Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

your fave grub and/or grog cycling spots in socal?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 02:51 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts

i know things are a little off and some places may have closed permanently or have changed hours with covid-19 protocols but what is/are your favorite grog and/or grub spot(s)
when you're riding out and about in socal? coffee/donut/pastry places? beer and burgers? tacos? bowls? pizza? noodles? vegan? bbq? sandos? fried fair foods?
whatever and wherever...name it here. is it a destination or is it a can't/shouldn't miss along a busy cycling corridor/path? do you go out of your way to hit it?
is it an occasional guilty pleasure? is it a once a year backup to the backup lunch spot because you can't be bothered to stop crushing a certain climb/segment? is it a place
you hit after your riding partner(s) split(s) off to avoid the absolute shame? is it historic and for good reason? some of these places will be obviously be cyclist-friendly with
big patios and/or easy to maintain visibility of the machine(s). this is also a guy that researched (and rode to) the last remaining two pioneer chicken stands left in a
once, massive franchise so we're not exactly talking fancy dining here.

i'll start with four:

tough for me to ride past the hat...known for their pastrami but have a huge menu. i've hit them in simi valley, greater la (alhambra multiple times) and out near lake elsinore.
not on any of my main routes in socal but seems to satisfy with their ridiculously-sized portions, decidedly not low-cal options and seemingly always
finding me in a state of indecisive weakness for lunch alternatives. did i already say huge menu?

another is lolita's mexican food in the san diego area-multiple locations. i would ride if only to burn off/flush the calories/cholesterol from their refried beans. people swear
by the california burrito or carne asada fries but i go with the #1 combo of the shredded beef tacos (no cotija) or the #5 chicken rolled tacos (guac vs sour cream) and a
small side of the refried beans (comes with some cheddar cheese on top).

yet another is pizza port...a few locations in san diego county (including carlsbad village and ocean beach-san diego) but they've got their southern orange county/san clemente
location on el camino real central to that main drag. fave, can't miss location is the og solana beach location on the coast highway across from the train station. great, own
brews along with usually at least 2-4 killer guest brews on tap. pizza slices are big, medium greasy and heavy on the oregano. their quintessential swami's ipa (west coast style)
is a perfect matchup with two slices of pepperoni. always a ton of cyclists riding past so plenty of opps to critique kits/bikes/positions/form/protocols.

up in the santa ynez valley, have hit the santa ynez billiards & café a few times. ne corner of edison and numancia a short distance north of ca hwy 246 (about a half mile west of
the 246/154 traffic circle). solid draft beers and a decent tri-tip sando. good spot to collect your energy before/after attempting to climb fig mtn and/or escape the valley via the 101,
dirty refugio or the 154.

what are your regular/irregular must-have's/can't misses?

Last edited by diphthong; 02-19-21 at 04:12 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-19-21, 11:08 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I think one of the reasons why I have failed to find anyone to cycle with in 5 years in Los Angeles is the lack of facilities on the road. No place to congregate. There is nothing in the Santa Monica mountains (except for on the PCH), Hollywood Hills or San Gabriel mountains. The Cosmic Cafe at Mt Wilson is always empty and has been closed for over a year now. Baldy Village is too far from my area.

Can barely find water, let alone a place to eat.
Old 02-19-21, 11:14 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Crystal Lake Cafe comes to mind as a destination place in the San Gabriel Mtns.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/crystal-lake-cafe-azusa
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-19-21, 12:10 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Crystal Lake Cafe is not a cyclist hangout. No place is, unlike other spots in the country.
Old 02-19-21, 02:57 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Crystal Lake Cafe is not a cyclist hangout. No place is, unlike other spots in the country.
How about the Mammoth Brewing Company? At least in the summer, that is a roadies and mtn bikers delight. Before the Wuhan Virus, my last trip up after coming back from the June Lake Loop, place was hopping with a lot of the aforementioned as patrons. Bikes parked outside of the patio area. Food was generous and tasty.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 02-19-21 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-19-21, 03:52 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Crystal Lake Cafe, Mt Baldy Lodge, Cosmic Cafe, Cinnamon Productions, Pain Du Monde
Old 02-19-21, 09:44 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Crystal Lake. The climb makes it the best burger ever, even if it's just because the tank is approaching empty at that point.

Proprietor is an interesting character and conversationalist.

