Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Loose/dry tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 08:35 AM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loose/dry tires

It seems like all the tire companies make cross tires for either mud or hard-pack conditions. In my area, we have some mud in the early spring, which becomes hard-pack in early summer, but by cross season the trail traffic in combination with the dry summer have ground away the top layer of hard packed dirt and turned it into a layer of dust and gravel that also collects in certain areas to become several inches deep. Can anyone recommend a tire that does well in these conditions?
Old 07-09-12, 09:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What tires do The other folks, on the podium places, show up with?
Old 07-09-12, 09:55 AM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
What tires do The other folks, on the podium places, show up with?
The only one that comes to mind is a friend of mine who seems to end up on the podium of every race he enters, and uses the same tires I had on my bike last year (Ritchey Speedmax) He, however, has ridiculous bike handling skills and doesn’t seem to mind sliding around every corner. Of course what I really need is better bike handling skills, and I’m working on that, but in the mean time I think I’d sacrifice a few watts to rolling resistance for a more aggressive tread that would give me the traction I need.
Old 07-09-12, 10:22 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
A small block tire, as large a size that will fit your frame.

https://clementcycling.com/400/xplor-mso

https://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicy...py-medium.aspx

https://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicy...ock-eight.aspx

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...s/%252Fcx_comp
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-09-12 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
heres a bunch.. https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=180

Something like this appeal? https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...9&category=180
Or, https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...6&category=180
Old 07-09-12, 03:19 PM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Michelin Mud 2
Old 07-09-12, 06:41 PM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clement PDX are getting rave reviews as an all-rounder.
Old 07-10-12, 06:58 PM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
something that will dig through the top layer of smooth/loose stuff, or wide enough to float on top of it... I'd think Mud2's would be a decent choice, i'd probably want wider spacing than the small blocks, but id bet something plenty wide would do the trick with the small block
Old 07-10-12, 10:13 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I raced on these last year and I've done a lot of training on them as well. I feel they were pretty decent for dry stuff. https://www.serfas.com/products/view/266/refererroducts|index|tires|road-tires|page:2

In the end, I'm not sure that they roll quite as nice as a small block 8 or have quite the grip of a Mud2. They have small tread blocks, but enough open space to allow it to dig in to the dirt a little. My rear tire is getting a little worn, but it hasn't really seemed to hurt performance much. All in all, they're a pretty good option.

Having said all this, I think I might be looking at a Kenda Small Block 8 or Slant 6 tires this year (assuming I can't get some tubbies built up).
Old 07-14-12, 04:45 PM
Erik_A

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I use Kenda Kross Supreme's 700x35 clinchers as my training (off-road tire), cheap with a MTB type tread:
https://www.treefortbikes.com/product...me-700x35.html
https://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wh...2_2489crx.aspx
Old 07-18-12, 03:44 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by simonaway427
That's one of my 2 favourite pairs. I have 33mm PDX Crusades, and 32mm IRD Crossfires.
The PDX runs wide, and measures mid-34mm on a 19mm rim.
The Crossfire runs narrow, and measures just under 31mm on the same rim.
Old 07-25-12, 08:46 AM
duffmanrb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran the small block 8s as a total newb last year. They are great for loose dirt and can handle the occasional mud as well, though the tread will clog up. There was one course with loose deep sand and they handled that okay despite my too-high air pressure. I have 2 other sets of tires for this year but I will still use the SB8s for hard dirt and grass.
Old 07-25-12, 09:17 AM
STP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Debusama
The only one that comes to mind is a friend of mine who seems to end up on the podium of every race he enters, and uses the same tires I had on my bike last year (Ritchey Speedmax) He, however, has ridiculous bike handling skills and doesn’t seem to mind sliding around every corner. Of course what I really need is better bike handling skills, and I’m working on that, but in the mean time I think I’d sacrifice a few watts to rolling resistance for a more aggressive tread that would give me the traction I need.
I absolutely, hands-down HATED the Ritchey Speedmax. It was slick and slimy in the middle and wasn't terribly better in the corners, but that sounds like what your friend likes about them.

Originally Posted by simonaway427
I LOVE my Clement's, both the PDX and their file tread tire, the LAS. The PDX is great in the mud and then you should switch to the LAS later. But, that's the advise I'd give you regardless of the tires you choose. You should mount the tires that fit the conditions.
Old 07-25-12, 10:53 PM
Jesmith09

Bikes: 2006 Jamis Exile XC, 2007 Cannondale Optimo 'cross, 2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 1, 2013 Ridley X-fire disc :-), coming soon!- 2013 Felt Edict 9-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends on the course. If the loose is found on climbs that are more than 2% grade, you need a rear that can dig. If it's only in corners, you need a front tire that digs....if those loose corners are off camber and/or downhill, you need a tire that both floats and corners. All arounders for harpack are kind of hard to fine. However, if you have a course that is flat or with firm soil on climbs and.or climbs you can carry momentum into, a digging center tread is no necessary. You usually want a tire with larger side knobs and a low profile center tread on the rear and an all around tire on the front for courses that have firm climbs with squirelly corners. If you have some significant ups, you'd better be able to dig with the rear, and you want a skinny back there, 30c or less. Since it isn't mussy, you don't need to have wide spacing, so you can pick up something with closely spaced center treads that with roll fast. I usually always run 32 or larger up front for cornering. I have basically every tire Vittoria makes, and a Set of Michelin Mud 2s. The bud is skinny, 30c, roll fast, and digs well. Those loose climbs can just destroy you, and I recommend it for that. If there are no loose climbs, I'd run the Vittoria Cross Evo XN in the rear. I always run the Cross Evo XG up front in the conditions you describe. If it's all hardpack, I run two XNs, and if its slop, the XM. I know that's a lot to read, but there is no universal tire for that.....those variable's I talked about are key. No nead for center tread in the rear unless you have loose climbs. I know Challenge also makes good tires. I just really love the Vittorias having tries just about everything.