Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1970s Raleigh Professional f/f...value?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 12:06 AM
seanallant 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a fellow in my town offer to sell me a near mint Raleigh Professional. It has the fancy lugs and same paint as the one pictured below. Any idea how much the frame and fork might be worth? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
raleighpro.jpg (98.5 KB, 219 views)
Old 04-29-17, 08:51 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I bought a Raleigh Professional frame in Feb for $265 Cdn at a swap meet. That included the lower cable bracket - I asked for that since they are not easy to find.
Some one had a freshly painted one, all redecaled and looking very nice at the summer swap last year for $500 Cdn, don't think it sold.
Old 04-29-17, 09:11 AM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Need to see detailed photos of the actual bike as condition is everything. I once paid $100 for a Raleigh Pro frame and fork but it did not have any of the original paint.
Old 04-29-17, 10:39 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,385 Times in 7,212 Posts
...the frame and fork by itself takes a considerable hit in resale value, compared to a near mint complete original bicycle. If your question is one of how much it will be worth after you strip the wheels and components. It's difficult to get the stuff together to reassemble them accurately.
Old 05-01-17, 11:57 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
So rather than give you a price that someone paid, or claims they paid, I'll try and give you a number based on what it's probably worth if you want to sell it.

A lot depends on how it's sold. If it's a small town, and it's craigslist, he might have a hard time getting $500 unless he's willing to ship, but probably not. A lot depends on his ad.

A lot depends on condition and his ad. Assuming reasonably nice condition, with the right bits.

It's full on ebay value in decent shape, with a quality ad, is probably around 1100ish, of which a seller would keep 8-900. In a bigger city you'd likely have little issue getting 800+ on CL if reasonably patient.

For a friendly sell fast deal without worrying about it, I think 700ish complete is probably fair if it's in decent shape.

For frame/fork only, I'd say 400-500 on ebay is full on max value in nice shape and on CL...300-400 in a decent area. For a friendly sale, I think 250-300 is a solid number.

I disagree with the above post as well, it's a bike that's fairly easy to get parts for, comparatively, and many would want to hot rod it. I don't think its value is wrapped in the parts...I think its value is mostly from being an iconic frame set.
Old 05-08-17, 10:09 AM
seanallant 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The frame and fork are in excellent if not mint condition, with a campagnolo headset. The deal he wanted to give me was in the realm of about $200 for it. So, according to the last post it sounds like a good deal. I sure appreciate the help. I was thinking I might try to rebuild it with original parts. Sounds like there is mixed ideas on whether that is easy. It seems like the parts are out there ...I even found an original wheelset off a Raleigh Pro on ebay recently. I'm just not that great at Campagnolo groupsets and knowing the correct year, etc. I think I could figure that out with some research though. Thanks again!
Old 05-08-17, 11:36 AM
exxongraftek

Bikes: No-name LH drive track. Also ride an Exxon Graftek, a Masi, a Trek R200 or a RR Boneshaker for fun!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seanallant
...I'm just not that great at Campagnolo groupsets and knowing the correct year, etc. I think I could figure that out with some research though. Thanks again!
Always remember you have lots of help here, our prices are the best available (pics of ongoing projects are all we ask) and the occasional heads-up if you have a great deal on something we need. Go for it!
Old 05-08-17, 05:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,385 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake

I disagree with the above post as well, it's a bike that's fairly easy to get parts for, comparatively, and many would want to hot rod it. I don't think its value is wrapped in the parts...I think its value is mostly from being an iconic frame set.