Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are riders honest when reporting average speed?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do people lie when posting average speed on bike forums?
Yes. A few of them do.
45.00%
Yes. Most of them do.
37.00%
No. I think everyone is honest.
7.00%
Not sure.
11.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 11:36 AM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is the internet. Not exactly the most noted arena for honesty. It seems like a lot of people lie when they post their average speed on these forums. How do i know they are lying? I don't for sure, but I think most of the time you get a gut feeling when something sounds too good to be true.

Somebody just posted in Winter Cycling, that they average 17mph on a fully loaded 45 lb mountain bike. That is BS. I've seen it many other times on here. Obviously there are different abilities involved and some are faster than others but get real.
Old 01-04-06, 11:52 AM
SoonerBent
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've heard claims from local riders who I've later ridden with and the claims did not live up to reality. So I can't imagine that it doesn't happen even more frequently on a forum where we're pretty much anonymous.

SS
Old 01-04-06, 11:58 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
the problem is that almost nobody uses the term average speed the same way. it's simply time divided by distance. if you want to know how fast you went on a 50 mile ride, compare the time you left to the time you arrived.

people seem to use crusing speed, ignore uphill speed, or exclude rest stops or traffic lights from the equation, all sorts of stuff.
Old 01-04-06, 12:03 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It simply doesn't matter to me what a person's average speed is other than my own. Since another's average speed doesn't matter to me, does it matter at all if it is truth or fiction?
Old 01-04-06, 12:05 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Isn't it distance divided by time? My math skills are a tad rusty. Time \ distance = hr per mile

People tend to exaggerate. Not just in ave speed but in most other aspects related to their life.

Not much room to exaggerate in this equation: 15 miles / .75 hrs = 20mi/hr (I ride downhill on the way home)
Old 01-04-06, 12:07 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by webist
It simply doesn't matter to me what a person's average speed is other than my own. Since another's average speed doesn't matter to me, does it matter at all if it is truth or fiction?
it's been a source of confusion in the racing forum before. for example, newbies trying to start racing for the first time are generally interested in what sort of speeds they will be facing so they can gauge if they're ready or not. for competition, i guess, it's good to have an idea of what you're up against.
Old 01-04-06, 12:24 PM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by timmhaan
the problem is that almost nobody uses the term average speed the same way. it's simply time divided by distance. if you want to know how fast you went on a 50 mile ride, compare the time you left to the time you arrived.

people seem to use crusing speed, ignore uphill speed, or exclude rest stops or traffic lights from the equation, all sorts of stuff.
I think the term is usually used in the same way. Most people, like myself, are referring to what their computer displays when the ride is complete. Set it at the beginning of the ride and check it at the end. Of course there are tons of variables when considering average speed. That is one of the reasons why i too, view average speed as pretty meaningless.

HOwever, it does serve as as point of reference. If somebody comes on here and says they averaged 30 mph on a ride, we know they are either: a) a damned liar b) damned fast
Old 01-04-06, 12:35 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
I always wondered that myself, but since there are so many variables involved, I'm guessing everyone's 'average speed' will be different. It's only good for gauging your own progress.
As for me, I don't run a computer except on my touring bike, but that's just to monitor distance travelled so I can impress my friends and family after my trip

Last edited by roadfix; 01-04-06 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-04-06, 12:35 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
This is the internet. Not exactly the most noted arena for honesty. It seems like a lot of people lie when they post their average speed on these forums. How do i know they are lying? I don't for sure, but I think most of the time you get a gut feeling when something sounds too good to be true.

Somebody just posted in Winter Cycling, that they average 17mph on a fully loaded 45 lb mountain bike. That is BS. I've seen it many other times on here. Obviously there are different abilities involved and some are faster than others but get real.
With computers on bikes that can record data, one can clearly have a true indication of average speed... otherwise I think some cyclists just over-estimate their speed and how long they hold that speed.

I for instance love hitting 25MPH on flats while spinning well... there is just something gratifying about doing that... but the reality is that generally over a 25 mile route I really go an average of only about 15.8 MPH.
Old 01-04-06, 02:46 PM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not much I can do to polish 12 MPH. Might as well just accept it and move on.
Old 01-04-06, 02:51 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think the term is usually used in the same way. Most people, like myself, are referring to what their computer displays when the ride is complete. Set it at the beginning of the ride and check it at the end.
is your computer set to record constantly or does it turn off if the wheel isn't moving? that can result in very different readings for the same ride.
Old 01-04-06, 02:51 PM
knoregs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once averaged over 25mph for the first hour of a 60 something mile ride... and then I turned the corner... time to pay the piper
Old 01-04-06, 03:22 PM
pakole

Bikes: 1980s 15 speed road bike, and 21 speed, Iron Horse Outlaw mountain bike and 24 speed Felt F90 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just used my computer since its gives an accruate record of my cycling events. In fact, I get real upset when my computer goes down or if the magnet is off. I like my statements to be accurate, so I am sure there are people that want to be accurate as well.
Old 01-04-06, 03:31 PM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is your computer set to record constantly or does it turn off if the wheel isn't moving? that can result in very different readings for the same ride.
My computer, like most, only records when the magnet goes by the sensor. In other words it only measures a bike ride. It doesn't measure sitting, which it shouldn't. After all it is hard to ride without moving.
Old 01-04-06, 03:44 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't suggest we're all a bunch of liars, but, surely many of these "averages" are a bit optimistic. And really, the variables are remarkable, so you have to allow for winds, temps, weights, good/bad days, moon phase, cosmic alignment and God knows what else. Tell me the moving average speed for L.A. over the ENTIRE T.D.F. course. Thats an average I'd like to see. Call it the High Benchmark for average speed B.S.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 01-04-06, 03:58 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My computer, like most, only records when the magnet goes by the sensor. In other words it only measures a bike ride. It doesn't measure sitting, which it shouldn't. After all it is hard to ride without moving.
see that's where we're different. i'm a stickler when it comes to average speed. i consider it the speed of the entire trip - from when you began to when you end. a century that's completed in 10 hours should reflect a 10mph average regardless of how many bathroom breaks you stopped for.
Old 01-04-06, 04:34 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Some computers give the option to turn on or off automatic time' (i.e. automatic means stopped time is not averaged)

