Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Nashbar Road Bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Nashbar Road Bike

Old 09-18-19, 09:26 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Fix that front skewer first.

Then ride.
Old 09-18-19, 10:08 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by RokLenart
How much does it cost to restore something like that?
Restore is a broad word. If you mean tearing it down, replacing or renewing any lube after cleaning the bearings and new cables, if needed, then it's the cost of minor parts or about $50 plus tires if needed. The experience, if you haven't done it before, will be invaluable. When you get into painting a frame and getting decals then, even if you give it a rattle can spray done in a "professional" manor, it'll raise the price an additional $70. I know rattle cans aren't that expensive but all the prep work to get a decent job cost money.
Old 09-19-19, 06:49 AM
roadbikeChris

Bikes: Fuji Tahoe, Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronsonic

Then ride.

Please elaborate..
Old 09-19-19, 08:06 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
The skewer release is on the wrong side and closing the wrong direction. Basically an accident waiting to happen. Roger
Old 09-19-19, 08:20 AM
roadbikeChris

Originally Posted by rhenning
The skewer release is on the wrong side and closing the wrong direction. Basically an accident waiting to happen. Roger

That thing would not tighten. I had to loosen by a few revolutions to secure it. Thanks
Old 09-19-19, 11:22 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronsonic

Then ride.
ABSOLUTELY!!! The lever is is the "OPEN" position which can only mean the the lever was used like a wrench to tighten the nut rather than the cam action as designed. Can't imagine mounting the wheel this way!!! Additionally, (and it might be just me but) I ALWAYS have the cam levers on the left hand side of the bike. I'm pretty sure that is the way they are designed to be used. When positioned on the "drive side" of the bike, there would be a tendency / possibility for something to catch the lever and release the cam! Losing a front wheel while riding never results in a good outcome.
I can't tell for sure from the photo but I'm wondering if that top mount SunTour friction shifter on the down tube is the "Symmetric" model? Interesting concept. I have one on a bike of mine of a similar vintage. I don't believe that I have it set up properly (yet) but I'm working on it.
BTW, I too, have a Nashbar bike, a Terra XT mountain bike that I picked up for $50 back in the early 90s. I keep it around for guests that may want to go for a bike ride.
Sovende
Old 09-19-19, 01:52 PM
roadbikeChris

Originally Posted by sovende
ABSOLUTELY!!! The lever is is the "OPEN" position which can only mean the the lever was used like a wrench to tighten the nut rather than the cam action as designed. Can't imagine mounting the wheel this way!!! Additionally, (and it might be just me but) I ALWAYS have the cam levers on the left hand side of the bike. I'm pretty sure that is the way they are designed to be used. When positioned on the "drive side" of the bike, there would be a tendency / possibility for something to catch the lever and release the cam! Losing a front wheel while riding never results in a good outcome.
I can't tell for sure from the photo but I'm wondering if that top mount SunTour friction shifter on the down tube is the "Symmetric" model? Interesting concept. I have one on a bike of mine of a similar vintage. I don't believe that I have it set up properly (yet) but I'm working on it.
BTW, I too, have a Nashbar bike, a Terra XT mountain bike that I picked up for $50 back in the early 90s. I keep it around for guests that may want to go for a bike ride.
Sovende
here is a pic....
Old 09-19-19, 09:16 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Those "Symmetric" shifters are interesting in that they automatically position the front derailleur (when set up properly) to keep the chain from touching the cage as the the rear derailleur moves the chain up or down the cogs on the freewheel! Whatever you do DON'T disassemble it unless you researched the proper reassembly instructions!!! Trust me, I know this from experience. As the old saying goes "good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"!
RE: the non functional "quick release" lever, I would soak that end of the skewer in some sort of "rust solvent" to loosen it up then disassemble it to fully remove the rust that's keeping the cam from functioning properly.
I agree with the others that think that you did well with this purchase. You got a lot of bike for $40! I would resist the urge to modernize it too much. New tires and tubes for sure. The shifter and brake cables should probable get replaced too. Maybe get new pads for the brakes. You will learn a lot if you do it yourself and will be extra proud of the finished product! Once things are back to the original configuration, ride the heck out of it. Learn how to use the friction snifters. Index shifting definitely has advantages but I've found using the friction shifters quite adequate for the riding that I do.
Have fun with your new project bike!
Sovende
Likes For sovende:
Old 09-21-19, 12:49 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Not sure you could do much better for $40, the Nashbar bikes from bitd go under the radar but they were a great value back in the day have fun with it, and +1 on leaving the symetric shifters alone I wish I had lol
Old 09-21-19, 07:24 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
I have their “Tourer” model and it is a favorite ride.
I left everything just as it was built.
Old 09-21-19, 07:25 AM
roadbikeChris

I rode it for the first time yesterday and I gotta say what a smooth ride it was!
Old 09-21-19, 07:28 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Yes! Yes! Yes! These bikes are awesome!
Old 03-06-21, 06:25 AM
cbtuttle
Craig T

Bikes: Gravel, Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar - had one i bought new for racing, burnt in house fire

Originally Posted by roadbikeChris
Tomorrow I will give it a test ride!
Just started looking to see if there is a similar Nashbar I had. I think mine was an '85 because that was when I started moving to racing bikes. I kept mine indoors, and was in great condition, but it was burned.. The teammates at Texas A@M College Station used to give me a hard time because I had only 6 speed cassette and 22 lbs at least heavy. But it my fastest bike ever, it did a fast TT on our 10 mile course, with a Bell helmet (round, white ugly ol thing)

Would you still have the bike? And is it in good condition? I might like to buy it if perhaps you've changed your mind. I would pay several times what you paid. I can't message o here due to < 10 posts.

Craig
Old 03-06-21, 08:03 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
I just finished scanning the March 1985 issue of Bicycling Magazine, and thought that this thread was a good place to share the advertisement for Nashbar bikes....

In retrospect, these seem like a heck of a deal!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-06-21, 09:11 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 280 Posts
I had a Toure MT in absolutely pristine condition.

A size too big, it found a new home last summer.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)