Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Am I a "Poser" in cycling and therefore should get out?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Am I a "Poser" in cycling and therefore should get out?

Old 07-02-17, 07:01 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
If you get back on the bike the next day, then today was not a bad day. It was just a day that made you stronger. Reframe how think about it. When you survive a horrible childhood or a severe life-threatening illness or other catastrophic situation, you win. Every day you dust yourself off and try again is proof you survived and won. The miles don't matter as much as you think.
Originally Posted by canklecat
This x 1,000.
Again, when I'm in a better place in my mind, this is the type of attitude I know to be valid. I extrapolate every small problem into a catastrophic situation. At least I'm rapidly becoming cognizant in a more formal way of the things I have done my entire life to self-sabotage, and that is a one of a number of things I do.

I just finished the 11th book in 2 months relating to trauma and recovery, child abuse, CSA, CPTSD and comorbid mental health conditions:

Rebuilding Shattered Lives: Treating Complex PTSD and Dissociative Disorders, James A. Chu, M.D.

Everything I am experiencing seems very consistent with the theory and practices he writes about, which gives me some degree of hope that I can get through this to some place of resolution of the internal conflicts. I really found that book insightful because Chu is a Harvard Med School psychiatrist who started a clinic from scratch to treat adult survivors of child abuse, and the book is written as a "how to" guide for clinicians to adopt and implement his treatment protocols.
Old 07-03-17, 09:02 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Don't Mention What You Spend on Cycling

It's unseemly, Dave. It gives the appearance you're trolling.
Old 07-03-17, 09:10 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Riding a bike won't heal emotional scars. It's fun (if you let it be fun) but it isn't magic. Healing takes time. Emotional healing often requires something transformative, like initiation. And some scars never heal.

To avoid dehydration, bonking and hyponatremia, drink water and consume sugar and salts. Find a balance of those that works for you.

Riding with other people can help, too.
Old 07-03-17, 09:25 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
By the way, I highly recommend Ten Points, a memoir by Bill Strickland, an editor at Bicycling magazine. It would be on point for you, tough to read because of the subject matter yet possibly showing you one way forward. Good luck.
Old 07-03-17, 09:35 AM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
Yeah, probably, but I guess I'm more just grasping at any life preserver anyone is willing to throw in the water right now 'cause I've got nothing, and when I have these waves of panic I panic and do stupid sh$$.

If this looks bad you won't want to see the non-cyber, flesh and blood version. Starting with my job.

So sorry about that.

I finally came to the conclusion that maybe I'm not the problem after all, and I am reversing causality with this thing. Accept that truth and get a few wins under my belt again and I'll be ok.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 07-03-17 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-03-17, 09:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Pick something and actively improve it; cycling is great for that. It alters your mind-set, as long as you're doing something and it starts to work. It may be too little too late, I don't know but it has helped me get over some humps.
Old 07-03-17, 10:10 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'm well over 50. Spent the past two years doing a lot less riding. Saw the Cycle Oregon course last January and signed up, knowing that I was going to ride it on a fix gear after seeing the course profile. (Going to Crater Lake - not flat - but a course with few required stops to turn the wheel around for a lower gear.)

So I got back on the bike again, but with a plan. That was and still is a gradual buildup toward being strong, fit and injury free this September. (That injury free bit at 64 yo is VERY important! Not burning out is also important. I've done many LSD rides. I do hard rides occasionally and have reaped big gains from them, but if I get on the bike and don't have it, I don't push. Yesterday was one of those days. It was day 7 of riding every day, with hard efforts last Wed and Thurs. Got going. Chain sounded dry. Went back and lubed it, well. Finally get started. Bike felt great. I didn't. The plan was to go 70 miles with several hard hills coming home. I felt no enthusiasm. Decided to go 1/3rd of the way and turn around. Got there and kept going. Went past my next turn-around point. But I had zero enthusiasm for the 10 miles then the final hills. So I cut it short and "loafed" over one of the areas toughest climbs, not caring at all how slow I went. (Portland area's Laurelwood Rd, 20 miles SW of town.) Rambled home. The ride was not what I intended, but it wasn't a setback and I felt good after.

I find it really important to listen to my body. Not just the injuries and muscles but the intangibles. Sometimes I get the word that I shouldn't ride. I usually regret not listening. When I hear that and do ride, I usually don't pay too much penalty if I keep that ride strictly easy.

Ben
Old 07-03-17, 10:50 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Can't ride fast, can't ride far enough, can't ride consistent enough. No amount of S-Works or Di2 or Pearl Izumi can fix that.
Most people complain about driving 120mi, let alone biking that far. Having a bad day is nothing to be ashamed of. Heck, I'm not willing to start at 3am.

