Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2006 century-a-month club

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2006 century-a-month club

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 10:39 PM
reneuend
RiverCity

Bikes: Trek Pro 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
Hello!
I need to participate in a timed century in March of this year. I live in Chicago area and would like to do it reasonably close to home.
I found an organized ride in Columbus, Ohio on April 6. That is 14 hours round trip by car and I have to go on this bike tour on April 20.
Do you guys know anything suitable? Winnipeg, Canada is a bit far for me and so is California.

Are you looking for a timed century closer to home? How far is Cedar Valley, Iowa from you? There is a 200k brevet on April 1st. (I'm looking at the rusa.org website).
Old 02-01-06, 12:32 AM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my January century in on the 28th. See the link in my sig for details, and posts 26-29 of that thread if you want my take on the ride. I had a wonderful time. I don't think I'll be continuing to try for a century each month, though. Though it was a wonderful experience, what made it so wonderful was the people along for the ride. I can't imagine managing to take enough Saturdays off from work to be riding centuries with other people regularly. And a solo flat century would probably put me to sleep, and an ultra-hilly one would run the risk of finding me bonked far from home.

I will ride more centuries. Just maybe not every month. My January century was a very special experience for me, but I guess regular century riding really isn't high enough a priority for me to be taking up so many precious Sunday ride slots. I must say, though, that I have a newfound and deeply profound respect for those of you up for riding a century every month. Especially those of you who manage to ride them solo. You guys are amazing.

That said, maybe in a few weeks, I'll be itching to ride another century, and I'll be back on board. Who knows...
Old 02-01-06, 01:10 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd kill for people to ride centuries with where I am. Unfortunately, I'm at a severe lack of long distance riders. My solo centuries are certainly not by choice. Anyone want to fly to Japan to do centuries in the mountains with me?

VW
Old 02-01-06, 10:46 AM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadVW
I'd kill for people to ride centuries with where I am. Unfortunately, I'm at a severe lack of long distance riders. My solo centuries are certainly not by choice. Anyone want to fly to Japan to do centuries in the mountains with me?

VW
Sounds fun. But a bit outside the means of a grad student.
Old 02-01-06, 01:27 PM
reneuend
RiverCity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
I don't think I'll be continuing to try for a century each month, though. Though it was a wonderful experience, what made it so wonderful was the people along for the ride.
I didn't think I would either, but after a couple of weeks, I was ready to go again. I'll be doing my February century on the 14th!
Solo again
Old 02-01-06, 08:13 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather was finally nice on a Wednesday, so I didn't waste any time getting a February century in.

103 miles, same old flat and windy Toledo crap. I was close to LT going 12 lousy mph at one point. That tailwind was a lot of fun though.

Random Stats: 23 mph wind at 1:00. Avg cadence- 91

Now that February is over it should be smooth sailing until December.
Old 02-01-06, 08:21 PM
mikemets5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather forecast for this Saturday says high 40s, cloudy, and a slight chance of showers. Not great for sure, but might have to take it for my February century. If I don't, and Winter comes back to the Northeast, then I'd be kicking myself.

Probably insures a solo ride though
Old 02-02-06, 08:47 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reneuend
Are you looking for a timed century closer to home? How far is Cedar Valley, Iowa from you? There is a 200k brevet on April 1st. (I'm looking at the rusa.org website).
Thanks. It is a little closer than Columbus, Ohio. The April 1 date is better for me than the 6.
Someone on this BF suggested that I get a Public Notary to certify a solo century ride.
That would be time efficient and can be done on any reasonable day in March here on a flat Illinois Prairie path. I could possibly also get a local Bike Club official to do the certification. Both options save me the driving time.
Old 02-02-06, 01:14 PM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the 28th of January I officially joined this club (Applie Pie Challenge) and I will have a February ride on the 11th to take care of the 2nd for the year...

Just a question - Can I count a double or must I complete smaller 100 mile ride?

