Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rossin Paint job suggestions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 02:45 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts

Anybody got some paint suggestions; it will be orange of some sort if I don't get any thing from the "gallery". I'm not into painting bikes, but this one is going to need it! I'm open to anything my wallet can handle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rossin1.jpg (1.11 MB, 212 views)
Old 08-29-19, 03:30 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Rossin rainbow?

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/rossin-slx-424

Otherwise just a pearl white with black and red decals.
Old 08-29-19, 09:28 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Pearl White

Originally Posted by P!N20
Rossin rainbow?

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/rossin-slx-424

Otherwise just a pearl white with black and red decals.
Thanks P!N,
I determined that this is an "SL" frame; I checked that rainbow, very nice; but would not want to copy unless of the same model as that example (I'm assuming that was an original paint job). I do like the pearl white suggestion; subtle and understated (except up close), makes the frame the main feature while giving it a nice clean look. Also, I have no "white" frames/bikes so a good addition to the pallette. I have a black Galli crankset, black Modolo Speedy set, Campy Super derailleurs that might go very well with that scheme keeping it fairly period correct. You've already got me picturing the completed bike. Now thinking about it I have a nice GPM aero post in black, but I can't remember the size. You're first poster on this and I would have no problem with going that route. I might go with black lugs/stay caps/BB shell since you mentioned the black/red decals; add red letters on the caps and crown logo; we're done! I don't consider any of the black (parts or paint) mandatory; just thinking out loud. That might be hard to beat. Also, not too bad for cost compared to the rainbow or fade jobs. I knew that I didn't want the "Italian Flag" fade job again. Your idea would give it more of a 70's or earlier look, which I am somewhat partial to.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 08-29-19, 07:35 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Pearl white with red decals and Suttle black components would be my choice. Original colour is eye catching and enjoyed it on my Schwinn Tempo.
Old 08-29-19, 11:22 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26421 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...you can do this with white primer, metallic silver, old avocado bags, and clear coat. It's not as hard as it looks.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-30-19, 12:14 AM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
i must say the fish net white any silver looks dang nice!
Old 08-30-19, 02:03 AM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
This is my favourite Rossin paint job, I have a boat load of original Rossin paint idea pictures. If this is no wear near what your looking for let me know and I will throw up some other options.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 08-30-19, 06:35 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Fishnet/Crosshatching

Nice job on the Atala, 3alarmer; interesting method, and you have a good excuse to eat a lot of avocadoes. I hadn't thought too much about those styles since my Nuovo Mexico has that same look as the Rossin example; most likely from the same paint shop. That Atala "bag" method does provide for a nice random pattern. I think if I did that myself, I would have to do a few test runs first, maybe also trying different size netting. You have certainly given me an idea as to how to do a saddle for the Colnago since I'd like it to blend with the frame design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190830_084601.jpg (1.74 MB, 158 views)

Last edited by HPL; 08-30-19 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 08:20 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by m_sasso
This is my favourite Rossin paint job, I have a boat load of original Rossin paint idea pictures. If this is nowhere near what your looking for let me know and I will throw up some other options.
I would greatly appreciate any other ideas you might offer. I'm trying to go a little different than what I have on other bikes. I do like the Rossin look on that frame, but as you can see, it is similar to my Mexico. I am planning on selling that bike in the future (due to size, looking for smaller frame), but for now it's staying put. The other Nuovo Mexicos have similar designs just in different colors.

Last edited by HPL; 08-30-19 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 09:30 AM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts

Originally Posted by HPL
TG

I would greatly appreciate any other ideas you might offer. I'm trying to go a little different than what I have on other bikes. I do like the Rossin look on that frame, but as you can see, it is similar to my Mexico. I am planning on selling that bike in the future (due to size, looking for smaller frame), but for now it's staying put. The other Nuovo Mexicos have similar designs just in different co
lors.