The real secret is having fun.
I read both here and mtbr (mountain biking). Here there's lots of discussion about suffering and long hard rides. Over on the mountain forums, it's about finding the "flow", where you just enjoy the ride. Just an interesting contrast...

You need to dial it back a little. Everyone here is riding for fun & fitness, it's not a career. If you're riding so hard that you're not having fun and it's impacting your health it's time to change your riding style.
Join a club, drive to new routes, try gravel or mountain biking.

It's one thing to push through some discomfort, set a personal best, etc. When you start having real physical symptoms, it's time to call the ride.
Old 07-03-17, 11:11 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I finally came to the conclusion that maybe I'm not the problem after all, and I am reversing causality with this thing. Accept that truth and get a few wins under my belt again and I'll be ok.
That is the best thing I've heard you say. Unfortunately some victims spend their whole life trying to figure out why they were the victim or what they did to cause it. The reality is that the victim didn't do anything to cause it. You just happened to be there. It would have happened to someone else across town or across the country if they had your father.

I can't imagine how difficult it has been for you, but you need to embrace all the wins you get. As others have said, each day is a new day and you just have to forget any loses from before and start off fresh.

John
Old 07-03-17, 12:23 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Whatever you choose, stay away from golf.
Old 07-03-17, 01:31 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Can't ride fast, can't ride far enough, can't ride consistent enough.
Life Is Not A Competition.

Humans are amazingly complex. There is ALWAYS someone else around who is faster, fitter, more consistent, more handsome, wealthier, more-something.
Since you're not a pro, ignore it.

If you have to measure, measure yourself against you.

What someone else might have done in your situation isn't important.
What you might have done a week before or a week after isn't important.
All that matters is what you did then&there compared to what you could have done then & there.

So I'm this pathetic wannabe poser loser and I should just accept that and wait for my final judgment from God I guess?
Pathetic - I can't tell from a single post. But I've heard a lot of people with cruder goals and shallower reasons.
I say no.
Wannabee - well yeah. You say you want to be an athlete. By definition you'll be a wannabee until you either quit, or reach whatever goal you need to achieve to be able to think of yourself as an athlete. What's that, doing a triathlon? Doing a Tri and placing within the top xx of your age group?
Nothing wrong with a bit of ambition. Tends to help with motivation.
If you have trouble dealing with disappointment, I'd recommend using an attainable goal.
Poser - really?
Ever heard "fake it 'til you make it"?
If you're trying hard enough to puke, that'd really be taking posing to a whole new level.
In fact, you'd have taken it so far I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and "real" trying.

It'd need a lab and some serious blood work to sort that out.

Loser - again, Life Is Not A Competition.
In life, "loser" is an attitude, not a list placement.
To me, a loser is a quitter. Someone who doesn't even try properly.
Doesn't sound like you.

But a bit of acceptance might do you good.
Sometimes the body has a mind of its own.
Sometimes events and circumstances gang up on you.
Sometimes flexibility and adaptability is overall better than stubborn determination.
There will always be someone faster, stronger, better. Don't sweat it.

Don't wait for God. Life should be rewarding while its being lived. If it isn't, find out what you're doing wrong and fix it.
Old 07-03-17, 11:24 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Yeah, probably, but I guess I'm more just grasping at any life preserver anyone is willing to throw in the water right now 'cause I've got nothing, and when I have these waves of panic I panic and do stupid sh$$.

If this looks bad you won't want to see the non-cyber, flesh and blood version. Starting with my job.

So sorry about that.

My grandmother told me every day that you get out of bed is a win. Life is hard, you never know what's going to come at you, life can crush you if you let it, so every time you get up and face the day you have already won. My granny was a very smart woman You are a survivor - you have nothing else to prove.
Old 07-04-17, 09:31 AM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks again guys... today was a "do-over"

Since I had a 4 day weekend (wasn't expecting Monday) I took the time to revisit this entire incident.

There are numerous logical failures in my "emotional outburst" in post #1 - I only have a moment right now, and 4% battery life, so leave it there.

I repeated the ride but with significant changes:

I left at around midnight, cool clear dry and breezy weather.

I usually bundle up due to anemia issues, but wore a compression shirt and traditional jersey. Took 2 extra shirts in case, added one around 3 am and 2nd at 5 am.

I drank about 3 times my normal water - I wasn't getting enough.

I ate every hour - 1 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt, 2 tablespoons almonds, AND - very different for me - 1/2 a standard Hershey bar.

