Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2006 century-a-month club

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 04:24 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of my goals for 2006 is to do a century every month. It's not that hard to do, so join in.

I got the first one out of the way today.

Weather: 35-40 degrees and windy for most of the ride
Route: Typical Toledo- flat and windy. I'm hoping to do a March century in Terre Haute.
Distance: 100 miles. I wanted to get this one over ASAP.

Story: I hadn't done any rides over 60 miles so far this year, and it showed. I felt like crap from around mile 75 on, but if the weather is nice and you have a chance in January, you have to take advantage of it. My time was slow, and I can't blame the wind. I had plenty of windy rides last year with better results. My January century last year was a slow one too, so I won't worry about it too much.

If I don't have to wear bulky gloves next time I'll try to take some pictures. February is an important month. It's only 28 days long and you never know- it could snow like crazy.

Let's hear your journey!
Old 01-08-06, 04:41 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dx

Are you averaging the same mileage each month to make your 10k or are you weighting certain months more? I know Feb. is short and crappy but count on drought in July /August in Ohio.
Old 01-08-06, 04:51 PM
OC Roadie
Out of Commission

Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does 96.5 miles count? If so, I got mine in on the 1st. We'll be doing 120 with a group from Bike Forums in a couple weeks. I should be able to get at least one century in each month and an occasional double. I've been keeping my eye on you and Macca123 on BikeJournal . Congrats on your first century of the year .
Old 01-08-06, 05:15 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first will be on Jan 20th. Solo ride out and back of 160km on the nose. I'm gonna take this first one pretty slow. Cold weather and my route is known for being a pretty strong headwind for one direction or the other. But, there won't be snow on the route and that's why I chose it.

VW
Old 01-08-06, 06:10 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daytonian
Dx

Are you averaging the same mileage each month to make your 10k or are you weighting certain months more? I know Feb. is short and crappy but count on drought in July /August in Ohio.
I doubt I can get in 800 miles Jan, Feb, and December, so I'm hoping for a couple 1,000 mile months in the summer to make up for that. I want to go on a 1 or 2 week tour at the end of August, so that should help a lot.

Last year I took a lot of days off, but this year I'm focusing on doing active recovery, even if it's just 10 miles. The little stuff adds up.
Old 01-08-06, 06:16 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
I doubt I can get in 800 miles Jan, Feb, and December, so I'm hoping for a couple 1,000 mile months in the summer to make up for that. I want to go on a 1 or 2 week tour at the end of August, so that should help a lot.

Last year I took a lot of days off, but this year I'm focusing on doing active recovery, even if it's just 10 miles. The little stuff adds up.
that would be awesome
Old 01-08-06, 06:21 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that would be awesome
Yeah. I want to go out west and do a credit card tour. I've never ridden up a mountain, and that's something I need to do. I have the body of a climber, but probably not the skills. I know a credit card tour is not very hardcore, but I want to ride as far and as fast as possible.

I think I'm going to have to do summer school this year, but I'll be free from 9/5-9/20.
Old 01-08-06, 06:23 PM
Jakey
Feed me your soul!

Bikes: Torelli 20th Anniversary, Trek 2000, Kona NuNu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a guy here in Salem Oregon, who is leading a century every sunday. If I were single, I would do it.
Old 01-08-06, 06:26 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah. I want to go out west and do a credit card tour. I've never ridden up a mountain, and that's something I need to do. I have the body of a climber, but probably not the skills. I know a credit card tour is not very hardcore, but I want to ride as far and as fast as possible.

I think I'm going to have to do summer school this year, but I'll be free from 9/5-9/20.
Is that like a guided tour w/ sag car and food lodging?
Old 01-08-06, 06:31 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that like a guided tour w/ sag car and food lodging?
It could be. For me it just means instead of taking all the camping gear I'm just going to take my credit card and stay in hotels. Not as cheap, but it seems like less of a hassle.
Old 01-08-06, 06:36 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish my wife would take up cycling (bought her 05 Trek 1000 w/ 20 miles ridden since June but I'm not sore ) so we could do something like that.
Old 01-08-06, 06:39 PM
cyclesematic
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Habanero Titamium Team, Cannondale Criterium, Team Fuji Time Trial, Specialized Stumpjumper, Little 500 Roadmaster, Schwinn Prelude (1st bike), Schwinn 754 (2nd bike), Marinoni Time Trial Bike, K2 Enemy Cyclocross Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hoping to do a March century in Terre Haute.
I know some of the Terre Huate knuckleheads that would join you in March. That's my hometown and I get back there a couple of weekends a month now that I'm living in Peoria, IL. What weekend are you planning to do it?
Old 01-08-06, 06:48 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclesematic
I know some of the Terre Huate knuckleheads that would join you in March. That's my hometown and I get back there a couple of weekends a month now that I'm living in Peoria, IL. What weekend are you planning to do it?
I'm not sure yet. Either the weekend before or after the week of March 13th. I just graduated from ISU last eyear.
Old 01-08-06, 06:52 PM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan to do the same here in NC! That is only 3.3 miles per day on avg.
Old 01-08-06, 07:35 PM
eskimo85

Bikes: giant comp2 tcr, giant xtc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im in
Old 01-08-06, 07:40 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by msheron
I plan to do the same here in NC! That is only 3.3 miles per day on avg.
He means the whole thing in one day.
Old 01-08-06, 07:43 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I did a century (100 miles in one day) each month in 2003 and 2005 ... and I've got my January century in this year already in an attempt to do one each month of 2006.