Last edited by m_sasso; 08-30-19 at 09:44 AM.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 09-06-19, 01:28 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Thanks for all the suggestions; and the winner is....

I appreciate all who took some time out to give suggestions, comments, and techniques. Much thought was given to why and what I am choosing to do with this frame; colors, designs, decals, and components. Not all is set in concrete, but the main issue is; that being paint color.

I am going with an opalescent pearl white as originally suggested by P!N20. There will be red lugs and blue lugs, caps (one color to the front, and one to the back; not decided on which will be which yet) due to the fact that I have a new pair of Record clincher rims (one blue and one red, again don't know which will be laced front or back). Essentially, a red, white and blue frame; and I'm going to do the red and blue in an opalescent manner to match up with the primary white. Name and logo markings will be the opposing color (red or blue) to the surrounding color (ex. red caps with blue lettering or vice versa). If I can find and/or fabricate the bar wrap will be red, white and blue, or I have some leather that might be used. I have sets of both red and blue LOOK pedals to go with the paint scheme depending on what the bottom bracket shell color ends up being. At this time I'm going with an 80's Campy: Super Record drive train, Record High Flange hubs, Victory brake levers/calipers, and Bar end shifters with stainless steel cable housings all around. White perforated saddle ( San Marco Rolls or Selle Italia, which ever is in best condition). Tires unknown. I do have a red Maillard Helicomatic front hub so it might get put in the mix, but I'd like the hubs to match finish wise. Decal style and color is yet to be determined as I need to see what is available.

A separate thanks to 3alarmer, as I am going to use your technique to paint a saddle to match the Nuovo Mexico frame and make that bike near 100% to my liking (and hopefully others); I still have a couple of tweaks to go on that one for selling purposes.

Thanks again to all; this will probably not be the only frame that I ask for this type of help with. There are still a dozen under wraps in the "skunk works" shed.

Last edited by HPL; 09-15-19 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 07:26 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
I had an all black Rossin with a chromed fork and drive side chain stay. It had the earlier white letter decals and was gorgeous! It was an awesome ride and I wish I still had it!
Old 09-07-19, 05:43 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by Boxkite
I had an all black Rossin with a chromed fork and drive side chain stay. It had the earlier white letter decals and was gorgeous! It was an awesome ride and I wish I still had it!
Being that this is my first Rossin frame I wanted to do it right, I do like black also, but being that I have 3 black rides completed (Colnago Asso, Tommasini Prestige, and Raleigh Professional) I wanted to go a different route so white it will be. Too bad you didn't keep the Rossin, I still have my first bike, '75 Colnago Super.
Old 09-12-19, 08:53 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts

Here's a few.
Old 09-18-19, 11:41 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Here's a few.
Thanks for the examples. I might try them on a different frame(s), as I have decided to go with a white paint scheme. I have plenty of projects in the shed waiting for paint jobs.
Old 09-19-19, 06:56 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Thanks for the examples. I might try them on a different frame(s), as I have decided to go with a white paint scheme. I have plenty of projects in the shed waiting for paint jobs.
Maybe a post last-minute look at a completely black one (fishnet ignored for reasons of economy) with yellow-orange decals. I saw one in reality. Very suggestive. The decal-set is also easy to obtain.
Old 09-19-19, 12:39 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 452 Posts
Unintended Consequences

Originally Posted by Old Fireleg
Maybe a post last-minute look at a completely black one (fishnet ignored for reasons of economy) with yellow-orange decals. I saw one in reality. Very suggestive. The decal-set is also easy to obtain.
I have been following this thread to glean ideas for a repaint of my recently acquired Ghibli.
This is the seller's CL picture:

As I'm cleaning and disassembling, I'm coming to the conclusion it was originally painted black. From the "shadow" of the decal on the chainstay, I'm pretty certain it was adorned with the same set of decals as the one in your photo. I've sourced the decals on the bay. I doubt I'll ever have the wherewithal to acquire Deltas, so I already procured a pair of later generation Records, which should suffice to stop the Ghibli.