I altered the route dramatically, the 120 round trip was "due west then due south" - I shaved 35 miles by doing the hypotenuse, basically, easy here because many roads are true NS / EW in a grid pattern (our "Mile Roads") so S a mile then W a mile.

Ended being about 90 miles, 7 hours total - on an alloy hybrid with trunk rack and gear/supplies.

Not perfect ... but "good enough" and I'm happy because I can do it.
Old 07-04-17, 10:44 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
You're overthinking this. Just get on your bike and ride.
Old 07-04-17, 03:40 PM
linberl

Since I had a 4 day weekend (wasn't expecting Monday) I took the time to revisit this entire incident.

There are numerous logical failures in my "emotional outburst" in post #1 - I only have a moment right now, and 4% battery life, so leave it there.

I repeated the ride but with significant changes:

I left at around midnight, cool clear dry and breezy weather.

I usually bundle up due to anemia issues, but wore a compression shirt and traditional jersey. Took 2 extra shirts in case, added one around 3 am and 2nd at 5 am.

I drank about 3 times my normal water - I wasn't getting enough.

I ate every hour - 1 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt, 2 tablespoons almonds, AND - very different for me - 1/2 a standard Hershey bar.

I altered the route dramatically, the 120 round trip was "due west then due south" - I shaved 35 miles by doing the hypotenuse, basically, easy here because many roads are true NS / EW in a grid pattern (our "Mile Roads") so S a mile then W a mile.

Ended being about 90 miles, 7 hours total - on an alloy hybrid with trunk rack and gear/supplies.

Not perfect ... but "good enough" and I'm happy because I can do it.

It's all perspective...your "good enough" would have been "amazing" had I done it. My longest ride is 40 miles so I'm impressed as hell by what you did. It's celebration worthy! Look in the mirror, give yourself a pat on the back - you not only persevered, you succeeded at something only a small percentage of people can do. The # of people in the general population who can pull off a 90 mile ride is minuscule. You can do a century, how many foks are capable of that???? Now give yourself some nice treats for your body as a reward.
Old 07-04-17, 04:34 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's all perspective...your "good enough" would have been "amazing" had I done it. My longest ride is 40 miles so I'm impressed as hell by what you did. It's celebration worthy! Look in the mirror, give yourself a pat on the back - you not only persevered, you succeeded at something only a small percentage of people can do. The # of people in the general population who can pull off a 90 mile ride is minuscule. You can do a century, how many foks are capable of that???? Now give yourself some nice treats for your body as a reward.
Thanks that means a lot to me.

Treats? You must have missed the part about 1/2 a Hershey Bar every hour.

I went to this RD about 3 years ago for a few months - she said I, everyone, should eat 2-3 ounces of chocolate a couple of times a week - as long as it was 85% or higher Cacao.

Maybe Hershey bars in moderation with a purpose, blood sugar level maintenance during exertion, fat to slow absorption and avoid spikes and drops, is a better plan? Sounds good to me.
Old 07-04-17, 05:48 PM
linberl

Thanks that means a lot to me.

Treats? You must have missed the part about 1/2 a Hershey Bar every hour.

I went to this RD about 3 years ago for a few months - she said I, everyone, should eat 2-3 ounces of chocolate a couple of times a week - as long as it was 85% or higher Cacao.

Maybe Hershey bars in moderation with a purpose, blood sugar level maintenance during exertion, fat to slow absorption and avoid spikes and drops, is a better plan? Sounds good to me.
Chocolate is good but I was thinking more about something like a massage or steam bath, lol. If I did 90 miles my body would be screaming for some reparations
Old 07-04-17, 07:37 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Chocolate is good but I was thinking more about something like a massage or steam bath, lol. If I did 90 miles my body would be screaming for some reparations
Well would have been nice, but life goes on, and I'm playing catch up anyway.

I sat down for about 30 minutes when I got home, then spent the day working out cleaning up the yard. 4 acres neglected for 5 years, today was relatively easy, sprayed a lot of Roundup, trying to get rid of the weeds and volunteer seedlings, especially poison ivy starting in the about 1/2 acre woodlot at the rear of the yard.
Old 07-04-17, 10:08 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I crashed bad nearly 6 years ago on my bike. Broke my neck, broke my back did a lot of damage. The mental damage is what I am fighting today. I cannot ride more than 10 miles before my survival instinct forces me off the bike because I JUST KNOW I AM GOING TO CRASH. I cannot ride up or down hills. Watching others do it and my palms are sweating. I keep finding excuses not to ride outdoors but only indoors. And I just bought some cleated shoes to limit heel strikes on my bike frame, the bike I crashed on and have ridden outdoors. Since achilles tendon reconstruction in December, my heel wants to turn into the chain stay. Even with pedal extenders, I still get heel strikes. But I ca easily say, I cannot ever see myself riding clipless outside ever... Twenty years ago, I was a monster. Today, the monster beats me just enough to question my very desire to be on a bike. And I kick him in the throat with every stroke of the pedals, even indoors. Living in fear sucks...
Old 07-05-17, 06:21 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I'd agree with those Hershey Bars being a treat! There's nothing like a standard milk chocolate flat Hershey's when you want some chocolate. But the thought of a nice hot shower and stretching out afterwards could be the prize in that box of cereal for me.

