Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Toe hitch vs roof rack bike mount?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Toe hitch vs roof rack bike mount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 01:35 PM
SykesAT

Bikes: 2002 GF Genesis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tow hitch vs roof rack bike mount?

I'm trying to decide which route to go. Roof or tow hitch mount and was wondering the pros and cons of each.

Tow Hitch:
pro: easy to put you bike on and off; easier to unhook from your car when you don't need it.

con: makes your car longer; could be hit from behind;

Roof rack
Pro: can be left on the car (if you don't mind the look); no chance of the bike being rear ended

Con: having to lift your bike on the rack and secure it; possibly of scratching your car or damaging your bike when putting it in or out.

Last edited by SykesAT; 01-02-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-02-12, 01:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Also a lower fuel economy with a roof rack , unless you slow down..

and it is a aerodynamic drag even when empty.

Door #3, a small enclosed trailer , and then everything can be locked up in the trailer

a tear drop trailer would be cool !
Old 01-02-12, 02:28 PM
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SykesAT
I'm trying to decide which route to go. Roof or toe hitch mount and was wondering the pros and cons of each.

Toe Hitch:
pro: easy to put you bike on and off; easier to unhook from your car when you don't need it.

Roof rack
Pro: can be left on the car (if you don't mind the look); no chance of the bike being rear ended

Con: having to lift your bike on the rack and secure it; possibly of scratching your car or damaging your bike when putting it in or out.
Car can be hit from behind = new bike! I like my hitch rack. Sturdy, and the bike is out of the way from flying debris.

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 01-02-12, 03:20 PM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hitch mount and wouldn't trade it for a roof mount. My wife can get a bike on the hitch mount, but not on the roof of her van. And I don't have to worry about forgetting a bike is on top and driving into the garage (or something else) with the bike.

If we had an attached garage, I might have to worry about closing the door on the bike / rack, but we exit through the garage door so we see it.

It's a 4 bike rack, and I don't think I could do that on the roof. It does make the van longer, but with bikes on it, it's almost impossible to forget about it if you use your rearview mirror.
Old 01-02-12, 03:32 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Depends a lot on the shape of your car, too. Roof racks may be expensive or difficult to mount for some kinds of cars. On the other hand, hitch mounts may expose your bike to a lot of side wind force with low profile cars.
Old 01-02-12, 03:53 PM
SykesAT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
johnny99,

I have a BMW 3 series coupe. It has the ability to have roof racks and a tow hitch. I am currently leaning towards a tow hitch which supports the bike from the wheels and does not hold the bike from the frame, like this link. It just seems easier for a day to day use and the only downside is damage to the bike doe to a rear impact.

Last edited by SykesAT; 01-02-12 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 07:33 AM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
johnny99,

I have a BMW 3 series coupe. It has the ability to have roof racks and a tow hitch. I am currently leaning towards a tow hitch which supports the bike from the wheels and does not hold the bike from the frame, like this link. It just seems easier for a day to day use and the only downside is damage to the bike doe to a rear impact.
I have one almost exaclty like that I got on Amazon. I wouldn't have anything else. It takes a bit of fiddling to figure out how to get the bikes on the first time, but as long as you remember how to did it, everything can stay set up for the next time. That being said, I forget almost every time since we only use ours twice a year for a 600 mile trip to our in-laws.

One downside is that I have the cables on top of my top tube. The first time I didn't put something between the cables and the frame where the clamp went down on the top tube and the cables rubbed some paint off.
Old 01-03-12, 12:51 PM
SykesAT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chand,

would you mind posting a link to the tow mount rack you bought?
Old 01-03-12, 01:05 PM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chand,

would you mind posting a link to the tow mount rack you bought?
https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-...5617465&sr=8-2
Old 01-03-12, 02:08 PM
SykesAT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at the 2bike version of that model. Sounds like a nice rack.
Old 01-03-12, 02:38 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I happen to work with one of the folks that drove his car into the garage after a long day. It was a Trek Madone. Emphasis on WAS.

And no, insurance didn't cover a penny.

Use the Tow hitch version.
Old 01-03-12, 06:08 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used both--been rear-ended with the hitch rack and drove under a low overhang with the roof rack, so I know the disadvantages. I think I slightly prefer the roof rack, but only by a little.
Don't underestimate the mileage effects of the roof rack. My Honda will get 34mpg all day long at 70mph. With three bikes on top, that drops to 26. Even the bare rack costs four or five mpg. I take it off when I'm not using it.
Old 01-03-12, 06:30 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
johnny99,

That rack in your link is sold under a couple of different names, one of which is Hollywood sportrider. They are a great budget rack. I used to sell lots of those in my shop, and I still use the two bike version.
Old 01-03-12, 06:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
I'm trying to decide which route to go. Roof or tow hitch mount and was wondering the pros and cons of each.

