Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How many different routes ...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 08:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

How many different routes do you have in your area to cycle?

Our well is running dry. We were casting about for new places to go today ... and realised that we've done most of it, and have done most of it many times.

One of the difficulties here is that we'll look at Google Maps and find a nice-looking loop we haven't tried yet that isn't killer hilly ... but then we discover that half of it is gravel.

Gravel is OK if we want to ride our touring bicycles and if the gravel stretches aren't too long ... we did some gravel riding the other weekend, but if we want to ride our titaniums, it is a little less enjoyable.

So how's your area? Do you end up riding the same routes over and over, or do you have a lot of variety?
Old 05-14-17, 08:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
LOL .... you guys have a range of several hundred kilometers and have worn out all the routes?

(Just kidding.)

I am always combining different routes, trying to extend routes a little ... but unless I drive to a starting point, there isn't much I haven't ridden in the area. I don't have anything like your range, but even when i was riding twice as far ... there are only so many suitable roads.

Mostly on my usual loops I barely notice where I am riding ... now and then I look up to see the sun through some trees or something. I just try to catch the good stuff, and ignore the rest.

I have come to realize that I might need to actually drive to ride my bike. And six days a week i simply don't have time.

I really don't feel to badly for you guys though. I live in the middle of endless suburbia ... a "good route" means fewer cars pulling out of strip malls trying to hit me, or riding past slightly better-maintained houses.

As I recall you guys switch between Vancouver and Australia ... pretty sure both regions off actual ...you know, Pretty vistas and stuff. As opposed to "Look ... a Burger King!"

(still just kidding. I do appreciate what you are going through.)
Old 05-14-17, 09:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We're on a relatively small island, and in the south end of the island, where we live, we've got a combination of ...

-- half the roads are paved and half are gravel
-- there aren't a lot of roads because it is so hilly/mountainous and because of the amount of water around (bays, rivers, etc.)
-- narrow roads with little or no shoulders
-- fairly heavily populated area ... we're in a suburb of a somewhat sprawling city. Sprawling because of the mountainous terrain and all those bays, rivers, etc.
-- and busy roads

We rarely ride from home ... just not much in the way of good riding. So we usually drive to our start locations.

About once every 6 weeks or so, we go up north for a weekend where the cycling is much better ... so that's nice.

And the last time we were in the Vancouver area was 2 years ago.
Old 05-14-17, 09:15 AM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Living in the v of a v shaped lake means I ride a lot of the same routes until I get out about 15 miles. Gravel hauling on narrow roads chop off another section 6 days a week. I don't like to drive to a starting point. On hard effort days I don't notice, but when I take it easy I tend to chat with the livestock and enjoy the small differences I find on the route.
Old 05-14-17, 09:44 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Uncountable

I live in mid-town L.A. It would be difficult to run out of places to ride, just using my home as the starting point.

The Santa Monica Mountains are 20 min. north of my home by bike, and there are hundreds of roads that an be linked up in infinite combinations, with grades that in from mild to wild. Pavement, gravel, there's no lack of either.

To the south I can head a few miles into the Baldwin Hills, where there are magnificent views that stretch from downtown L.A. to the Pacific Ocean.

West takes me by a variety of routes to the ocean, where I can head north to picturesque Malibu and beyond, to a rugged, undeveloped coastline, or up to a series of dramatic roads in the Santa Monica Mountains, where they follow the coastline, too. Or I can travel south, for miles along a bike path, or through bike friendly beach towns (Santa Monica, Hermisa Beach, Manhattan Beach, etc.) to reach the beautiful Palos Verdes Peninsula, which rises above the South Bay. PV boasts abundant and beautiful roads that circle through the area and climb over it.

East takes me into the heart of downtown through a choice of neighborhoods, racially, religiously, sexually and architecturally diverse.

And with the city's growing light rail system, I can hop on a train that's minutes from my home and travel with my bike to new starting points that offer their own huge variety of routes.
Old 05-14-17, 10:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
Everything I have is Waaaay better than everything you have.
We are all coming to visit. Better stock up on sports drink and energy bars.
Old 05-14-17, 04:33 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
We have a pretty decent number of routes. We're in a northern suburb of LA and our town has really nice bike paths.

From my house, it's maybe 1/8 mile to get on a bike path and from there I can reach the outskirts of town in most directions. Since we live in a valley, there's lots of climbing routes into the mountains.

