Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fairdale GoodShip Any Thoughts/Experience? What about the Drawnright Tubeset?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fairdale GoodShip Any Thoughts/Experience? What about the Drawnright Tubeset?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 07:45 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Could be. Tange Prestige tubing was heat-treated Champion tubing, much as Reynolds 753 tubing was heat treated 531 tubing. Prestige tubing was available in quite a few wall thicknesses and diameters, so it's difficult to say how closely it would resemble the tubing Fairdale uses.
I doubt there was any Prestige as large diameter as the Drawnright, and definitely none with integrated headset cups.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Re: seamed versus seamless tubing. In the dim, dark past, seamed tubing was regarded with some derision, but that shouldn't be the case any more. Since the mid 1980s, seamed tubing for bicycle frames has been cold-drawn after rolling and welding the tube to obliterate the seam, resulting in a tube indistinguishable from seamless tubing but less expensive to manufacture.
It wasn't that dim, dark, or long ago; I had a new Lotus road bike with seamed Tange Infinity tubes in the mid '80s. That's 1980s!
Old 12-10-17, 07:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickolassc
Who really knows how good their tubing is? All I have to go on is the ride, which I wasn't happy with and so far I'm the only one here who has stated they've actually owned and ridden a Fairdale product. Where can I find more info beyond vague marketing fluff on their tubing such as tensile strength, butted section lengths and thicknesses? I can find all that for Tange and Reynolds tubing.

OP should still get one, at the sale prices on their website, they are a great deal.
You've not ridden the Drawnright tubeset, you've not ridden a Goodship. You have no experience with Fairdale in question. My kid has a Giant 24" wheeled MTB; if, by your reasoning, that qualifies me to speak on the quality of a TCR Advanced SL frameset, drop me a PM as I have a lot of great stuff to sell you.
Old 12-10-17, 11:39 PM
mowyang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some text pulled from Mike Varley's blog:

Say, do you know how that tube in your bike frame was made?
"In one of the final steps, the seam is welded closed, all while the tube is being pulled through at a rapid pace. The fresh weld is then trimmed leaving very clean outer surface . . . After the raw tube is worked, butted, swaged…the seam is virtually invisible and probably stronger than the rest of the tube."

Last edited by mowyang; 12-11-17 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-11-17, 12:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Nothing wrong with having two similar bikes set up to be quite different. Makes getting the same fit easy. With two bikes, one can have racks all the time and perhaps a lock on a bracket and fenders. Then when you want to ride light and fast, you just grab the other bike.

Ben
Old 12-11-17, 10:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by mowyang
Some text pulled from Mike Varley's blog:

Say, do you know how that tube in your bike frame was made?
"In one of the final steps, the seam is welded closed, all while the tube is being pulled through at a rapid pace. The fresh weld is then trimmed leaving very clean outer surface . . . After the raw tube is worked, butted, swaged…the seam is virtually invisible and probably stronger than the rest of the tube."
Thanks! Thats interesting as all the heat treated tubing Ive seen in person and on the internet has been seamless tubing. Didnt know thats done with seamed tubing too.
Old 12-11-17, 12:25 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
all this banter and nobody who's actually ridden a Goodship? sadface.

(partially because they're on my wishlist too)
Old 12-11-17, 01:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
It wasn't that dim, dark, or long ago; I had a new Lotus road bike with seamed Tange Infinity tubes in the mid '80s. That's 1980s!
There's nothing wrong with Tange Infinity tubing. It was seamed, but cold-drawn as I described after rolling and welding. I've not brazed any frames with Infinity tubing, but have done plenty with True-Temper tubing, which was also a cold-drawn, seamed tube.
Old 12-12-17, 03:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Again, if you don't have some reason to assert that their tubeset is not custom drawn and butted as they claim, you shouldn't say it is not.

