Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good Noticeable Upgrade?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Good Noticeable Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 01:38 PM
tws1098

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Much of a point in going to a wheel like Ultegra 6800 or Fulcrum 3? Or better to keep it as is and look for something better in good used condition?
Old 06-20-17, 01:41 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tws1098
Hey everyone, I don't usually post here but read a lot of posts. Still learning for sure.

I've been riding more seriously for about a year now and have dropped 10lbs (167lbs)...The way I understand it, I should be dropping about 3lbs in bike weight. Is that about right and if so, should be a pretty noticeable upgrade right?
What do your bikes weigh? Assuming one is about 15 and the other 18 pounds, I think that's about a 1.6% overall decreased difference in weight (bike weights plus your weight).

By itself a three pound decrease in weight is probably not going to make a noticeable difference between bikes, although it has noticeably lightened you wallet. 😉

Losing 13 pounds overall, though, should make a noticeable difference.
Old 06-20-17, 01:45 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
can you notice 2 bottles of water full vs empty? thats about the same
Physics and "notice" are two different things. Of course you notice 2 lbs - you just spent money for it. How can't you notice?
Old 06-20-17, 01:55 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Put some 1300 gram wheels on your bike and it will feel much different. Worth the investment, but that said, the cycling great Eddy Merckx said to be faster, "don't upgrade, ride Up-Grade."
Old 06-20-17, 01:57 PM
tws1098

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
What do your bikes weigh? Assuming one is about 15 and the other 18 pounds, I think that's about a 1.6% overall decreased difference in weight (bike weights plus your weight).

By itself a three pound decrease in weight is probably not going to make a noticeable difference between bikes, although it has noticeably lightened you wallet. 😉

Losing 13 pounds overall, though, should make a noticeable difference.
So I actually weighed my Trek and it's 20.5lbs and the Cannondale hasn't been weighed (shipping to me currently) but "should" be 16-16.5lbs. Actually a 4-4.5 lb difference instead of 3 as I thought.
Old 06-20-17, 01:58 PM
tws1098

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Physics and "notice" are two different things. Of course you notice 2 lbs - you just spent money for it. How can't you notice?
Haha yes, well played.
Old 06-20-17, 02:39 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Put some 1300 gram wheels on your bike and it will feel much different. Worth the investment, but that said, the cycling great Eddy Merckx said to be faster, "don't upgrade, ride Up-Grade."
It is much harder to do if you are not jacked up on banned PEDs. Eddy was a 2X busted (so I assume more than 2X user) user. Caught 2X/0 (so infinitely) more times than Lance. So not a good example.
Old 06-20-17, 03:43 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Much of a point in going to a wheel like Ultegra 6800 or Fulcrum 3? Or better to keep it as is and look for something better in good used condition?

I'd say wait a bit and save some cash. Personally, I'd get a nice low-use Enve 3.4 or Zipp 303...something like that. They are everywhere and especially the 303s but watch for those 188/88 hubs...get the newer 177/77s. I'm in the market for a new wheelset and I'll definitely go carbon this time. I'm waiting too, so I can get a good deal on a good wheelset. They seem to abound in the winter though.
Old 06-22-17, 10:08 AM
tws1098

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts on Dura Ace C24 wheels for $300 vs. the Mavics I have?
Old 06-22-17, 01:31 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
They're lightish but they're really not aerodynamic. IMO the aero matters more like 99% of the time, AND you're still losing weight which matters more than saving half a pound in wheels.
Old 06-22-17, 01:59 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
I'm pretty sure it's stated that KOMs are supposed to be solo, and if you draft someone etc, it's null, or if you do it, you can be proud for cheating.

This based on some former pro cyclist has been posting KOM attempts on YT, and he is very careful not to draft the bike who is filming him as it has to be solo riding to legitimize his KOM attempt.

Keep up your KOM solo rides!
I haven't heard of anything saying a KOM is supposed to be a solo effort.
As far as I am concerned drafting other cyclists and/or a good tail wind is ok.
Motorpacing however is not which would be why the pro you mention didn't draft the motorbike filming.
Old 06-22-17, 03:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's stated that KOMs are supposed to be solo, and if you draft someone etc, it's null, or if you do it, you can be proud for cheating.