Getting the yard work underway sounds like a start in resuming life, as we knew it, just don't let it become another trip wire when you don't or can't get something finished up quite the way you want. Enjoy that you are progressing some each day, but don't stop with the therapist please. One step at a time is how this one is going to be played out, including those days when its a back step. Good to know that you have found a way to see the positives that come your way, keep that outlook going.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-05-17, 10:14 AM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
I crashed bad nearly 6 years ago on my bike. Broke my neck, broke my back did a lot of damage. The mental damage is what I am fighting today. I cannot ride more than 10 miles before my survival instinct forces me off the bike because I JUST KNOW I AM GOING TO CRASH. I cannot ride up or down hills. Watching others do it and my palms are sweating. I keep finding excuses not to ride outdoors but only indoors. And I just bought some cleated shoes to limit heel strikes on my bike frame, the bike I crashed on and have ridden outdoors. Since achilles tendon reconstruction in December, my heel wants to turn into the chain stay. Even with pedal extenders, I still get heel strikes. But I ca easily say, I cannot ever see myself riding clipless outside ever... Twenty years ago, I was a monster. Today, the monster beats me just enough to question my very desire to be on a bike. And I kick him in the throat with every stroke of the pedals, even indoors. Living in fear sucks...
Hey, so sorry to hear about that experience, and what it has done to you. What you describe in terms of your fear and your psychological issues around it are not dissimilar in some ways to what I've experienced, both about riding (although in my case the problem was merely displacement or projection of other issues onto cycling) and about other life issues.

It is something you could work on, if you think it would help you. I'm obviously in no way qualified to even ID your particulars, no suggest what could or might work, but it feels "familiar" enough to me to believe it falls somewhere on the trauma/PTSD/anxiety disorder spectrum - talking with a professional might help you, as I hope working with two of them (MD and PhD) will help me. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-05-17, 10:17 AM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Getting the yard work underway sounds like a start in resuming life, as we knew it, just don't let it become another trip wire when you don't or can't get something finished up quite the way you want. Enjoy that you are progressing some each day, but don't stop with the therapist please. One step at a time is how this one is going to be played out, including those days when its a back step. Good to know that you have found a way to see the positives that come your way, keep that outlook going.

Bill
Roundup (well, actually 3 different products/brands, depending on what I was trying to kill and where), and LOTS of it - 4 acres of 5 years of overgrowth makes for plenty of opportunity to spray herbicides. Yeah, there was no down side to this one - it was a "can't go wrong" project, because I'm not really concerned about "saving" stuff that is there which I did plant - if I can, fine, but if it's easier long-run to kill that off with the weeds, hey, I'm all about looking for that clean slate right now.

I'm soooo gonna enjoy watching these suckers turn brown and die, especially all of the poison ivy in my woods.
Old 07-05-17, 10:45 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
I've been cycling for a little over a year now and honestly, I seriously doubt I'll ever attempt a 120 mile ride, let alone finish one.

When I started I wasn't thinking about riding long distances or getting a high end road bike or being a "serious cyclist". I was just looking to get in better shape, maybe lose a few pounds, and hopefully feel better. I started by riding an old mountain bike a few miles before work several days a week and gradually built up to a point where I felt I wanted a road bike to do some longer rides on the weekends so I bought a used road bike that is more than good enough for anyone that isn't riding competitively.

Now I'm at a point where I can do 40 miles plus and not feel sore the next day and feel pretty good about that. Could I go 50 or 60 or more? I don't really know and don't feel like it's something I have to do.

If at some point, I decide to do longer rides then I'll give it a try but if it doesn't work out, I'm not going to get rid of everything and stop riding. I'll just go back to doing what I'm comfortable with and enjoy.
Old 07-05-17, 12:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
No amount of S-Works or Di2 or Pearl Izumi can fix that.
Enough Rapha can fix it.
Old 07-05-17, 12:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
+1. And that is not the only thing that gives that appearance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.