I think you're confused, honestly, and want a reason to resent Fairdale. That others have custom spec'd tubesets takes nothing away from Fairdale, and they don't act like they're the only ones to have, or ever have had, custom drawn tubes. They don't use the word "unique," that's your interpretation, and you're conflating the result (i.e. the tubeset resulting from their specified parameters being unique to them) and the process (i.e. the fact of having custom drawn tubes).

They have a whole page dedicated to why they feel having a custom drawn tubeset is an advantage; I doubt any of that was over your head, so what is your complaint? You don't like that they advertise the fact they spec'd their own tubeset?

If your point is that having a custom tubeset is no better than any other tubeset, say that. If your point is that having a custom drawn tubeset does not make a bike necessarily any better than one which does not have a custom drawn tubeset then say that.

Do not say that Fairdale's claim to have a custom tubeset is false when you do not have evidence that it isn't. That's wrong.
At the risk of poking the bear while stirring the hornets nest all while opening a can of worms and falling down the rabbit hole…

-I confirmed Fairdale’s Goodship tubing is the same butting gauge for all sizes. Whether you get the smallest frame or the largest, the gauge of the tubing is the same. So they don’t make a thinner tube for a smaller bike or vice versa for a larger bike.
-Fairdale does use tubing that is butted to match the frame size, which is what I mentioned in an earlier post. It makes sense- a smaller frame shouldn’t use the same butted length tubing as a larger frame with longer tubes. The butting lengths should be proportionate to the tubing length.
-Fairdale does what I said many other companies have done and do- custom butt the tubes to match the frame size. Its great that they do it and its worth discussing on their site since it isnt done by all brands, it separates them in some way(and having differentiation helps sell more, which is their goal).

Contrary to your thoughts- I am not confused and I do not want to resent Fairdale(what does that even mean?). I actually like Fairdale’s website and products.
All I have said is that Fairdale’s marketing highlights the tubing process as a selling point, and while it is just that(a selling point), it also isnt something unique or that separates them from many other brands since others do the same. I am not taking away from Fairdale, I am not complimenting others, I am not resentful of any brands(seriously, how would I be resentful of a brand?), and I am not even doing what the young kids call ‘throwing shade’. I get to say that Fairdale’s marketing highlights a process that other companies also use without being resentful of the brand. I mentioned others also use custom butted tubing because when someone is looking at that marketing material, it can seem like the process is unique to Fairdale and it sets Fairdale apart, so I mentioned it to help people know that while the process is a good one, others do it too which helps expand the potential options when buying.

I genuinely like the look of the Goodship. I like the look of AllCity bikes too. I have a thing for steel frame carbon fork bikes, apparently. Pretty sure the steel frame I build this winter will have an alternative carbon fork because I like the idea of mixing the two so much.

I posted this to hopefully clarify the 'Drawnright' tubing confusion and confirm what it is as well as what it isnt so future readers, if they make it this far into the thread, know for sure what it means.
Old 12-12-17, 08:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
What you said is:

You're not only calling them liars, and I think you should have some substantive reason for doing so. Your generalized cynicism seems, to me, to stem from some confusion about terms and process, rather than reality.
As usual you believe everything you read regarding steel frames. His take on the marketing spiel was dead on.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-20-18, 07:43 AM
bmwt