I log these centuries on the thread in the Bicycling Forum's Long Distance forum:
https://forums.bicycling.com/thread.j...51041&tstart=0

And on the other century challege there: the Multiple 6 in 2006 Challenge:
https://forums.bicycling.com/thread.j...51050&tstart=0

I also log my centuries on the Big Dogs site because they have a Century-A-Month challenge too:
https://www.big-dogs.org/scripts/bdhome.asp

If you are a UMCA member, you might consider logging with them too:
https://www.ultracycling.com/standings/umc.html
Old 01-08-06, 09:07 PM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jakey
There is a guy here in Salem Oregon, who is leading a century every sunday. If I were single, I would do it.
I should try this. Perhaps it would help my marrige.
Old 01-08-06, 10:12 PM
macca123
taking the piss

Bikes: avanti vivace, repco piece of $#IT and a raleigh mtn bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OC Roadie
Does 96.5 miles count? If so, I got mine in on the 1st. We'll be doing 120 with a group from Bike Forums in a couple weeks. I should be able to get at least one century in each month and an occasional double. I've been keeping my eye on you and Macca123 on BikeJournal . Congrats on your first century of the year .
Oooh an admirer lol I am currently only one position ahead of the chulo. I will put in another 70 odd km's today as soon as i drag my arse of this computer seat lol.
Old 01-08-06, 10:56 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OC Roadie's apple pie ride in 3 weeks will be my first attempt at a century. If I make it, then I'm toying with the possibility of riding a century each month. If I don't make it, I don't think I'll be trying again in January, so there goes 2006.
Old 01-08-06, 11:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by jschen
OC Roadie's apple pie ride in 3 weeks will be my first attempt at a century. If I make it, then I'm toying with the possibility of riding a century each month. If I don't make it, I don't think I'll be trying again in January, so there goes 2006.

That's sort of what happened to me in 2004. We set all kinds of records that January for snow and cold in Winnipeg, and I just didn't get my century in ... so ... no Century-A-Month for 2004.

In a way I envy the riders from further south. They are pretty much guaranteed to get some nice days each month throughout the year, so there's really no reason for not completing a Century-A-Month (as far as weather goes). However, for me, January, February, November, and December are a gamble. There may be nice days on a day when I can ride a century ... or there may be no nice days, and I could be out of luck.

(BTW - when I talk about "nice days" I mean anything over about -20C/-4F, not snowing heavily, and roads clear enough of ice to be able to ride at least a short loop safely)
Old 01-09-06, 12:17 AM
Belugadave

Bikes: 1999 LeMond Zurich and 2004 Giant OCR Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in!! I did a century a month last year and want to do it again this year. I just did my January century yesterday. It was a beautiful day in Denver and I picked a real flat route so it went real well. On one of those "Century a Month" websites, they allow you to miss a month if the weather is bad and if you make it up by doing two in the following month. DX - is that allowed with this Century a Month Club?
Old 01-09-06, 12:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Belugadave
I'm in!! I did a century a month last year and want to do it again this year. I just did my January century yesterday. It was a beautiful day in Denver and I picked a real flat route so it went real well. On one of those "Century a Month" websites, they allow you to miss a month if the weather is bad and if you make it up by doing two in the following month. DX - is that allowed with this Century a Month Club?

Which website is that? None of the ones I know about allow that freedom. It has been discussed on the Bicycling Forum one, but over there we decided it wasn't really a century a month anymore if you missed a month. And that was partly why the other challenge (this year the Multiple 6 in 2006 Challenge) was introduced. With that challenge, you log all the centuries you do and you move up in the levels as you complete more ... and it doesn't matter what month you do them in.

However, I'll leave any rule making here up to the people here.
Old 01-09-06, 10:39 AM
OC Roadie
Out of Commission

Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by macca123
Oooh an admirer lol I am currently only one position ahead of the chulo. I will put in another 70 odd km's today as soon as i drag my arse of this computer seat lol.
Where did you get the idea that I admire you?? From you're "having a go at you" thread, I'd say it's quite the opposite. Using someone for motivation is much different in my book than admiration. At least for the first week of the year, you lived up to your hype. Keep up the riding, and quit dogging those that can't fit 8,000+ miles in a year, and then maybe I'll "admire" you.
Old 01-09-06, 03:15 PM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
ok.... i think i probably knew this from the other thread... but it just clicked! you are a masochist! the apple ride is to be your FIRST century EVER!!!! you are BRAVE!!!!!! cuz not only is this MORE than a century (close to a double metric).. it's got TONS of climbing!!!!!!

good for you for trying this! i know i wouldn't have used it as my FIRST century!!!!! ok... no more picking on jschen for not owning any jeans!!!!!

HOWEVER... i want you to promise that if you don't make this.. that you WILL try for another century within a couple of months (or sooner ) but a flatter one! that way once you have one under your belt... you'll see they are possible (uhm... how about tour de palm springs on february 11? that would be good cuz it's basically flat.... and WELL supported (a ton of sag stops!) there is one section of really crummy roads in indio.... but otherwise.. it's a great first century!)

still in shock that you chose the apple pie ride for you FIRST!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.