Sometimes I will have both in the same month, but just in case...
Old 02-11-06, 08:41 PM
mikemets5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my February Century is in the bank. 102 miles, with temps ranging from 21 - 36. Plenty of climbing to keep us warm
Old 02-11-06, 08:46 PM
Specialrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Century a month, pretty easy, just hope this snow gets gone so i can get it on!!!

Old 02-12-06, 09:53 AM
mikemets5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Specialrider
Century a month, pretty easy, just hope this snow gets gone so i can get it on!!!
"pretty easy" guess that's why you're special.

Winter centuries in the south...easy? obviously
Winter centuries in the northeast...harder

Whiteout here, and they've up the expected snow totals for northern Westchester to 30"
Glad I got it in yesterday
Old 02-12-06, 04:34 PM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Palm Springs century was completed yesterday, that completes #2 for me
Old 02-12-06, 07:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
OK, here's my January century, completed on January 1st:

Date: January 1, 2006
Riders/Name: Machka
Ride name: January Jaunt
Group or solo ride: Solo
Ride [total] time: 11 hours
Ride [on bicycle] time: 9.5 hours
Ride distance: 162.5 kms (101 miles)
Average temperature: Low = -6C / High = -3C
Any Comments on ride:

Weather conditions: Fog, fog, and more fog ... light patchy fog, or thick fog blanketing the earth and closing me in making me feel like I was cycling in my own little room, or fog containing ice crystals and bits of snow which pelted my face, stuck to everything I wore, and covered the ground in a powdering coating!!

Road conditions: not slippery, for the most part, but everything was covered in a sticky, melting snow/slush with bits of sand and salt in it. That snow/slush stuff kept getting caught up in between my tires and fenders causing the bicycle to slow suddenly ... so suddenly on a couple occasions, I nearly went over the handlebars. But in general it slowed me down ... it was like having your brakes rubbing all the time. Poor Machak was COVERED in that snow/slush stuff when I was done.

Bicycles: started with my Mongoose Mtn bike (40+ lbs) for the first 41 kms, and finished with Machak.
Old 02-12-06, 07:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
And this is my February century, completed today. Incidentally, this is my 98th 100 miles, or longer, ride I've done.

Date: February 12, 2006
Riders/Name: Machka
Ride name: Fabulous February!
Group or solo ride: Solo
Ride [total] time: 9 hours
Ride [on bicycle] time: 8 hours
Ride distance: 165.6 kms (102.9 miles)
Average temperature: Low = -6C / High = +10C
Bicycle: Machak

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day!! It got to +10C/50F, the sun was shining, and there wasn't much wind ...... I kept wondering when something like a nasty arctic storm was going to move in, and make the day more ... normal. But it just kept getting better and better!! I explored roads I haven't ridden before. I took photos. I talked to llamas, cows, and horses. I rode with bare hands - no gloves!! I haven't had such a good, fun ride in probably 5 months.
Old 02-20-06, 04:41 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Date: February 20, 2006
Rider: Me
Ride Name: Oshima Island Loop
Magnalox File: https://www.magnalox.net/log/no.php?f...4&sid=dc06267a
Group or solo: solo
Ride [total] time: 6hr 10min
Ride [on bicycle] time: 5:49:38
Ride Distance: 162.86
Avg Speed: 27kph Total Ascent: 1380m
Cycle: Roubaix

Started the first 60k in light rain at noon, ick. Finally stopped raining around 2pm, and at 3pm the sun broke out for 50-52* temps. Wasn't sure if this was going to be the day, but when I got back on base with 145k, I did one of my usual training laps of 15k to finish off the century for Feb. Glad to have this one out of the way now, two weeks to the first 200k brevet. The magnalox file shows 159.xxk, due to track reduction on the GPS. It only takes 2048 track points, and the whole route was around 2400 points.

VW
Old 02-20-06, 11:03 AM
danimal123

Bikes: 1991 (?) Trek 1420; 2006 Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in!

My first century (and only organized century to date) was on 12-4-05 (18.2 mph...time on-bike). That got me hooked.

