Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

2010 NYC Century Bike Tour Registration Now Open!

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

2010 NYC Century Bike Tour Registration Now Open!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 09:48 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
Are you doing the balloon trick again in line?
I sure can. Still have some left from the party-pack I bought last year. Multi-color but mostly yellow.
Old 09-02-10, 09:50 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
I sure can. Still have some left from the party-pack I bought last year. Multi-color but mostly yellow.
I'll look for a bike with a baloon.
Old 09-03-10, 11:39 AM
porkchopsoda

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan on doing the 55 if its not raining. If anyone wants to do a post ride pub stop for a pint or two, shoot me a pm.
Old 09-06-10, 06:30 AM
hkboy313

Bikes: caad9

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha! I wonder if that was me. I made it to the front though without a problem. I've found it pretty easy to maneuver my way up to the front every year no matter how late I arrive. Last year I had to do a day-of registration because of a toothache that nearly kept me out of the ride. Are you doing the balloon trick again in line?
hey yall, it was actually pgoat! where is he on this forum anyways??
Old 09-06-10, 03:45 PM
ant8tna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have any tips, ideas, info, etc on parking in the area? We're coming in from CT for the 100 and the first metro north train in the morning does not get in until after 6:00am, so it seems we're gonna be stuck driving into the city in order to make it to the start on time.
Old 09-06-10, 05:01 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always park on Riverside Drive, next to Grant's Tomb. Because it's all parks and churches and colleges in that area, there is plenty of street parking that time of morning. Easy 2 mile ride to the start.
Old 09-06-10, 05:06 PM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ant8tna
Anyone have any tips, ideas, info, etc on parking in the area? We're coming in from CT for the 100 and the first metro north train in the morning does not get in until after 6:00am, so it seems we're gonna be stuck driving into the city in order to make it to the start on time.
Parking and traffic around the start will be problems.

The first train on the Harlem Division arrives at 125th at 5:47am. It's a local all the way from Southeast (Brewster North). It makes all stops except Mt. Pleasant (cemetary) and those in the Bronx. Drive from CT to the Harlem Div. station of your choice.

Even the first New Haven Divison train arrives at 125th at 6:08am. It's a local from Stamford. The first train from New Haven doesn't arrive until 6:28am.

The 125th Station at Park (4th) Ave is much closer to the 110th St & Powell Blv (7th Ave) start than Grand Central. You also save 8 minutes travel time on the train. They usually operate M7 coaches on the Harlem Division. These coaches have handicapped areas that hold bikes a lot more easily than the old coaches used on the New Haven.
Old 09-07-10, 07:09 AM
ant8tna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Still not sure what the plan is yet though. We've discussed the idea of driving to White Plains and taking the Harlem line that gets in at 5:47am, but are concerned that it won't leave us enough time to get to the start point and check in before 6:00 (we didn't register early enough to get the packet before ride day). Since this is our first time doing this event (actually my first organized event ever), can anyone fill me in on how big of a deal it would be if we weren't able to get to the check in until 6:00 and how long the process wold take (would we be able to start riding by 6:15?). Thanks again!
Old 09-07-10, 07:19 AM
cappuccino911
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmm, usually these events are on saturdays which I can't do, this one is sunday but its the first day of football season!!! This is a tough call! the longest ride i've ever done was 55miles to nyack and back a few weeks ago, I'm sure I can easily handle the 75mile ride since there aren't any hills in nyc nearly as bad as the ones on 9w. The question is will I be done to get back home in time to watch football?
Old 09-07-10, 07:35 AM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Still not sure what the plan is yet though. We've discussed the idea of driving to White Plains and taking the Harlem line that gets in at 5:47am, but are concerned that it won't leave us enough time to get to the start point and check in before 6:00 (we didn't register early enough to get the packet before ride day). Since this is our first time doing this event (actually my first organized event ever), can anyone fill me in on how big of a deal it would be if we weren't able to get to the check in until 6:00 and how long the process wold take (would we be able to start riding by 6:15?).
The 125th St Station is 1.3 miles from the start. According to DeLorme, the riding time is 8 minutes.

Sunrise won't be until 6:33. You're better off super charging on coffee and doughnuts and zooming off at first light than speeding blindly in the dark before sunrise. Of course, you may miss the first crashes from the crowd that wants to finish first by starting at 6am on the dot. If you feel any guilt by not sharing that experience, just pretend to breathe hard as you pass by the wreckage.
Old 09-07-10, 07:48 AM
ant8tna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
The 125th St Station is 1.3 miles from the start. According to DeLorme, the riding time is 8 minutes.

Sunrise won't be until 6:33. You're better off super charging on coffee and doughnuts and zooming off at first light than speeding blindly in the dark before sunrise. Of course, you may miss the first crashes from the crowd that wants to finish first by starting at 6am on the dot. If you feel any guilt by not sharing that experience, just pretend to breathe hard as you pass by the wreckage.
So, in other words, the 6:00am start time is more of a recommendation than a requirement? Perfect! Thanks! I'm more than willing to experience the early morning crashes by huffing and puffing on the way by
Old 09-07-10, 08:57 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
At 6am or so on a Sunday morning parking WON'T be much of a problem. I drove to the start and parked on 5th Ave & 98th St. The only other people around were doing the ride and in the grand scheme of things in NYC that's a drop in the bucket.

That said, I'm starting in Prospect Park, about a mile from my house.
Old 09-08-10, 07:12 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
hkboy313 and I met up and rode together last year. Someone else was going to join us (wasn't it you oboeguy ), but they were stuck in the pick-up line 30 minutes behind us.

