Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using grease gun on Speedplay Pedals, grease just shoots out the sides of the pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Using grease gun on Speedplay Pedals, grease just shoots out the sides of the pedals

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 09:13 PM
rollingsound514

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm probably doing something really dumb here. I'm doing the procedure below to my Speedplay pedals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJk_pbtOsB4

When I do it the grease doesn't make it into the "guts" of the pedal it just oozes out the sides. I unscrewed the screw like in the video but it's almost like there's something else in the way? Are all Speedplay pedals the same in terms of greasing?

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 04-27-16, 09:26 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
You have to press the grease needle really hard and straight against the pedal and rotate it slowly while also injecting the grease slowly. I've been doing this for 15 years and has always been a tricky task so you're not alone.
Old 04-28-16, 01:17 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
REALLY hard. It's a ****ty set up IMO. I get grease all over the place when I do mine.

When you're doing it right, the dirty grease will ooze out along the pedal spindle and when it's clean enough to suit your taste, you're done.
Old 04-28-16, 06:28 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I've never had it be that much of an issue. I use a small grease gun with a small conical tip similar to the official Speedplay item. I small amount of grease comes out around it but most flows through the pedal and out around the spindle. Just wipe and clean it up afterward. This is lots easier than disassembling spindles, flushing bearings and repacking them that you do with many other pedals.
Old 04-28-16, 07:01 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
I've never had it be that much of an issue. I use a small grease gun with a small conical tip similar to the official Speedplay item. I small amount of grease comes out around it but most flows through the pedal and out around the spindle. Just wipe and clean it up afterward. This is lots easier than disassembling spindles, flushing bearings and repacking them that you do with many other pedals.
+1. I used the rounded tip that is standard on the Duelco grease gun and, as noted you have to align it pretty well and press firmly. Done right it's pretty efficient with little grease loss. And, yes, the old grease oozes out around the spindle and has to be cleaned up.