Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

More Avocet content: What is this?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24, 06:01 PM
ElGenerale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

Hi all.
Seeing this Avocet Touring on Ebay. It has stitched pads and white lettering on the back. I can't find anything like it in images online. Wondering if it's a real Avocet or if knock-offs were a thing. And if it's a legitimate Avocet, what vintage are we talking about here?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-20-24, 06:38 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I'm guessing this is not a period Avocet saddle - meaning a knock-off.

I remember the 80's as being the golden age for Avocet stuff. Not only saddles, but cranks, etc.

The screening in the first two photos doesn't look right, esp. the second. Too bright for age.

Since it has a round-top adapter, I'm guessing it came on a lower-end bike, and the seller didn't think to remove it before taking photos.
Old 01-20-24, 07:00 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
There are several like it on eBay right now from different sellers, and other older threads in various forums where people have had them before. I don't see why one should think it's a knock off with so many around.

BMXmuseum.com For Sale / Avocet Touring Vintage Bmx Cruiser Padded Seat GT00613
Old 01-20-24, 10:42 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I don't know if Avocet made the saddles- Most Avocet parts are made by other manufacturers and rebadged as "Avocet." However, the saddles must've been THE moneymaker for them- All those early Racing I, II and III and Touring I and II (including the Touring WI saddles) are ubiquitous- they're everywhere- and the kicker is that they're really really good saddles.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts, Avocet continued making saddles (having saddles made for them) and tailored them for whatever bike companies needed.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 01-22-24, 02:56 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
I doubt if the saddle is fake. Who would go through the effort and time to silkscreen the Avocet brand on an old saddle like that?
Plus if it is a fake, they most likely would not choose Avocet for the branding but some other brand more universally popular when it cames to saddles.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 01-22-24, 05:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I don't know if Avocet made the saddles- Most Avocet parts are made by other manufacturers and rebadged as "Avocet." However, the saddles must've been THE moneymaker for them- All those early Racing I, II and III and Touring I and II (including the Touring WI saddles) are ubiquitous- they're everywhere- and the kicker is that they're really really good saddles.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts, Avocet continued making saddles (having saddles made for them) and tailored them for whatever bike companies needed.
The Avocet IIs and IIIs were made by Selle Italia and were (or were very close to) the racing seats they made so many of. I've ridden that shell labeled Avocet III (yes, aluminum rails and hence more comfortable on rough roads, Selle Italia and Peugeot. Probably other labels too.

Look closely and see if you can find a "Made in Italy" on it.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-22-24, 05:12 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Some "Avocet" parts were ofmega as I recall. Nice stuff.
Likes For jetboy:
Old 01-22-24, 05:35 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Somewhere out there, there's an ad that shows more of the difference between the "Racing" and "Touring" models. Of course- these ads are from WELL before the saddle in the OP

This isn't the one I was thinking of- but it's got some good info:

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 01-22-24, 05:49 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I doubt if the saddle is fake. Who would go through the effort and time to silkscreen the Avocet brand on an old saddle like that?
Plus if it is a fake, they most likely would not choose Avocet for the branding but some other brand more universally popular when it cames to saddles.
Exactly my logic when I found this Takara branded saddle on eBay.

Old 01-22-24, 06:26 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
IDK. Ive seen some crappy saddles with the avocet name on it. Just sayin

John
Old 01-22-24, 07:09 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
IDK. Ive seen some crappy saddles with the avocet name on it. Just sayin

John
Like the renowned 'Gatorcet Racing?

The 'Gatorcet (Avocet Racer recovered in alligator embossed cowhide). Available for any poor soul to test ride at his or her own discomfort! Please note: The stitching disappears under the booty. Other factors caused my pain and suffering!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-22-24, 07:54 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
OEM products are often just a shadow of their retail cousins, made by low-end product factories, installed on low-end bikes.

There are Naugahyde versions of Avocet "Touring" saddles however that I am particularly fond of, their softer foam being perfect when riding in regular clothes which I so often do.
But they are aging, so becoming too slippery to be a great saddle at this point, though I still use a couple of them.
I've suspected these saddles were OEM-spec'd, so looked on the underside which says:
"TAIWAN
OEM ONLY
VISCOUNT".
Circle dated 1989.

Where have the great saddles gone? Too many are near hard as a rock these days, even the boxes of OEM test-riding saddles in the shops fall short of sufficient softness unless one is using premium, low-mileage cycling shorts all the time.
My all-time favorite, all-use saddle is the decades-old WTB LASER, what a shame that these are no longer produced.
Old 01-23-24, 09:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The Avocet IIs and IIIs were made by Selle Italia and were (or were very close to) the racing seats they made so many of. I've ridden that shell labeled Avocet III (yes, aluminum rails and hence more comfortable on rough roads, Selle Italia and Peugeot. Probably other labels too.

Look closely and see if you can find a "Made in Italy" on it.
Early Avocet saddles were made by Selle Italia, but later production was in the USA. If the underside of the saddle has "Made in Italy" marked, it's a Selle Italia product.
Old 01-24-24, 08:04 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Early Avocet saddles were made by Selle Italia, but later production was in the USA. If the underside of the saddle has "Made in Italy" marked, it's a Selle Italia product.
The 'Gatorcet Racing is Italian. Maybe such a pedigree might temp someone to give it a try?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-24-24, 10:37 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
The 'Gatorcet Racing is Italian. Maybe such a pedigree might temp someone to give it a try?
That be old. No native gators in Italy for 250 mil. Maybe one of the sewer dwellers?
Old 01-24-24, 10:54 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Agree. Once Avocet seats as a brand cought on, they were made for lower end bikes as well. The distinctive feature were the two bumps. Which several manufacturers at the time copied and even outlined the bumps, including Avocet. I thought some Schwinn's had them.

One of the key things with them is that up until that time seat covers could just be stretched around the foam seat form. With the Avocet bumps, the seat cover had to be glued to the foam to maintain the contours that were molded into the foam. The original seat covers were leather.

I had the Selle Italia made Avocet seat back when these were current and liked it a lot. I still have that seat. It was Palo Alto Cycle that featured the Avocet line of products in the late '70's.
Old 01-24-24, 02:14 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
My wife and I had Avocet Touring saddles on our ‘81 Motobecane Jubilee Sports. Ordered the men’s and woman’s specific widths when we ordered the bikes at our LBS.

Good riding saddles, I seem to recall that the nylon base had different density or thickness material in the two raised locations. Supposed to flex as the sit bones (IT) moved during pedaling.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13