Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Old 09-17-19, 01:02 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Over my (literally) one-of-a-kind, singularly beautiful, super fly, ti ride.
It's the rider, not the bike.
Old 09-17-19, 01:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
It's the rider, not the bike.
There is no rider without the bike.

Sleep on that one.
Old 09-17-19, 01:32 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
There is no rider without the bike.
And this here, kids, is Bike Forums, encapsulated

Sleep on that one.
Don't flatter yourself. Got bigger fish to fry. Good night and good luck.
Old 09-17-19, 02:01 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I find the opposite: increased braking in a turn reduces the turn radius, and getting off the brakes in a turn increases the radius. Unless I adjust the steering (and lean angle) to compensate.
If you're going slow then yes, braking can decrease the turn radius. But when you're approaching limits of friction braking mid turn will require you to allocate friction for braking instead of turning. There's only so much friction to go around and thus it's a well known piece of wisdom for any rubber on tarmac speedsport that any grip you use for braking cannot be used for cornering and vice versa.

Typically braking while cornering is a bad idea and should be avoided if at all possible. Goes as well for cars in traffic as well as bombing down downhills with a bicycle.
Old 09-17-19, 04:40 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
If you're going slow then yes, braking can decrease the turn radius. But when you're approaching limits of friction braking mid turn will require you to allocate friction for braking instead of turning. There's only so much friction to go around and thus it's a well known piece of wisdom for any rubber on tarmac speedsport that any grip you use for braking cannot be used for cornering and vice versa.

Typically braking while cornering is a bad idea and should be avoided if at all possible. Goes as well for cars in traffic as well as bombing down downhills with a bicycle.
wouldn't front braking drive the front tire harder into the ground, putting more load on it, thus increasing friction with the ground?
Old 09-17-19, 05:06 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Carbon stems are for those with death wishes. Try not to drool.
Flip it.
Old 09-17-19, 05:09 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
The only real point to this otherwise utterly pointless thread: to get to page 17 (and beyond).

So, consider this post a public service; just a small contribution to a worthy cause.
Old 09-17-19, 05:10 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Not true. The fastest technique through turns is by braking into the apex.

Braking at maximum lean

For braking in a curve, take the example of a rider cornering with good traction, leaning at 45 degrees, the equivalent of 1G centrifugal acceleration. Braking with 1/10g increases the traction demand by one half percent. The sum of cornering and braking vectors is the square root of the sum of their squares, SQRT(1^2+0.1^2)=1.005 or an increase of 0.005. In other words, there is room to brake substantially during maximum cornering. Because the lean angle changes as the square of the speed, braking can rapidly reduce the angle and allow even more braking. For this reason skilled racers nearly always apply both brakes into the apex of turns.
--Jobst Brandt, 2003-08-01

Last edited by terrymorse; 09-17-19 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 05:11 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
... and there we go! Excellent!
Old 09-17-19, 07:16 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Don't know about "most" - in my case, I can ride 300kms on my drop bar road bike and on my flat bar with double bar ends MTB too. But to be able to use the drops, my bar is only 4cm lower than my saddle, which means an ugly sky-pointing stem. The original quill stem put the bar 8cm lower than the saddle, it looked good but I couldn't use the drops for more than 10-15mins.
Old 09-17-19, 07:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Bars?! I don't need your stinking bars!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-17-19, 11:35 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 222 Posts
Not true. The fastest technique through turns is by braking into the apex.

Braking at maximum lean

For braking in a curve, take the example of a rider cornering with good traction, leaning at 45 degrees, the equivalent of 1G centrifugal acceleration. Braking with 1/10g increases the traction demand by one half percent. The sum of cornering and braking vectors is the square root of the sum of their squares, SQRT(1^2+0.1^2)=1.005 or an increase of 0.005. In other words, there is room to brake substantially during maximum cornering. Because the lean angle changes as the square of the speed, braking can rapidly reduce the angle and allow even more braking. For this reason skilled racers nearly always apply both brakes into the apex of turns.
--Jobst Brandt, 2003-08-01
You really are an enigma. I particularly remember you and the other guy raving about how unsafe it is to descend on the hoods and how the only responsible and safe way to descend is on the drops.

Yet here you come out saying braking while cornering is a good idea. Yet you fail to read between the lines of the quote you posted where it can be quite easily interpreted that braking into the apex is somewhat of a pushing it to the limits maneuver where a skilled rider has through vast experience and training learned how gauge the levels of grip and uses that knowledge to do something fast but also pretty extreme in every sense.

When you brake while cornering you're using cornering grip for braking. If you exceed the available grip you wipe out instantly. While braking while cornering can be done successfully and many experienced racers do it, it still carries an inherent and quite immense risk which also sometimes realizes in pro racing. To me, a casual rider it is a risk I'm unwilling to take since I'm not making money off the speed I descend at.

You know what skilled racers also do which can be done successfully with few ill effects but also carries an immense risk of failure and severe ill effects? Doping. Also not something I'd recommend for anyone but it does objectively make you faster if that's the goal.
Old 09-17-19, 11:52 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It doesn't matter what vehicle you're in or on, if it has tires on it you have a variable in play, and that is: maximum amount of available grip. You can use that grip to accelerate or decelerate, or you can use it to turn. Doing one borrows from the other.