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can contribute a small bit of real world info. I've worked with a customer (Jan 2018) who like me has a recently revived interest in steel and has started switching away from aluminum and carbon. The bike shop group I work for doesn't sell high end steel but can sell All City, Surly and Salsa. We haven't really cultivated that market so he worked with a Waterford / Gunnar reseller and bought a new Roadie. He also quickly decided to get a "rain bike" together and bought a Goodship frame and fork. What surprised him was that the Fairdale weighed less than the Gunnar. I believe he was weighing just the bare frame accurately. If he neglected weighing without a headset installed that would have given the Gunnar an advantage - Fairdale has theirs integrated. I asked and he said both come with the same Enve fork. They both were 54cm - so in the middle range. I'm not writing to give specific weights - he didn't share that. But he was having us build-up his Goodship and in talking of the comparison weights and I could tell he was aware of many details concerning component weights . I took interest and bought a Goodship for myself. It will arrive next week. I thought about the pitch on their tubing. To a degree it is generic info on quality steel but the product itself suggests they went to some effort and expense in execution. If the butting profiles are specific to the size then there are longer thin "bellies" and shorter butts. That would contributes to weight savings. The tubing is stated as being Japanese made and heat treated. I assumed Kaisei (formerly Ishiwata) - Tange is no longer made in Japan. Taking Fairdale at their word and realizing that their background is steel with experience coming from well-made BMX products, I tend to think the tubing is top quality. I looked at frame details for other ways weight advantages could contribute. The headtube being profiled for bearing integration could add weight. Breeze-in style dropouts could save some ("Joe's offers twice the rigidity and half the weight of standard dropouts"). Both frames have a similar slope to the top tube. The production Fairdale coming out lighter than a specialty Gunnar suggests optimized tubing. That's all that could be reasonably assumed. Also worth noting - as of Jan 2018 there are some very good prices on the Fairdale.
Old 02-19-18, 03:07 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I own a Fairdale Goodship that I build up with SRAM eTap, and it is by FAR my favorite road bike to date. For some context, I've been riding road bikes since the late 1980's and have owned/ridden every frame material except titanium.....although my next bike, bank account notwithstanding, will be a Firefly titanium build, but anyway - the Goodship is a diamond in the rough.

The Fairdale is, for me, the perfect balance of comfort, stiffness, feel, handling and speed. My 52cm frame weighed in a 3lbs on the dot, which is not bad for a steel frame - for the weight weenies, my complete bike weight is a bit under 17lbs, which I'm happy with. I have ridden other steel bikes that have a little more "plush" feel to them, but those frames have been significantly heavier and less stiff where I want them to be. The Fairdale basically solves all that, at a price point that is basically impossible to beat. It feels worlds better than any carbon frame I've ever owned or ridden, and it handles like a dream. My full build is as follows:

52cm Goodship
SRAM eTap
SRAM Red crankset (52/36)
Garmin Vector 2 pedals
Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL wheels (although will swap them out with Enve 3.4's or Easton EA90 SLX tubeless, depending what I want for the ride)
Shimano 11-34 or SRAM Red 11-32 cassette (depending on the wheels I'm using)
KMC X11SL chain (waxed chain with Molten Speed Wax)
Shimano Ultegra 6800 brake calipers (that's how the whole build started actually - had an extra set of brake calipers sitting around, so I decided to build a bike)
Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
Thomson X2 100mm stem
Ritchey WCS carbon aero handlebars (didn't want aero, but that's all that was available)
Fizik bartape
Specialized Rib Cage 2 bottle cages
K-Edge chain catcher
Kogel ceramic derailleur pulleys
Hope seat clamp
Chris King bottom bracket (non ceramic)
Chris King headset spacers
Fizik Antares VSX saddle

This bike ticks all the boxes - reasonably light, comfortable as hell for hours in the saddle, feels fast, doesn't have the "numb/dead/****ty" road feel of carbon, climbs and sprints very well and handles like a dream. The only thing I don't like about it is the water bottle mounting - they sit a bit high on my fame, but whenever I get around to it I'll get some Wolf Tooth brackets to lower the bottles in the frame, so not really a big deal. Kinda wish the rear brake cable was internally routed in the top tube, but again, extremely minor semantics. This bike is a winner.
Old 02-19-18, 05:26 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
I own a Fairdale Goodship that I build up with SRAM eTap, and it is by FAR my favorite road bike to date. For some context, I've been riding road bikes since the late 1980's and have owned/ridden every frame material except titanium.....although my next bike, bank account notwithstanding, will be a Firefly titanium build, but anyway - the Goodship is a diamond in the rough.