This based on some former pro cyclist has been posting KOM attempts on YT, and he is very careful not to draft the bike who is filming him as it has to be solo riding to legitimize his KOM attempt.

Keep up your KOM solo rides!
Those are conditions that Phil Gaimon has placed on himself. Nor will he go after any flat segments.

But Strava doesn't know and doesn't care whether your KOM was solo or in a group.
Old 06-22-17, 03:29 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Those are conditions that Phil Gaimon has placed on himself. Nor will he go after any flat segments.

But Strava doesn't know and doesn't care whether your KOM was solo or in a group.
Well it makes sense. These are individual records, it's not team "blank." Not everyone has someone who can do an amazing lead out.

Yeah I get that Strava wouldn't know, but seems cheap, dirty, filthy and lame if anyone has a team to help them achieve a KOM. But then seems dirty and lame that Pros and amateurs are competing for the same KOM too.
Old 06-22-17, 03:47 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Upgrade-itis. It's awesome, isn't it?

First thing: make sure you have the right saddle on the CAAD10. And that the bike fits. It will be a noticeable upgrade.

ok, cool. $400 still burning a hole in your top tube? Aksiums are venerable, but on the portly side. For $400 you can get really nice wheels, but I'm with @caloso -- ride more. Ride the snot out of the CAAD10.

Lighter engine > lighter bike.
Old 06-22-17, 04:19 PM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Noticeable upgrade is hard to define. If you mean speed, your likely already into diminishing returns especially if on a budget. I'd be surprise if any single upgrade to your new bike at this point would give more than a few tenths of mph average under real road biking conditions. Perhaps aero wheels, but those are $$$.

There are noticeable upgrades as regards ride feel, ease of use, bling etc.

This is not to say don't upgrade, just recognize that there is no magic bike upgrade that is going to increase your speed by a large percentage.
Old 06-22-17, 07:03 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Well it makes sense. These are individual records, it's not team "blank." Not everyone has someone who can do an amazing lead out.

Yeah I get that Strava wouldn't know, but seems cheap, dirty, filthy and lame if anyone has a team to help them achieve a KOM. But then seems dirty and lame that Pros and amateurs are competing for the same KOM too.
I lead friends out for KOMs on occasion. I am 100% in favor of strava terrorism!
Old 06-22-17, 08:16 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Is it 'cheap, dirty, or lame' if you had an amazing tailwind on your effort? Or if you blew a stop sign to keep momentum going into a segmen? Or if you are riding a lighter bike with no water bottles? Or if you had fresher legs? Or...(on and on with ridiculous constraints)?

Seriously, I can't believe how serious people take Strava. Go stalk their ride and look for obvious signs of riding with others if you really need to convince yourself that you would have been faster had they not 'cheated.'
Old 06-24-17, 08:23 PM
tws1098

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the caad10 operational today. Came in with a busted derailleur hanger and in need of serious cleaning.

So I basically stripped it down (cut down the steerer tube while I was at it) lubed and greased everything that required it and wow what a difference. The slightly smaller frame and weight is quite noticeable coming from the trek. This bike feels much more nimble and snappier to accelerate. It is also more comfortable even on smaller tires. The shifting and braking is phenomenal with the red/force vs tiagra/no name brakes.

Weight with pedals ended up being 17.25 which is still over 3lbs lighter than the trek.

Overall I'm very happy...o and it came with cosmic elites instead of the aksiums listed in the ad. They seem fairly nice.
Old 06-26-17, 07:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Can anyone suggest a wheel/tire upgrade for the future?

My trek had Vuelta 37mm "aero" wheels with 25mm Vittoria Zaffiro Pro SE tires.

The CAAD has Mavic Aksiums with the same tires.

I'd like to stay under $400 on wheels and an open to suggestions on fast tires. While I do some climbing my usual workouts are around 15mi with only 500ft of climbing. I'd like to enter some events but don't really see racing in my future.

Thanks for all the input guys.
I have Aksiums on my Masi. They are heavy but bullet-proof. And, they're pretty inexpensive. I have Ksyrium Elites on my Guru. Those are lighter but still quite durable. Love them. I have seen Fulcrum Racing 3 wheelsets for under $400 and they weigh 1550 grams. They might work for you.
Old 06-26-17, 11:43 AM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I am 100% in favor of strava terrorism!
Why?