Tow Hitch:

Roof rack

You forgot a major con, and one that is much, much more likely than getting hit from behind (which you list as a con for the tow hitch carrier): running into the garage with the bike on top.

I frankly have never personally heard of anyone having a bike damaged on a rear carrier (I'm sure it happens, just that I haven't heard of it). On the other hand, running into a garage with a bike on top is something many of us have heard multiple stories about.

I might get a roof rack, but right now I either put the bike inside the car, or use the receiver-mount Yakima "tray" type carrier. I have had a couple of occasions with my Suburban where I've put two bikes in back (upright, fork mount), two on the receiver carrier and borrowed the hardware to mount one or two on top. I figure after borrowing something 2 or 3 times, a guy should just buy it.

But rear or inside is mo'betta'.
Old 01-04-12, 07:17 AM
SykesAT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My tow hitch has been ordered. Thanks guys.

There has been some brief discussion in this thread already but are there any tow hitches that can be recommended or should be avoided?
Old 01-04-12, 07:41 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
My tow hitch has been ordered. Thanks guys.

There has been some brief discussion in this thread already but are there any tow hitches that can be recommended or should be avoided?
the actual hitch or the rack? for a hitch get a Drawtite or a Reese and have it professionally installed. just pay the extra and get the class 3.

I have little experience with hitch racks but, except for my Allen 103 truck rack, I never skimp on bike racks.

Personally I am roofrack person, but I also try and carry my bike inside when I can.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010163.jpg (100.1 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg
BTV 2.jpg (100.7 KB, 251 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-04-12, 07:46 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I know the OP made decision already...just wanted to comment that one advantage of roof racks is the ability to carry other stuff -- kayaks, skis, lumber. You don't get that benefit with a hitch rack.
Old 01-08-12, 09:28 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by billyymc
I know the OP made decision already...just wanted to comment that one advantage of roof racks is the ability to carry other stuff -- kayaks, skis, lumber. You don't get that benefit with a hitch rack.
Yet another reason for a hitch carrier... it leaves room for other stuff on the roof!
And I agree that the dangers of low garages definitely outweigh the dangers of being rear-ended. Rear enders are the other guys fault but scalping your bikes and car is all yours.
Another consideration I don't believe was mentioned is the ability to open the rear hatch or trunk. My rack theoretically holds four bikes hanging from the top bar but in reality only holds two (maybe three) without damage. And I can't open the rear door even when there are no bikes mounted. My next rack will definitely be something that hold the bikes by the wheels.
Old 01-08-12, 07:25 PM
raydog

Bikes: Pinarello, Cannondale Team Scalpel, Raleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have all THREE types....the third being a rear mounted spare tire Yakima, which is my favorite since the bikes swing out when mounted (however, some latest hitch mounts also swing out on their own AND sit securely in channels too, they are really nice but costly). The roof racks on my Expedition require a ladder to get the bikes up and secured, really a hastle.
Old 01-08-12, 11:40 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
One of my friends just drove into an underground parking garage this past week, destroying his almost new Cervelo AND his roof rack.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-17-22, 10:36 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I have a rag top so I don’t have a choice. I love cruising to the cape with the top down and the bikes on the back.
Old 10-17-22, 11:49 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
I have a roof rack on my Honda Crosstour. Great for my road bike, but lifting the tandem is tough. Even with 2 of us. Even with the swing mount thing.

If anyone has a great idea for a tandem carrier, please say so.
Old 10-17-22, 12:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I have a rag top so I don’t have a choice. I love cruising to the cape with the top down and the bikes on the back.
An option for convertibles - Seasucker Komodo
Old 10-17-22, 12:26 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I've been using a roof rack to transport bikes since the mid 1990s and have yet to drive any bikes into any garages/structures, but I understand the concern and also know someone who did this and caused significant damage to both their car and bike (but the Yakima rack was just fine).

In terms of roof vs hitch, for bikes I would choose hitch 100% of the time if it is an option. Roof racks cause aero drag and a significant hit on fuel economy with bikes up there, plus they're more difficult to install/remove and use, and can cause scratching and markings on the roof (mostly when removing/installing).

The only reason I continue to use a roof rack is:
  • Installing a tow hitch on my car is expensive, custom and requires cutting into/modifying the rear bumper. This is model specific, but there are many cars that are simply not designed for hitches and installing one isn't straightforward.
  • A multi-sport roof rack is also useful for transporting skis and snowboards, among other things.
Old 10-17-22, 12:34 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
An option for convertibles - Seasucker Komodo
That looks pretty sweet - also helpful because installing a hitch on cars like that can be difficult.
I have a Seasucker Mini bomber that I use on the rear glass of a car that can't accommodate either a hitch or a normal gutter-clip style roof rack. It seems to work pretty well and is very simple to take on/off - I do get a little nervous at highway speeds with that setup as it doesn't feel super secure, but so far no problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.