Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's with the urge for speed?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 07:13 AM
dandak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't get it. (Never really understood it back when I was in my 20s either.) Unless you are racing, what is the big deal with speed? I'm looking for a new bike and all I hear and read is how much faster I can go with the new ones. Lets see, I can devote maybe 1/2 hour or 1 hour to a ride once or twice a week. So I ride for an hour. Does it really matter if I go 15 miles vs 10 miles? If I do 10 miles on an old inefficient bike and burn XX calories doing so, why is that worse than going 15 miles on a new bike and still burn the same XX calories? One hour outside in the fresh air enjoying myself either way. Dont get me wrong, definitely getting a new bike for comfort and the newer gizmos, but speed is the least reason for it yet the first the dealers bring up to me. They can see they are not talking to a 21 year old macho-comacho type rider. Am I all alone in this or are any other members of this forum in the same frame of mind?
Old 08-06-17, 07:23 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Unlike the Auto Industry, the bicycle industry has never been able to convince anyone that a new vehicle will help you get laid more often. So it basically is all that is left.

The difference in bike weights is usually less than the difference between full and empty water bottles. No one notices that difference when they ride.

Tires (and maybe wheels) will make most of the difference.
Old 08-06-17, 07:23 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Old 08-06-17, 07:32 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Is this a troll? I would've used "macho comacho" as the sock puppet.
Well if not, since this is the 50plus, maybe its the same reason we drive a convertible, to blow wind through our wispy hair (or bald head), its FUN.

Last edited by texaspandj; 08-06-17 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-06-17, 08:02 AM
atitagain

Bikes: caad 8 c'dale , trek madone 5.2

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
here we go again
Old 08-06-17, 08:06 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by dandak
I don't get it. (Never really understood it back when I was in my 20s either.) Unless you are racing, what is the big deal with speed? I'm looking for a new bike and all I hear and read is how much faster I can go with the new ones. Lets see, I can devote maybe 1/2 hour or 1 hour to a ride once or twice a week. So I ride for an hour. Does it really matter if I go 15 miles vs 10 miles? If I do 10 miles on an old inefficient bike and burn XX calories doing so, why is that worse than going 15 miles on a new bike and still burn the same XX calories? One hour outside in the fresh air enjoying myself either way. Dont get me wrong, definitely getting a new bike for comfort and the newer gizmos, but speed is the least reason for it yet the first the dealers bring up to me. They can see they are not talking to a 21 year old macho-comacho type rider. Am I all alone in this or are any other members of this forum in the same frame of mind?
We just had one of 'these' threads. I believe it was put out of its misery a day or so ago. Good thing.
Old 08-06-17, 08:07 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I don't get it. (Never really understood it back when I was in my 20s either.) Unless you are racing, what is the big deal with speed?......
For myself, being able to ride a distance I have chosen to accomplish or a speed I have chosen to attain or maintain makes me feel good.
Old 08-06-17, 08:09 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Sounds like the OP is self-conscious about his/her image, and is looking for justification to buy a bike that doesn't meet the advertised image of a modern rider. If he/she is not, then go ahead and buy that steel-framed touring bike with the 700x35 tires and longer chainstays, or that adventure bike with 2"-wide tires and flat bar handlebars. Buy what you're comfortable riding, what you're comfortable maintaining, so that you'll get out and ride on a regular basis. (Heck, buy two bikes if you ride in two different conditions!).
Old 08-06-17, 08:10 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Do you suppose the dachshund wonders, as he madly dig his hole to nowhere, why the greyhound chases a stuffed rabbit?

You can play the wise old hound dog, lazily contemplating the silliness of both from his spot in the shade. But that charade ends when an interesting scent hits the nose.
Old 08-06-17, 08:11 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Well, if speed really were irrelevant, we would all walk everywhere. I had to drive my 5 mile commute to work one day last week and found that it was around 5 minutes slower than by bike. Certainly, part of the appeal is that it is the fastest way downtown.
Old 08-06-17, 08:41 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
More fast is more fun. And if you do decide to push your limits back, by training with greater effort for example or more miles at higher speeds, then those "faster" bikes really do work better for that. If you're happy riding 10-15 miles a week at moderate or low effort on the other hand, the fast road bike will be a hindrance.
Old 08-06-17, 09:04 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
i don't get it. (never really understood it back when i was in my 20s either.) unless you are (this is boring already)..., what is the big deal with (fill in the blank)? I'm looking for a new (fill in the blank) and all i hear and read is how much (fill in the blank) i can go with the new ones. Lets see, i can devote maybe 1/2 hour or 1 hour to a (whatever) once or twice a week. So i (whatever) for an hour. Does it really matter if i go 15 miles vs 10 miles? If i do 10 miles on an old (any object will do) and burn xx calories doing so, why is that worse than going 15 miles on a new (fill in the blank) and still burn the same xx calories? One hour outside in the fresh air enjoying myself either way. Dont get me wrong, definitely getting a ... (readers losing all interest now).... (time to scan some other thread)...

fify
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-06-17, 09:17 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Faster is funner.
Old 08-06-17, 09:28 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
If part of your plan for the use of the new bike is, as you say, burning XX calories, be aware that casual cycling burns fewer calories than casual walking. For your plan of riding maybe 1/2 hour or 1 hour once or twice a week, you're likely to be better off doing a brisk walk.
Old 08-06-17, 09:33 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Unlike the Auto Industry, the bicycle industry has never been able to convince anyone that a new vehicle will help you get laid more often. So it basically is all that is left.
This!
Old 08-06-17, 09:38 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Same reason people climb mountains - "because it is there." Simply human nature to challenge ourselves. Move forward or die and all that.
Old 08-06-17, 09:50 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
This is the key to me! If you're only going to ride a bicycle for 30 to 60 minutes a week - then he's right - it doesn't matter whether its an old 40-lb cruiser from the 60s, or a new $1800 road bike, or even an old Spyder bike with the hi-rise handlebars and a banana seat.

