI SUPERCORSA 6AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr
Old 05-13-17, 01:02 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Not a Cinelli.
Old 05-13-17, 01:09 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
And a horrific paint job.
Old 05-13-17, 01:19 PM
exxongraftek

Bikes: No-name LH drive track. Also ride an Exxon Graftek, a Masi, a Trek R200 or a RR Boneshaker for fun!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In light of these unfortunate developments, best to strip to chrome to see what it is.
Old 05-13-17, 01:26 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by exxongraftek
In light of these unfortunate developments, best to strip to chrome to see what it is.
+1

It doesn't look low-end, but that paint has got to go.

Grab a jug of Citristrip, paint it on, and see what's under there after the rattle can peels off.
Old 05-13-17, 01:32 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
It does not look low end at all. I'd be curious to know what the design is which is stamped on the fork crown.
Old 05-13-17, 01:35 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
nd the seat lug has been pried open, I would guess to get a too large seat post out. This thing has been abused.

How good of "friend" is this guy.
Old 05-13-17, 01:41 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 1,709 Posts
Be wary of a dude who tells you a bike frame is worth $1000 but sells it to you for $150. That dog won't hunt.

As the owner of a bike shop, he should've pointed out the issue with the seat binder ears having been spread open. That right there affects value significantly.

If you post some more detailed pics of the lugs and dropouts it may be easier to assist in identification. That rear brake bridge is kinda distinctive - where have I seen it before?

DD
Old 05-13-17, 01:42 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
It does not look low end at all. I'd be curious to know what the design is which is stamped on the fork crown.
It appears to be the Columbus dove.

DD
Old 05-13-17, 02:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
nd the seat lug has been pried open, I would guess to get a too large seat post out. This thing has been abused.

How good of "friend" is this guy.
Yeah, someone has worked on it a bit, but I don't seen any cracks. It will close up with a new binder bolt.

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
It appears to be the Columbus dove.

DD
That means it could be a replacement fork.

Any signs of rippling in the top tube and down tube, just behind the head tube? The Top tube almost looks like it is bent in the first photo, but it is hard to tell, perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me.

'what are the threads in the bottom bracket? English?

I'm seeing heart shaped lug cutouts. I think those were pretty common. The bottom bracket doesn't look too spectacular.

I'm guessing a mid-range Asian import.
Old 05-13-17, 02:22 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Yeah, someone has worked on it a bit, but I don't seen any cracks. It will close up with a new binder bolt.

That means it could be a replacement fork.

Any signs of rippling in the top tube and down tube, just behind the head tube? The Top tube almost looks like it is bent in the first photo, but it is hard to tell, perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me.

'what are the threads in the bottom bracket? English?

I'm seeing heart shaped lug cutouts. I think those were pretty common. The bottom bracket doesn't look too spectacular.

I'm guessing a mid-range Asian import.
Except the "Dove" is also extant on a seat stay...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
34473538352_3917ea0f94_z.jpg (100.6 KB, 252 views)
Old 05-13-17, 02:35 PM
miamibeachcg

He said it was Columbus frame when I asked about the dove stamps.

He is a good friend - he sold me a Tommaso crono tt frame for $100 & is building a beautiful vintage Peugeot road bike for me from another frame I picked out - for $125 total.

And he fixes any problems on bikes I find in storage auctions, thrift stores, etc - and if I don't have the money he will wait until I sell the bike.
He also packs bikes (wrapping frame to protect it + zip tying wheels, handle bars, etc to frame to keep them from moving around and hurting frame) that I sell oneBay for me for only $25 - including the box
In fact I asked him when I dropped off the Tommaso to be boxed today if he had any more old frames I could buy to sell, when he gave me this one & said he thought it was a Cinelli Supercorse. If it's not a good bike he'll give me my money back without questions - he's not a scammer type at all.
He gets his vintage bikes donated from local police dept auctions+ some that people have left over the years - he has a back store room full of old bikes hanging everywhere (including a nice old Maserati road bike that he doesn't know what it's worth is. I will take some pics & post - because I'd like to know it's worth so I know what to offer him for it)
The only thing about him that is not good is his painting skills suck, but his heart is gold! lol
I will go by home depot and buy a can of citristrip & try to remove paint - any areas besides the lugs I should focus on & post more photos of that may help identify the bike?
Thanks for the help so far!
Old 05-13-17, 02:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
Except the "Dove" is also extant on a seat stay...
Missed that photo, and the others weren't clear.