But some computers (like the supergo C-12) only provide 'automatic' time as average time. So the only way to get true trip average is to either never stop or to use a separate stopwatch and calculate it.

Al
Old 01-04-06, 04:36 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
see that's where we're different. i'm a stickler when it comes to average speed. i consider it the speed of the entire trip - from when you began to when you end. a century that's completed in 10 hours should reflect a 10mph average regardless of how many bathroom breaks you stopped for.
I understand, but not counting stops is nice when you ride with a group and stops last way too long or happen too often.

Al
Old 01-04-06, 05:28 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Maybe you should try it before you speak!

If you doubt me, I invite you to come to Northern Colorado to take a ride.
Then lets see you SHOOT your mouth off!
If I get the chance to get the LBS to ever log on here, They can back me up.

What a line of bull... Your full of it

Old 01-04-06, 05:35 PM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden my two Trek 4300's over 14,000 miles since August of 2003. I have only averaged over 15 mph once. Granted i mostly ride on unpaved gravel and dirt trails. Yet i have ridden enough pavement to know that 17 mph avg. is stilll very fast on a MTB with knobbies on pavement.

I ride virtually every day and have ridden in temps from -25 F windchill to 108 F. In wind from 0 to 50 mph. Up hills and down hills and yet not once did i average 17 mph. While I may not be the greatest cyclist in the world, i am in pretty decent shape.

I am 6'2" and 150 lbs with probably around 5% body fat. (if that)

Like i said, you are obviously very fast. I obviously am not. I don't see where there is a debate.
Old 01-04-06, 05:38 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've ridden my two Trek 4300's over 14,000 miles since August of 2003. I have only averaged over 15 mph once. Granted i mostly ride on unpaved gravel and dirt trails. Yet i have ridden enough pavement to know that 17 mph avg. is stilll very fast on a MTB with knobbies on pavement.

I ride virtually every day and have ridden in temps from -25 F to 108 F. In wind from 0 to 50 mph. Up hills and down hills and yet not once did i average 17 mph. While I may not be the greatest cyclist in the world, i am in pretty decent shape.

I am 6'2" and 150 lbs with probably around 5% body fat. (if that)

Like i said, you are obviously very fast. I obviously am not. I don't see where there is a debate.

6'4" 225 here
Granted I don't hit that avg on a daily basis either. I have riden in about the same temps as you have. It doesn't get that high here in Colo but it does get over 100 in the summers.

They ain't Knobbies

Old 01-04-06, 05:46 PM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The fact that they aren't knobbies is a big factor. I guess i jumped to that conclusion on my own, so I apologize. However, that is still a pretty fast average even on slicks. I run slicks on one of my MTB's on occasion. I don't recall if I ever averaged that fast or not.

I do know that 17 mph is the lower end of my average on my road bike. IOW, if I average 17 mph I know that conditions were not ideal, hills, wind etc. I usually average around 18-19 mph on the roadbike with perfect conditions. I averaged 18.9 on my last century, but that was with a stiff tailwind most of the way.

The other day I averaged 16.5 on the roadbike with a 35 mph North wind.
Old 01-04-06, 05:50 PM
Mild Al
Slow But Handsome

Bikes: Old steel Roadmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
With computers on bikes that can record data, one can clearly have a true indication of average speed... otherwise I think some cyclists just over-estimate their speed and how long they hold that speed.
One can have a true indication of speed IF the computer is calibrated right.

I just got a computer for Christmas, and I found that if I followed the directions in the manual carefully, and punched in the number they gave me for my tire size, the computer gave me credit for more distance than I had actually travelled--and for higher speeds than I deserved. I had to go on a couple of rides and recalibrate twice before I got the computer to give me the distances I knew I had travelled.
Old 01-04-06, 05:51 PM
Squint
base training heretic

Bikes: Cervelo P3C, many Litespeeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, on a fairly windy day on very rolling terrain, it was quite an effort for me to ride 90-120 mins at a true average of 20 mph. I think I averaged like 220-230W. I train on 700x25 Armadillos and make no effort to be light or aerodynamic during training. My threshold power is around 4.1 W/kg at 6000'+ elevation.

So I'm skeptical when I hear certain average speed numbers.
Old 01-04-06, 05:52 PM
jhota
blithering idiot

Bikes: 1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think lots of folks are "liars" because of the aforementioned differences in how they arrive at average speed. i usually average around 12 mph solo, 15-17 with a group (amazing how much easier it is in a group), and as high as 10 mph on my mtb. but that's dist/time, not a computer reading. i don't even own a bike computer. my friends that do (have computers) consistently report higher average speeds than my calculations for the same ride (no, my math isn't that bad), probably due to the "wheel stopped = off" thing.

i don't think it's malicious, just differences in viewpoint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.