At that point - 30 to 60 minutes a week - you are riding for enjoyment only - so it's whatever floats your boat. But he's right - if you're only riding 45 minutes a week, speed doesn't matter! The only thing that matters at this point is - safety, and having a good time.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
If part of your plan for the use of the new bike is, as you say, burning XX calories, be aware that casual cycling burns fewer calories than casual walking. For your plan of riding maybe 1/2 hour or 1 hour once or twice a week, you're likely to be better off doing a brisk walk.
Old 08-06-17, 10:15 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I don't get it.
People use and sometimes enjoy riding bicycles for a variety of reasons/purposes.

One of these is Cycling, which is an Olympic, professional and local amateur sport in several disciplines.
As in any sport there is competition, in Cycling speed is the essential currency and developing it crucial.
For the last century or so Cycling has evolved a culture in organized clubs and by individual enthusiasts to build the endurance, power, speed, bike handling skills and group etiquette necessary to participate in the sport.
You might see Cyclists on your local routes and on this sub-forum who are involved in the sport and are working to develop just those skills.

Other people out riding their bikes and posting in this sub-forum are doing something else perhaps, and possibly enjoying that as well.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera
Old 08-06-17, 10:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
So I can get home faster to change my Depends and get a nap before Lawrence Welk comes on.
Old 08-06-17, 10:44 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
What it is:

Old 08-06-17, 10:57 AM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Uh-oh, now you've gone and done it. Your point of view is likely not to be very appreciated.
No, not everyone has a need for speed. So just enjoy your bike, whatever it may be no matter how fast or slow you may go.
Old 08-06-17, 11:05 AM
dandak

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!!!! What a forum. Wow!!! One question I wanted answered...wow!! Why every salesman touts the speed angle at me when they see I'm mid 50s? Why? I'm concerned about comfort and I'm told screw that....you want SPEED. I'm concerned about perhaps overly light components breaking and I wind up with another broken vertebrae (have 2 already) or blown out disc (have 3 already). And I'm told screw that, you want SPEED. So I ask why is that the all important factor for the OVER 50 CROWD. I didn't ask it in the general crowd because I know how I was at 20 or 30 or 40. I asked it here. And the replies? Well, lets see. I'm accused of being a troll. I'm accused of typing posts that were in 'misery' before. I'm accused of being self conscious of my image (if you would see me you would be assured I don't give a hoot what I look like) or cheap (not wanting to buy new equipment). And of course the Lawrence Welk attack from an "Ironman expert'!! I guess I now know the answer...the bike world is still full of the ego crowd of "if you cant beat me on the road I have no use for you" which I did run into in my earlier years, and if I DID beat them on the road they were ticked off and jealous and had no use for me anyway. I often wondered what happened to those people that are never happy.....I think I now know.
As for the 1 or 2 rides a week, my mother is 92 year old with health issues. As a primary care giver I drive the hour south to her house and spend 4 days of the week taking care of her. Im actually lucky at this point I can get out 2 times a week with a spare hour or so. Must be nice for those of you who can devote several hours a day doing something for yourself. Was hoping, now that I retired, to really get back in to this and figured this forum was the place to learn all that has changed in the last few decades so that when the cash is outlayed for a new bike I would know what Im after.
To those who answered with respect I thank you and appreciate it. But I think Ive learned enough from the +50 crowd here.

Last edited by dandak; 08-06-17 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-06-17, 11:17 AM
atitagain

Bikes: caad 8 c'dale , trek madone 5.2

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it's getting ugly now
Old 08-06-17, 11:19 AM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow!!!! What a forum. Wow!!! One question I wanted answered...wow!! Why every salesman touts the speed angle at me when they see I'm mid 50s? Why? I'm concerned about comfort and I'm told screw that....you want SPEED. I'm concerned about perhaps overly light components breaking and I wind up with another broken vertebrae (have 2 already) or blown out disc (have 3 already). And I'm told screw that, you want SPEED. So I ask why is that the all important factor for the OVER 50 CROWD. I didn't ask it in the general crowd because I know how I was at 20 or 30 or 40. I asked it here. And the replies? Well, lets see. I'm accused of being a troll. I'm accused of typing posts that were in 'misery' before. I'm accused of being self conscious of my image (if you would see me you would be assured I don't give a hoot what I look like) or cheap (not wanting to buy new equipment). And of course the Lawrence Welk attack from an "Ironman expert'!! I guess I now know the answer...the bike world is still full of the ego crowd of "if you cant beat me on the road I have no use for you" which I did run into in my earlier years, and if I DID beat them on the road they were ticked off and jealous and had no use for me anyway. I often wondered what happened to those people that are never happy.....I think I now know.
To those who answered with respect I thank you and appreciate it. But I think Ive learned enough from the +50 crowd here.
Having very recently experienced the same kind of responses here, I figured this is what was going to happen to you here. Yes, you were going to be judged, your motives were going to be judged. That's just the way it is here. When you question the need to go fast, you've touched a raw nerve and people seem to get defensive about your even raising the question. Sorry you have had to go through the same kind of "stuff" that I did.
Old 08-06-17, 11:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Plenty of How fast are you ? or my fastest speed down hill is... threads , hamster wheelers .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.