My solo centuries to date:

1-15-06: 100.5 miles, 17.1 mph
2-11-06: 100.0 miles, 16.9 mph
2-18-06: 103.5 miles, 17.2 mph

All mph's are on-bike times, not counting rest stops, etc. Oddly enough, I've never matched my personal best avg. mph which was done on my very first century using my 15 year-old commuter bike. I now use a new Trek 2100, which is really light & fast, but I can't get close to that 18.2 mph mark. Maybe because I'm going solo?

I've got it a lot easier than a lot of you folks...Florida's flat and (relatively) warm this time of year. It is very windy, though (and June-Sept is going to be brutal).

Dan
Old 02-20-06, 11:53 AM
reneuend
RiverCity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running out of time for February and I'm going to pay for procastinating!

I'm going to try to get my February Century done this Saturday, but the weather forecast is rain/snowshowers. I'm not as fast as the rest of yall (January ride took over 8hrs).
I might have to take a sick day sometime this week when its clearer. Unfortunately, its going to be as cold as the January ride. I'll report later when I finally pull it off.
Old 02-26-06, 10:43 PM
Belugadave

Bikes: 1999 LeMond Zurich and 2004 Giant OCR Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just in time! I got my February Century in today. My wife's in the Century a Month Club also since she did both the January and February centuries with me. Beautiful day in Denver for a long ride. It was 35F when we started at 8:00am but it was sunny and got up in the mid 60'sF in the afternoon. 7.5 hours total time, 6.5 hours ride time.

My wife's amazing, I was checking her road bike last night in preparation for the ride and I went to clear her last ride off the cycle computer and what do I see, the 100 mile ride we did in January. She has now done 2 rides on her road bike this year and both of them have been centuries (she's only done 1 other ride this year on her mountain bike).
Old 03-01-06, 08:13 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking forward to March. Spring should be coming any time now. Today's weather wasn't very spring-like, but I got a century in anyway.

101 miles
33 degrees, 7-10 mph wind (nice surprise)
90 rpm avg. cadence

Random Stat: This is #7 for the year so far.

Spring break is next week for me and I'll be back in Terre Haute, so I'm looking forward to getting some more in.
Old 03-05-06, 07:56 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First brevet complete in Japan. 200km ride. Here's the stats:

Date: March 5, 2006
Rider: Me
Ride Name: BRM305, Ajinki
Group or solo: Group
Ride [total] time: 10hr 20min
Avg Speed: 20kph
Ride [on bicycle] time: 8:27:34
Moving Avg Speed: 24.5 kph
Ride Distance: 207.4km
Total Ascent: 1613m
Cycle: Roubaix

The first and last 50km were both through city streets with a lot of traffic lights. First 50km took 2:45 on its own. Last 50k took 2:30. Middle 100k was right at 4 hours with a half hour stop at the halfway checkpoint for some ice cream and a power bar. I'm not sure if I'll ride a trip on this route again. The traffic on the route was pretty tremendous and the amount of stop and start was really frustrating at times.

In the end, the trip was good, and I met a handful of folks that made for a good ride. I attached the ride profile. Nothing like a 2km 15% grade at 165km. It was the first time in a long time that I was REALLY close to just saying, "I'll walk."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
profile.JPG (43.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by NomadVW; 03-05-06 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 08:56 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been doing a century a month for 10 years now...whats the big freakin deal?

(100 total miles every month )
Old 03-06-06, 10:38 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got my pictures uploaded from my brevet. I saw this bike riding this weekend and thought... CRAZY person alert. He completed the 200k brevet in just over 12 hours. That wasn't too bad in a field that was mostly around that time. Full results of the first brevet of the year in Japan are here:

https://www.brevet.jp/ajkinki/305_r.htm

Old 03-21-06, 11:24 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8 days left this month, good luck all who are riding Year-rounder
Old 03-22-06, 08:47 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dial_tone
I've been doing a century a month for 10 years now...whats the big freakin deal?

(100 total miles every month )
read the post, all pages, and you will see what the big deal is. not 100 total miles a month, but one complete century of 100 miles in one day every month. do you do that? later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.