We have maybe five long routes that we can do from town, in the 50 mile range/5000 ft climbing range, and I can leave from my front door. I can ride 100 miles out & back to Mt Wilson. I organized a 125 mile/11000 ft climbing ride from my house once, up and over the mountains into the San Fernando Valley then back up into the mountains in a giant loop which eventually wound up back home. If I wanted miles but less climbing, I could ride to Santa Barbara, around a hundred miles.

We have some good options for shorter routes too, maybe 4-5 nice scenic 20-30 mile rides.

Also decent stretches of roads to get interval workouts done as long as I head out before dawn when traffic is light.

Add in mountain biking and we've got huge options in town. If Im willing to throw the bike in the car, I have dozens more appealing options within a 60-90 min drive.

I was just thinking this morning when I was out doing a wee recovery ride on the bike paths how lucky I am. I took up cycling after we moved to this town and I saw all the nice bike paths. It's really a testament to infrastructure- how if a town builds it, they will come. And be healthier and happier to boot.

When y'all are done with down under, you can move to LA. Completely loopy place to live. Exasperating traffic. Expensive. Every cliche about it is completely correct. But the cycling is good.
Old 05-14-17, 05:06 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Originally Posted by icyclist
Everything I have is Waaaay better than everything you have.
We are all coming to visit. Better stock up on sports drink and energy bars.

It's pretty good here in the Tri-State area, too, but getting from one good area to ride in to another isn't so easy. Fairfield County CT, upper Westchester County NY and on the west side of the Hudson, Bergen (NJ) and Rockland (NY) are all extremely popular with cyclists. The George Washington Bridge feeds city folk to the delights of Bergen and Rockland, but it can be a slog getting to Westchester or Fairfield, so folks from the city who really want to ride there take the train. A short car trip can take you to some fantastic riding. It takes a while to get to mountains, but challenging hills and fine scenery abound.

For myself, living just down the hill, about ten minutes from the middle of THE most cyclist-infested highway around, I'm sort of spoiled, and find myself taking pretty much the same selection of roads over and over. I know there are fine and reasonably bike-friendly roads to the west (good enough for my Strava neighbors to frequent, at least), but rarely feel adventurous enough to find them.
Old 05-14-17, 06:12 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's funny but I never mind riding the same routes over and over. I really don't check out the scenery much when riding or running. I am just happy to have a great place to ride with weather that would let me to do it 365 days a year if I were actually able to.
Old 05-14-17, 07:10 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Agoura Hills is hard to beat for cycling routes.

Edit:Not my area, only 100 miles away.

San Diego County is also great - Fallbrook or Jamul as starting places.
Old 05-14-17, 07:44 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I usually try to ride with people I've never ridden with and let them do directions. Usually, everyone has a different subset of the world we live in in their mind. And so are preferred routes. I just let them show me their routes which usually are different from mine. Did that today, turned left at one place instead of the usual right and a whole new world opened up to me.
But I guess, Ontario has many more roads than a small island in Australia.
Old 05-15-17, 03:34 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
about 20 and with variations-40. regardless of distance and difficulty, there are only so many must-do
roads here in san diego county. you can cram in one to four of those roads on a 40+ mile ride. good weather.
decent quality of roads. fairly challenging. having lived in the area for 30 years tho, i find myself longing and
branching out to areas an hour's drive or two or three for the challenge and thrill of new/unfamiliar/been a long time
roads. these days, i'm more about the quality of the experience vs the quality of the performance so my goals will
be totally different than many.
Old 05-15-17, 04:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
How many different routes do you have in your area to cycle?

Our well is running dry. We were casting about for new places to go today ...and realised that we've done most of it, and have done most of it many times.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am always combining different routes, trying to extend routes a little ... but unless I drive to a starting point, there isn't much I haven't ridden in the area.
I have posted an informal cycling guide to Metro Boston:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath)…during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons…
Even though I've lived here for over 30 years, I always get lost on a new ride. Streets are laid out in a haphazard fashion; many streets, particularly the one you are riding on are not marked;they surreptiously change names; and in rotary intersections it's easy to lose your sense of direction. (I don't have a GPS.)

On a happier note, the Transportation Authority (MBTA) allows bikes on subways and commuter trains with certain restrictions and that's a nice way to get out of town without city riding.MBTA > Riding the T > Bikes on theT

ADDENDUM: See also this post about local bikepaths / MUPS in the City of Boston proper, and nearby.

I would describe the sectors as [of the region centered on the downtown, mostly for road riding outside of Rte 128]:

North Shore: Beautiful Atlantic coastline, especially north of Lynn, to include Nahant, Marblehead and Marblehead Neck, on through Salem, Beverly and into ritzy Beverly Farms, and up to seafaring Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich, etc.