What is the source of the photo you posted? I can't quite make out the watermark. Are there others where you found that one? Is it, was it, your bike?

Thanks for posting the picture. Even though the OP may choose white, I may go with the dark side, if I don't remove everything and go full bare naked frame. An idea I'm mulling is gloss black in the "ripples", and matte for the rest. We shall see what cleaning reveals?

So, all is not for naught; your post served a purpose, at least for me!

Thanks!
Old 09-19-19, 03:35 PM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
I have been following this thread to glean ideas for a repaint of my recently acquired Ghibli.
This is the seller's CL picture:

As I'm cleaning and disassembling, I'm coming to the conclusion it was originally painted black. From the "shadow" of the decal on the chainstay, I'm pretty certain it was adorned with the same set of decals as the one in your photo. I've sourced the decals on the bay. I doubt I'll ever have the wherewithal to acquire Deltas, so I already procured a pair of later generation Records, which should suffice to stop the Ghibli.

What is the source of the photo you posted? I can't quite make out the watermark. Are there others where you found that one? Is it, was it, your bike?

Thanks for posting the picture. Even though the OP may choose white, I may go with the dark side, if I don't remove everything and go full bare naked frame. An idea I'm mulling is gloss black in the "ripples", and matte for the rest. We shall see what cleaning reveals?

So, all is not for naught; your post served a purpose, at least for me!

Thanks!
Hi,

here is the link with more detailed photos and two other Rossins:

https://premium-cycling.com/product-...-classic-bike/

I hope we can admire the end result on C&V!
Old 09-19-19, 06:59 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
HPL,
Are there cable bosses on that frame? before any painting I would make sure I had all frame work done.
I think the best looking paint job of the early 80's I saw was the Metal-flake Pink with a set of yellow decals. I have tried to get another bike done in that concept, but have yet to find a painter who would tackle the job. I'm still on the hunt to do that color scheme again. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 09-19-19 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-20-19, 12:17 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by Old Fireleg
Hi "Fireleg",
I love black on bikes also, my favorite combination is black and orange or vice versa; but I have 3 racers in black dress, and 3 old black Raleighs and I had to lighten the mood a bit. Still my favorite color other than orange. My Colnago is black with some of their weird yellow paint scheme and certainly turns a head or two. Black and chrome Raleigh Pro is another great looker; has no decals or other highlights to distract from the contrast of the two.

Last edited by HPL; 09-20-19 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-20-19, 12:36 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
HPL,
Are there cable bosses on that frame? before any painting I would make sure I had all frame work done.
I think the best looking paint job of the early 80's I saw was the Metal-flake Pink with a set of yellow decals. I have tried to get another bike done in that concept, but have yet to find a painter who would tackle the job. I'm still on the hunt to do that color scheme again. Smiles, MH
Hi "Mad",
It seems that someone had ground/cut-off the brake cable guides; why, I don't know. I think it had been suggested that someone might have been converting it into a fixie before giving up on it; who knows. It's got through the BB shift cable routing so no issues there. I am going with Clamp-on TT guides, it will give it a little retro look and a pinch of chrome. I've got to use up some spare parts somewhere; even most of my 70's frames have brazed-on guides. I guess it'll look 60's on top and 80's on the bottom. It will certainly be unlike any other frame I've got. I had thought of making it through the TT routing, but I really don't know what that entails on an assembled frame; figure I'll be putting enough cash into as is without further complicating the issue. Seems odd that a professional painter wouldn't be up to the task for your ,color choice. Right now I'm thinking of doing the work myself on mine since the painter I want to do it is wanting about $600 for my tri-color scheme; I thought that to be a little steep, but I am not in that business, nor have I had one done in multiple colors before. Same painter would do my motorcycle frame for less than half the cost

Last edited by HPL; 11-26-23 at 06:22 PM.