The Fairdale is, for me, the perfect balance of comfort, stiffness, feel, handling and speed. My 52cm frame weighed in a 3lbs on the dot, which is not bad for a steel frame - for the weight weenies, my complete bike weight is a bit under 17lbs, which I'm happy with. I have ridden other steel bikes that have a little more "plush" feel to them, but those frames have been significantly heavier and less stiff where I want them to be. The Fairdale basically solves all that, at a price point that is basically impossible to beat. It feels worlds better than any carbon frame I've ever owned or ridden, and it handles like a dream. My full build is as follows:

52cm Goodship
SRAM eTap
SRAM Red crankset (52/36)
Garmin Vector 2 pedals
Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL wheels (although will swap them out with Enve 3.4's or Easton EA90 SLX tubeless, depending what I want for the ride)
Shimano 11-34 or SRAM Red 11-32 cassette (depending on the wheels I'm using)
KMC X11SL chain (waxed chain with Molten Speed Wax)
Shimano Ultegra 6800 brake calipers (that's how the whole build started actually - had an extra set of brake calipers sitting around, so I decided to build a bike)
Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
Thomson X2 100mm stem
Ritchey WCS carbon aero handlebars (didn't want aero, but that's all that was available)
Fizik bartape
Specialized Rib Cage 2 bottle cages
K-Edge chain catcher
Kogel ceramic derailleur pulleys
Hope seat clamp
Chris King bottom bracket (non ceramic)
Chris King headset spacers
Fizik Antares VSX saddle

This bike ticks all the boxes - reasonably light, comfortable as hell for hours in the saddle, feels fast, doesn't have the "numb/dead/****ty" road feel of carbon, climbs and sprints very well and handles like a dream. The only thing I don't like about it is the water bottle mounting - they sit a bit high on my fame, but whenever I get around to it I'll get some Wolf Tooth brackets to lower the bottles in the frame, so not really a big deal. Kinda wish the rear brake cable was internally routed in the top tube, but again, extremely minor semantics. This bike is a winner.

Pics please.
Old 02-20-18, 10:15 AM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Pics please.
I'll get some this week - gotta clean it first
Old 04-08-18, 05:39 PM
4130CM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a 2017 Goodship for a little over a year. I also have a Cannondale CAAD10 and a Foundry Chilkoot (titanium). If I were starting over and buying just one road bike out of the 3, I would choose Goodship. I like the Chilkoot about the same but it's just not worth the extra $$$. I built it with Ultegra groupset, HED Belgium rims and 25mm GP4000 tires. On the wide Belgium rims, the 25mm tires look more like 28. It looks like there's enough clearance for 28s. I think sub$1000 is a good value for a steel frameset that comes with Enve forks.
Old 08-05-18, 02:24 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTrax
I am in my 50s and have been biking for about 1.5 years - I ride about 3-4 times a week during the longer days and this time a year try to get in 1-2 rides outside. I spin about 2 times a week during the summer and 3-4 times a week now when I cannot ride outside as much.

I have two bikes - a Salsa Casserole and a Black Mountain Cycles (BMC) Road Bike. The BMC Road bike is what I think they call Endurance Road bikes. I have the BMC Road set up with 105 11 speed, a rear rack and small rack bag, and 32mm Panaracer Gravel King SK (which I love). I ride my BMC most all the time. Usually 30-35 miles at between 13-15 mph. I know that does not sound that fast but when I started out 1.5 years ago I was a 10mph guy so my speed and fitness is coming up. Not really trying to go faster just riding for fun and fitness and am finding I just go faster.

With that background. I would like to get a more aggressive/faster bike setup. I love my BMC setup with the rear rack and wider tires - it is great for the 13mph social club rides. It is really comfortable to ride and the frame seems to suck up the vibration - of course it is on 32mm tire too.

I really like steel frames and see no need to go to carbon - I know about them and know plenty of folks riding them - but they just don't interest me. I really like and am comfortable with a steel frame.

I was thinking of getting a Fairdale Goodship. It looks decently more aggressive than my BMC looking at the geometry. It would have a carbon fork and I believe can take only up to a 28mm tire. Clearly no a full on race bike by any stretch.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the Fairdale Goodship - riding or at least taking a hard look at it?