Braking inside a corner means you entered that corner with too much speed. The fastest line through the corner is the one without braking.
Old 09-17-19, 11:56 PM
Metieval

You really are an enigma.
congrats on twisting something so far that it is no longer in the same context.
Old 09-18-19, 12:06 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It doesn't matter what vehicle you're in or on, if it has tires on it you have a variable in play, and that is: maximum amount of available grip. You can use that grip to accelerate or decelerate, or you can use it to turn. Doing one borrows from the other.

Braking inside a corner means you entered that corner with too much speed. The fastest line through the corner is the one without braking.
the term is "trail braking", and it is faster to trail brake.

Lightened braking, which fits in with why being in the drops is better. More control over your braking. Unlike the guys on the hoods with the on/off braking.
Old 09-18-19, 12:12 AM
Metieval

braking is an art form, so is traction

yes it is a drop bar, and yes I use the drops in the snow, on the snow. No it is not fixed, it is freewheel.

I also know that it is possible to save a front wheel washout.

Old 09-18-19, 07:07 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Reach and stack really affect this conversation.

Generally drop bars even at 440mm are narrower than flat bars. Narrow also matters for steering and aero.

I would say if you don’t use them much get a higher stack and a shallower drop handlebar. So then you can use both and have plenty of hamd options.

Also, even for the non racer I’d suggest a slightly aero drop bar. The flatter top section of the bar tops is heavenly to me compared to a round bar. Also, that “additional” position just short of the hoods being flat is really nice on an aero bar for comfort. Just buy one without much change in reach.
Agree - it's not that "drop bars just aren't for everybody." It's that drop bars slammed downward are too aggressive for most people. Without being judgemental, many of us, me included, cannot sustainably lean enough to ride regularly in the hooks or drops. Many of us need shallower bars, frames with taller stack (top of head tube is higher above the BB), or stems adjusted upward (quill or threadless).

There is still a purpose for products like the Nitto Technomic and Tallux stems. The giraffe effect is not necessarily a bad thing - put cycling comfort over style. And while one may sacrifice short-term speed with the taller stem (if you actually do cycle at your maximum effort) you'll probably fatigue faster due to discomfort. I think better comfort enables longer endurance at a reasonably high average speed.

If you can maintain 17 mph in drops for say, 20 minutes, and with higher bars you can maintain 15 mph for 2 hours, in which case can you go farther in a given ride? And in the longer ride, you have a greater need for varying hand positions just because of duration - so it's better to have a raised drop bar than an upright "3-speed bar," nice as those are.

Last edited by Road Fan; 09-18-19 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-18-19, 07:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
More control over your braking. Unlike the guys on the hoods with the on/off braking.
To quote someone from earlier "congrats on twisting something so far that it is no longer in the same context." Braking from the hoods is now "on/off braking"? Give me a break...pun intended. "On/off braking" implies that those of us who brake from the hoods either can't stop or can't control our speed or are flipping over the bars. None of that is true.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-18-19 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-18-19, 07:56 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

You're not wrong, but it also occurs to me that too much speed = faster, and as trivial as that sounds I think it's the main reason for trail braking. Going into the turn too hot - the only time I do it as a non-racer - and braking before the apex.
Old 09-18-19, 08:48 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Incorrect, on both accounts.

Experienced descenders--including pros--brake into curves. So does every race car driver. The technique even has a name: trail-braking. It involves braking hard as you approach the turn, then easing off the brake as you turn into it. I use this technique on every turn that requires hard braking, letting off the brake completely somewhere near the apex.

How Trail Braking Makes You a Faster Driver

Old 09-18-19, 08:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Yet here you come out saying braking while cornering is a good idea.
And here you come out saying "braking while cornering is a bad idea and should be avoided if at all possible".

You are incorrect.

Every skilled descender brakes into curves. It is not only fast, it is safe. Simple physics shows this. I literally brake into every fast turn.

Stop fear mongering.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-18-19, 09:05 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Let me help you with an article aimed towards cyclists, not race car drivers: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/zeps-h...ners-2015.html
Excellent article, thanks for posting.

Old 09-18-19, 09:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yeah, you can't get multiple hand positions without a drop bar....

Old 09-18-19, 09:59 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by cyccommute
To quote someone from earlier "congrats on twisting something so far that it is no longer in the same context." Braking from the hoods is now "on/off braking"? Give me a break...pun intended. "On/off braking" implies that those of us who brake from the hoods either can't stop or can't control our speed or are flipping over the bars. None of that is true.
Dragging feet never flipped a guy over his bars either. Which is what hood braking does, it just drags the pads.
Old 09-18-19, 10:49 AM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
Incorrect, on both accounts.

Experienced descenders--including pros--brake into curves. So does every race car driver. The technique even has a name: trail-braking. It involves braking hard as you approach the turn, then easing off the brake as you turn into it. I use this technique on every turn that requires hard braking, letting off the brake completely somewhere near the apex.

How Trail Braking Makes You a Faster Driver
I drove sport bikes for 15yrs, and raced....then started riding a road bike last year...its amazing how many of my skills have transferred over. completely agree about your trail braking...have done this for years and years...and did it instinctively on my road bike...almost without realization until i read this comment..

JAG
Likes For sirjag:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.