So, what companies use generic Columbus lugs and crowns with round tubes? That may well indicate a fairly small shop building the frame. Custom?

Last edited by CliffordK; 05-13-17 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 02:57 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

<stirred from stupor emoji>

Originally Posted by miamibeachcg
... a nice old Maserati road bike that he doesn't know what it's worth is. I will take some pics & post - because I'd like to know it's worth so I know what to offer him for it)...
Thanks for the help so far!
<ears perking up emoji>

Please photograph the underside of the bottom bracket, especially any serial numbers, for the Maserati?
Old 05-13-17, 08:21 PM
miamibeachcg

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

If you post some more detailed pics of the lugs and dropouts it may be easier to assist in identification. That rear brake bridge is kinda distinctive - where have I seen it before?

DD
Here are best photos I could get of the lugs & droputs until I get the paint off. Do these help anyone have an idea who made the frame?
Thanks again

[IMG]AA BICYCLE CINELLI LUGS &amp; DROP OUTS 2A_AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr[/IMG]

AA BICYCLE CINELLI LUGS &amp; DROP OUTS 2AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE CINELLI LUGS &amp; DROP OUTS 3A_A by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE CINELLI LUGS &amp; DROP OUTS 3A_AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE CINELLI LUGS &amp; DROP OUTS 4AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE CINELLI LUGS &amp; DROP OUTS 4AAA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE CINELLI LUGS &amp; DROP OUTS 1AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr
Old 05-13-17, 08:26 PM
miamibeachcg

And the rear brake bridge - which I've never seen before - hope these help
[IMG]AA BICYCLE CINELLI SUPERCORSA 3AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-13-17, 08:34 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 639 Posts
Not a Cenilli but was once a very good frame but it's trashed IMHO, as well as the paint and seat bolt mentioned even from the pics I'm pretty sure the whole frame is about 1-2cm out of alignment overall enouth that it would be iffy to reset and pretty much dead value wise.
Old 05-13-17, 09:03 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Not a Cenilli but was once a very good frame but it's trashed IMHO, as well as the paint and seat bolt mentioned even from the pics I'm pretty sure the whole frame is about 1-2cm out of alignment overall enouth that it would be iffy to reset and pretty much dead value wise.
Please elaborate.

From looking at this photo, with what appears to be directly overhead sunlight, both fork ends and dropouts are aligned, and the stays appear equidistant from the frame centerline.

Hey, but what do I know? I'm only looking at shadows...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
34594683336_7e36457b3d_c.jpg (100.8 KB, 240 views)
Old 05-13-17, 09:12 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

It could just be the photo's and paint but the whole rear looks to be off basically whole bike bent in middle.
l
Old 05-14-17, 12:08 AM
miamibeachcg

Frame is straight all the way around
Old 05-14-17, 08:25 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
That looks like powder coat to me, hard to get off if it is, good luck.
Old 05-14-17, 08:28 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Not withstanding the severely bent seat post clamp which may or may not be as minor as Clifford thinks it is, the discussions here demonstrate the unlikelihood of the subject bike being anywhere near the value ascribed to it by the original seller. In fact, given that it is an unknown origin, but looks nice, and has been abused, In its current condition its was about FMV or maybe a little slightly high.

OP friend may be a great guy, but he is no bicycle mechanic. (Based totally on the previous posts and this thread, since I have not read his side of the story this may be an overly harsh judgement.)
Old 05-14-17, 09:28 AM
zukahn1 

I never intended to be way down on this frame it is a real nice framebasically worth $150 the op paid for it that should make a great rider once you straiten the seat clamp and double check the alignment both of which can likely be done cold. It's just not super nice Cinnelli worth spending $300-400 on to have stripped worked on and professionally repainted.

Last edited by zukahn1; 05-14-17 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-14-17, 10:01 AM
exxongraftek

Bikes: No-name LH drive track. Also ride an Exxon Graftek, a Masi, a Trek R200 or a RR Boneshaker for fun!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like one of the older Palo Alto frames (IIRC made by Billato or BMZ?) as that maker used those crowns/caps extensively.

Columbus tubing, likely SL. Worth as much as paid for, maybe a bit more if the boo-boos are easily fixed.
Old 05-14-17, 03:20 PM
Mr.Toolbox

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
omg, that paint job looks horrible!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.