Any experience with Fairdale in general?

Also Fairdale says they are using a seamless drawn right tube set which is 4130 with a heat treated. Is that basically equal to a Tange Prestige steel?

Sure would appreciate your thoughts?
Kind of late. But I bought the Fairdale Goodship with 11sp SRAM Force a few months ago on sale.
But for $1200/$1300,I think it was a great deal.

So not a lot of miles yet. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and about 215 and bought the 60 cm.Really like the geometry and slopping TT for fit for me.
Do not know much about the frame.But I looked it over and I'm very impressed. I'll have to ask the LBS that I bought it at what they think about the bike, as they mostly sell specialized.

The bike is very light.A little over 18 lbs before I put the pedals on.I'm just going to upgrade the saddle,seat post and tires and that is it.
Besides the stock saddle,the bike rides great.First time using sram.

I see you own a BMC, I really want one,but keep find good deals on complete bikes.
So I wait,but I'm thinking about getting the road + for a all around bike.
Besides the Goodship,Jamis Quest and I'm sure a few others are make a similar steel road bikes without going custom.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 08-05-18 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-05-18, 09:08 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
Kind of late. But I bought the Fairdale Goodship with 11sp SRAM Force a few months ago on sale.
But for $1200/$1300,I think it was a great deal.

So not a lot of miles yet. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and about 215 and bought the 60 cm.Really like the geometry and slopping TT for fit for me.
Do not know much about the frame.But I looked it over and I'm very impressed. I'll have to ask the LBS that I bought it at what they think about the bike, as they mostly sell specialized.

The bike is very light.A little over 18 lbs before I put the pedals on.I'm just going to upgrade the saddle,seat post and tires and that is it.
Besides the stock saddle,the bike rides great.First time using sram.

I see you own a BMC, I really want one,but keep find good deals on complete bikes.
So I wait,but I'm thinking about getting the road + for a all around bike.
Besides the Goodship,Jamis Quest and I'm sure a few others are make a similar steel road bikes without going custom.
Good info.
I keep wanting to pull the trigger on one and have only held out so far because I would want the Shimano equipped one in surf blue and that is only a year old so no huge discount yet.
I am just under 6’ 2” and based upon the geometry I would also be leaning towards the 60 cm
Old 08-05-18, 12:53 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I'm not sure the 56 was ever available at $1299 on discount, but then again, i'm probably fortunate it wasn't given the ridiculous bargain it represents at that price. A complete SRAM Force groupset alone is half of that price combined with an $400 ENve Fork and there's no doubt it's a steal.
Old 08-13-19, 11:39 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

a zombie lives!

I'm between 6'2" and 6'3" and bought a 58cm electric blue Goodship frameset over the winter, and built it up this spring. It's a great ride -- quick handling and comfortable all day. If they have your size left, it's worth it; definitely punches above its weight...
Likes For superdex:
Old 08-13-19, 11:50 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

a pic for reference (100mm stem)

Likes For superdex:
Old 08-16-19, 10:17 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
a pic for reference (100mm stem)

It liiiiives!!!!

I've heard nothing but good things about Fairdale. Definitely on my shortlist for whatever.
Old 08-16-20, 05:43 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead lol. So I racked up nearly 18,000 miles on my Goodship - it served me extremely well (mine weighed in at 17 lbs BTW).....solid sprinter, handled like a dream, not absurdly heavy for a steel bike, comfortable for long rides, etc....but I crashed into a metal guardrail a few weeks ago and dented/creased the frame. Sadly, Fairdale has discontinued the Goodship for some reason, but I am currently building up a new Emonda ALR as a replacement. Sad to see it go (for now, until I seriously look into frame repair/repaint perhaps next year), but looking forward to the new build with 95% of my existing parts lol. Just swapping out the carbon handlebars (Ritchey WCS Streem) and aluminum stem (Thomson X2) for obvious reasons.