Northern Suburbs: Lynnfield, Reading, Wilmington, Woburn, down through Winchester, etc: Pleasant suburban to rural inland roads.

Western: Lincoln, Lexington, Concord, Wayland, etc: Very ritzy, buccolic and historic; very popular for riding. This area IMO has the steepest hills.

Metrowest: Framingham, Natick; pleasant suburbs though pretty commercial along Rte 9

Southwest: Needham, Wellesley, Dover, Medfield, Walpole, Westwood, etc probably more popular than the western burbs; wealthy exurban to rural,moderately hilly country roads, horse farms, mansions.

South; Norwood, Canton, Randolph, etc: middle class suburbia; rideable

South Shore beyond Quincy and Weymouth and into Hingham, Scituate, Marshfield,etc: Atlantic coastal, nice riding, though I find it hardest to get to because of confusing suburbs and pretty heavy and industrial sections, especially Weymouth [though recently I've found some "backdoor" routes].
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
... I personally enjoy showing visitors around Boston, and I have offered some open-ended invitations on a few Forums to look me up if visiting Boston, for advice or to meet up. I do usually need a couple days notice to alter my schedule.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-15-17 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-15-17, 05:56 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
There is a 5 mile loop in my area that has almost zero car traffic. It is made up of about 10 streets and has a mix of hills and flats.

Each time I ride, I try to "randomize" my route so I am almost never doing the same route twice. If I want a crazy workout, I'll hit the hills a few times. If I want excitement, I'll take an easier route to the downhills.

That being said it's definitely repetitive but I'll take that over riding alongside cars that are doing 50mph any day. I am risk averse, ride with a helmet but I never feel comfortable when a car passes me at 50mph and is within a foot or two of me. The loop I ride is all residential homes and only has 2 feeder streets for car traffic so it's a really nice ride through a residential neighborhood.

If I'm being even pickier, I'll select the route that has the most newly paved streets just so I'm not dodging bumps etc. I ride for fitness not to travel so my riding goals are different than, say, a commuters.
Old 05-15-17, 06:23 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I live on an island (Aquidneck Island, part of RI) of just 37.8 sq miles. Over the years I think I've probably ridden on every single paved, public street/road (and many that aren't paved). If I ride an end-to-end circuit I can get a 50 mile ride without doubling over any roads. There are several routes I can use for shorter rides. There are only three bridges off the island. On one of them bicycles have never been permitted. Of the other two...until five or so years ago...only one of them allowed bikes. But that ride was treaterous since there aren't bike lanes. I've done it several times but don't like it. About five or so years ago the third bridge's replacement opened. It has a bike lane with a physical barrier from the highway. That opened up a whole new world and I can now depart from my house on the bike and enjoy rides all over eastern RI and southeastern MA.

Dan
Old 05-15-17, 06:25 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I moved to my current home 9 years ago. I'm still finding new routes.
Old 05-15-17, 06:47 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Countless. But I basically just repeat some variation of my three or four favorite rides up the coast, looping the local islands or climbing Mt. Soledad.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-15-17, 07:16 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Southern Alberta is OK, I guess. There are lots of quiet back country roads with decent tarmac and the highways mostly have good paved shoulders so I have lots of routes that I can ride, but there is a definite lack of good roads in the mountains. I think riding in France and Spain spoiled me.
Old 05-15-17, 07:24 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tons of routes, but no time. The speed limit on most roads here are 50 or 40km/he, with the highest being 60. The worst thing with the routes here are all the stoplights.
Old 05-15-17, 07:40 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
There are an infinite number of routes I could take in the city, but after many years of riding around here I've found there are only about 5 to 6 safe ones. I usually choose depending on the wind direction.
Old 05-15-17, 07:50 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I can get into a rut just riding the same routes, and combinations of the same routes, and to be honest that's OK most of the time. But every once in awhile for variety I look at Strava Heatmaps and put a random circuit together from the thickest lines and that turns out pretty well.
Old 05-15-17, 08:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I can get into a rut just riding the same routes, and combinations of the same routes, and to be honest that's OK most of the time. But every once in awhile for variety I look at Strava Heatmaps and put a random circuit together from the thickest lines and that turns out pretty well.
Is that a Premium thing?
Old 05-15-17, 08:28 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i live in foothills ... large hills so almost limitless
Old 05-15-17, 09:01 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Like sand on the beach.
Old 05-15-17, 09:30 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Is that a Premium thing?
No https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/ but the "labs" part makes me think that it's not "production" yet, still in testing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.