Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What info should I get from my BG Fit?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 02:15 AM
blargman

Bikes: Carbon Topstone 105(factory) Size XL, 2012 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm going to get a BG fit soon from a guy that does BG and has Serotta certifications. It's a place that is nearby that has good reviews. (Village Bikeshop in Grand Rapids).
I'm curious, what info should I get from them? Or rather, what should I expect? I just want to know because I plan on having him adjust my GT Series 3 road bike I have, but what if in a couple months I want to get a winter bike or something custom made by myself. I want info that will help me purchase the right size frame in the future too. Will they give you a stack and reach #? Or an optimal effective top tube length?
Old 06-28-12, 07:12 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe you should ask your fitter.

Once your bike is setup and you're happy with it. You can always use a tape measure to measure it... Saddle distance and angle to bottom bracket. Saddle to bar reach. Etc, or whatever bike shop you get your winter bike from could match it all up also.
Old 06-28-12, 08:08 AM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You get a printout of all your measurements, the bike setup and a video of your fit sessions.
Old 06-28-12, 09:10 AM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
You'll also be set up at KOPS, via a plumb line, good, or bad.

Old 06-28-12, 09:39 AM
dleccord

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what if your stem is too long/short or your need an offset seatpost, will they make you buy their products in the bike fit?
Old 06-28-12, 10:20 AM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fstshrk
You get a printout of all your measurements, the bike setup and a video of your fit sessions.
Ha...you must be kidding.
Old 06-28-12, 10:37 AM
blargman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why would he have to be kidding? I'm paying 250$ for a 3d video fit.
Old 06-28-12, 02:20 PM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
They usually would make you buy a new stem if yours is not the right size, or a different saddle, etc. I got away with just buying shoe footbeds that I don't use.

Old 06-28-12, 02:39 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dleccord
what if your stem is too long/short or your need an offset seatpost, will they make you buy their products in the bike fit?
Yes, as mentioned previously, if anything needs to be changed you pay extra for it. Hopefully you won't need to replace that much. I had a $250. fitting that ultimately cost close to $400. It's pretty much a one-time expense and you can always sell the old components. If you get the full BG Fit, expect to spend 3 or more hours.

Last edited by bikepro; 06-28-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-28-12, 05:15 PM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blargman
Why would he have to be kidding? I'm paying 250$ for a 3d video fit.
no where in your OP did you mention anything about a 3D video.

And, thats a stupid amount of money to pay for a fitting. Unless you are very odd shaped how much adjustments do you think you'll get....well, probably just enough to get you to buy a few new things.

Good luck
Old 06-28-12, 05:25 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyK
They usually would make you buy a new stem if yours is not the right size, or a different saddle, etc. I got away with just buying shoe footbeds that I don't use.
It may vary from fitter to fitter. Ours will simply swap stems for free but expect to pay for anything else like handlebars etc
Old 06-28-12, 05:41 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
If you have a bike that fits perfect, allows you to ride in comfort and is set up to allow you the most efficient power transfer, you will have gotten your money's worth. Then you can easily transfer all these fitting to a different bike with a few tape measure readings.

Of course, whether you will get this from this specific "professional fit" is a little hit or miss.
Old 06-28-12, 06:44 PM
blargman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very good points. I suppose once I get the proper fit I can transfer that fairly easily with a simple measurement. I may end up replacing the bike if my GT isn't optimal. They sell Specialized and I was thinking of replacing it with a Secteur. We'll see. The guy doing the fitting has Serotta fitting certifications as well and has been doing professional fittings for several years. I figure if it helps me ride more comfortably, it will be worth it. I guess I hadn't thought about it much but if I do keep the bike, I imagine it's not a case of if I'll need to buy more parts but how many
Old 06-28-12, 08:41 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by manutd
And, thats a stupid amount of money to pay for a fitting. Unless you are very odd shaped how much adjustments do you think you'll get....well, probably just enough to get you to buy a few new things.
They're getting $250 in pure profit for the fitting. They're not going to screw him over just to chase the thin profit margins of a stem and a seatpost, only to get negative reviews resulting in lost future business.

A proper fitting for some people can mean the difference between riding centuries and flat out quitting.

And $250 isn't that much for a 3 hour fitting. Maybe you're only worth $5/hour but the rest of us make enough money to justify and understand what someone else's time is worth.
Old 06-28-12, 08:45 PM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
expect seatpost slammed forward, flipped up stem, typically 17 degrees minimum... you can spot a village fit a mile away haha (good or bad, i am not suggesting either)
Old 06-28-12, 09:23 PM
fstshrk

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I had a BG fit done last year. It has been well worth the money and most BG fit sessions include 2-3 return visits to adjust the fit.
Old 06-28-12, 09:24 PM
fstshrk

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Very good points. I suppose once I get the proper fit I can transfer that fairly easily with a simple measurement. I may end up replacing the bike if my GT isn't optimal. They sell Specialized and I was thinking of replacing it with a Secteur. We'll see. The guy doing the fitting has Serotta fitting certifications as well and has been doing professional fittings for several years. I figure if it helps me ride more comfortably, it will be worth it. I guess I hadn't thought about it much but if I do keep the bike, I imagine it's not a case of if I'll need to buy more parts but how many
If they have a Serotta fit bike, I would start with that. Once you find your ideal measurements, it is easy to transfer them to your current bike if workable, or find a bike that fits you.
Old 06-28-12, 09:31 PM
blargman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
flipped so its 17degress sloping down? That would probably be the opposite of what I want I'm looking for a bit more comfort , less aero
Slam it/flip it/HTFU does not apply to me
Old 06-28-12, 09:46 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
flipped so its 17degress sloping down? That would probably be the opposite of what I want I'm looking for a bit more comfort , less aero
A higher bar position puts more weight on your sitbones, so you're losing more than just the "aero" benefit.
Old 06-28-12, 10:05 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
A higher bar position puts more weight on your sitbones, so you're losing more than just the "aero" benefit.
Some of us are beyond our mid-twenties. There comes a time when you have to get a comfortable riding position, and the aero part is what it is. At age 60, my bikes are set up with 6cm seat-bar drop, and I'm comfortable in the drops as well. Not real aero, but it beats not riding.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-28-12, 10:08 PM
blargman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's more of a height thing than an age thing(6'4" 220lbs , 32yrs old) but I'm really new so I don't really know what I want. The drop I have now with my bike is pretty decent about 3 1/2".
It's not uncomfortable. This fitting is more of a tuneup and hope for maybe some pointers on better riding, and more so just getting good numbers to plan future bike purchases by.
Old 06-29-12, 11:49 AM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

flipped up. It seems like most people are on larger bike frames with saddle forward and stem up after vilage fit (more comfort i am assuming)...
Old 06-29-12, 02:05 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
When I got my BG fit a few weeks ago, I was still having chaffing, but we finally got that squared away. As far as the fit, he raised my saddle 10 mm changed the stem out from a 120 to a 110, pushed my saddle back where I have a 9 cm setback now. The stem is flipped down and I have a 6 cm drop now, from 5 cm. I feel much better on the bike now and I'm glad I had it done. I feel more balanced than I was, before the fit. The fitter thought I would be OK with 2 mm of shims, which wasn't the case and I ended up with 3 mm. I had to play around with my pedaling, which was my fault, but I have that squared away now as well.

I thought I was comfortible before the fit, but I'm more comfortible now. Fathers day gift so that made a great gift.