The only problem with meeting at the triangle is how to get the cue sheets. Our meet up last year was on 110th st where the path goes down to the cue pickup and start, and early enough to get a good place in line. I had a balloon attached to my bike for identification. That area wasn't too crowded so I was easy to spot.

Hey, Air. Are you a roving marshal or do you have a post this year?
I'm roving the 100 - if I get up in time (*cough cough*) I'll come by and say hi to you guys!

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-09-10, 07:03 AM
hkboy313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh boy, why does it look like beautiful weather just until our TOUR!! I guess this would be a fun experience but little more dangerous because the chance of rain/ t-showers... o well, bike it rain or shine
Old 09-09-10, 10:47 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hkboy313
... o well, bike it rain or shine
ARRRRRGHHHHH

Rain or shine, but not car crash.

Was all packed and looking forward to the ride, then yesterday I had a major fender bender. No one hurt and car is drivable for local trips, but I don't trust it for 600 miles at highway speed. This accident is sucking up time at work (which I didn't have to spare) and a problem with one of the projects means that my pleasant 4 day break would be reduced to a drive up Saturday night and back Sunday night. Plus I'd need to rent a car to get there.

Reluctantly going to have to cancel my trip. Really bummed about it, since I'd been looking forward to it all year and this was effectively my summer vacation.

Consolation will be to do a longish local ride. Maybe I'll start at 6:30 am and see how far I can get by 2:00.

PS - If someone in the DC area is headed up and needs a ride packet and tag, I can let it go cheap.

Last edited by cc_rider; 09-09-10 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 11:42 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ARRRRRGHHHHH

Rain or shine, but not car crash.

Was all packed and looking forward to the ride, then yesterday I had a major fender bender. No one hurt and car is drivable for local trips, but I don't trust it for 600 miles at highway speed. This accident is sucking up time at work I didn't have, and a problem with one of the projects means that my pleasant 4 day break would be reduced to a drive up Saturday night and back Sunday night. Plus I'd need to rent a car to get there.

Reluctantly going to have to cancel my trip. Really bummed about it, since I'd been looking forward to it all year and this was effectively my summer vacation.

Consolation will be to do a longish local ride. Maybe I'll start at 6:30 am and see how far I can get by 2:00.

PS - If someone in the DC area is headed up and needs a ride packet and tag, I can let it go cheap.
Bummer! Plus we're sunk without your balloon as a rallying point.
Old 09-09-10, 03:41 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey guys. I'm riding Sunday.

It's going to be my 1st Century and
I haven't prepared one minute for it.

I just found out about it the day before yesterday,
slept on it and registered yesterday. I' committed.

Anybody riding out of The Bronx?

Old 09-09-10, 06:37 PM
NightHawkHat

Bikes: Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC

Actually, there is plenty of light at the 6am start. They've worked it out pretty well. If you arrive at 5:30 it will be dark but by 6 there is ample gray light. I've never seen any early crashes. The crashes come later when people are exhausted.
Old 09-09-10, 06:49 PM
NightHawkHat

Bikes: Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you'll have trouble finding a parking spot. Enough people are still going away for the weekends that parking isn't that big of a deal on a Sunday. cc's suggestion of parking on Riverside is an excellent one. I'd look for a spot closer to 110th street, which will shorten your ride to the start.

There will be no car traffic at all at that time of day.

One thing: once the ride begins, you will have a hard time driving around Riverside drive below 110th or crossing 110th. It will be your car vs. a few thousand bicycles. Plan to park before 6am.
Old 09-09-10, 08:26 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looks like possible rain in the afternoon.
Old 09-09-10, 08:31 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
So bummed I'm gonna miss stationing the sports drink bar at Astoria Park this year. Last year, I worked the hose and mixing jugs for several hours - SICK AS A DOG - so I didn't get to really chat with many of the riders. I had fun being part of the event anyway, and hoped to return this Sunday. Unfortunately, I got sucked into providing music for a street festival out here in the burbs that day.

Have fun, everybody. I hope you have some good weather.
Old 09-10-10, 06:04 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummer! Plus we're sunk without your balloon as a rallying point.
If you have a Fed Ex account I could ship you one.
Have fun, guys. Wish I was joining you.
Old 09-10-10, 08:42 AM
hkboy313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aww man! well the important thing is that yall were ok! i'll bike for you cc rider

im doing the 100 not sure how we're all gonna meet now whos interested PM me...
Old 09-10-10, 12:13 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen
Looks like possible rain in the afternoon.
More motivation to finish quickly! The cooler temps should make for a quick ride, I hope.

FYI, I'll wear either my BF jersey (yellow and blue) or my new NY Yankees jersey. I don't want to ruin the latter in rainy conditions so if the final forecast calls for a hint of rain, it'll like be the former. I still expect to start with the first group.
Old 09-10-10, 02:55 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
More motivation to finish quickly! The cooler temps should make for a quick ride, I hope.
Absolutely...I'll be racing the rainfall.

FYI, I'll wear either my BF jersey (yellow and blue) or my new NY Yankees jersey. I don't want to ruin the latter in rainy conditions so if the final forecast calls for a hint of rain, it'll like be the former. I still expect to start with the first group

I'll look for you...I'm supposed to leave with the first group as well.

Good news. Looks like the rain is being pushed of until "after" 3:00pm.
If I can keep my 16mph avg, I should be able to make it by 3 (including breaks).

But rain or shine, I will ride it out.

Last edited by 2ndGen; 09-10-10 at 05:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.