And the Baldy Lodge makes for great incentive to keep the pace up since the to die for cinnamon rolls are usually sold out by 10:00
Likes For TGT1:
Old 02-20-21, 07:45 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Through this week of winter storms in TX I have been doing a fair share of CA dreaming.
Thinking of long warm and easy coastal rolls doing my favorite trio activities, eating, drinking and cycling.
Riding to the brew pubs really makes these dreams.
Some of my choices would be Ballast Point, Stone Brewing, Karl Strauss, Pizza Port, Port Brewing Lost Abbey.
So many other good choices and ways to do a nice long pub hop trying to balance the food and beer for the best (and safest possible) riding experience. Maybe a designated draftee and/or support pickup would help
Likes For joesch:
Old 02-21-21, 06:53 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Crooked Duck in Long Beach
Bagels and Brew in Mission Viejo
Bruxie in Orange
Likes For Wulf:
Old 02-21-21, 09:35 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I think one of the reasons why I have failed to find anyone to cycle with in 5 years in Los Angeles is the lack of facilities on the road. No place to congregate. There is nothing in the Santa Monica mountains (except for on the PCH), Hollywood Hills or San Gabriel mountains. The Cosmic Cafe at Mt Wilson is always empty and has been closed for over a year now. Baldy Village is too far from my area.

Can barely find water, let alone a place to eat.
There are places frequented by cyclists (mostly cafes), but yes it seems they mostly meet on the internet or in clubs and then ride together from that. Water is a matter of knowing where to look (mostly public parks and businesses that have a built a reputation).
Old 02-22-21, 01:11 AM
NeedARealBike

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My favorite place was Ruby's at the end of the pier in Seal Beach. Got a photo of it with my film camera a few months before it closed. Moved shortly after. Burned down a couple years later. Never going to get to do that again.

I still remember the police station nearby on the PA telling people to walk the bike. I always parked mine in the bike zoo over looking the parking lot there. Lot's of space, lots of bicycle in summer. Was nice and relaxed riding around there compared to PCH. Even with the busy touristy roads there were plenty of residential backstreets and alleys to go through and slow speed main roads so never too much of an issue.
Old 02-22-21, 02:34 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by Wulf
Crooked Duck in Long Beach
Bagels and Brew in Mission Viejo
Bruxie in Orange
have hit that one 3-4x on rides back to san diego from dtown la. always love riding on south on n. glassell into old town orange immediately after
hitting that particular bruxie across from chapman college.
Old 02-22-21, 06:30 PM
CAT7RDR

^^^^^^Yeah, about three miles before the Crystal Lake Rd turnoff. Drank from it about four times without problems. Will probably bring a filter straw just in case a black bear has a sense of humor and answers the question, "Does a bear $#!^ in the woods?" E-coli and Giardia are no laughing matter.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 02-22-21 at 06:39 PM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-22-21, 07:17 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Some appetizers and gourmet beer, at Stone Brewery in Liberty Station, is always quite enjoyable.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 02-23-21, 12:50 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

wanted to hit the fatburger in redondo beach today but it was a little too early mileagewise in the ride...decided on trying the big ballast point
tasting room/resto on the southern end of long beach, just over the little bridge when the sgrt starts/ends and seal beach but there were like 35-40
people outside waiting for a patio table so no burger for me. held off on grub until i finally got to irvine spectrum area and hit the pf chang's there.
at that point, i was in the mood for their salty hot & sour soup and some spring rolls and it was only about a 5 min wait and they have a
pretty decent-sized patio. the irvine train station is about 1.5 miles away so i've hit it about 3x now before a train trip back home. good bathroom to freshen up in
but not much in the way of close places to lock up the steed and keep a watchful eye. was able to lock up right outside the front door but i couldn't see da bike.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-23-21, 07:36 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
wanted to hit the fatburger in redondo beach today but it was a little too early mileagewise in the ride...decided on trying the big ballast point
tasting room/resto on the southern end of long beach, just over the little bridge when the sgrt starts/ends and seal beach but there were like 35-40
people outside waiting for a patio table so no burger for me. held off on grub until i finally got to irvine spectrum area and hit the pf chang's there.
at that point, i was in the mood for their salty hot & sour soup and some spring rolls and it was only about a 5 min wait and they have a
pretty decent-sized patio. the irvine train station is about 1.5 miles away so i've hit it about 3x now before a train trip back home. good bathroom to freshen up in
but not much in the way of close places to lock up the steed and keep a watchful eye. was able to lock up right outside the front door but i couldn't see da bike.
Some of my old digs as I lived in Redondo back in the 80s.
I like stopping at the https://caltransit.org/about/50-year...ation-network/ because you can take a bike inside and I even take it into the bathroom so I dont need a lock. Nice easy ride from HB on SART.

Last edited by joesch; 02-23-21 at 08:13 AM.
Likes For joesch:
Old 02-23-21, 01:41 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by joesch
Some of my old digs as I lived in Redondo back in the 80s.
I like stopping at the https://caltransit.org/about/50-year...ation-network/ because you can take a bike inside and I even take it into the bathroom so I dont need a lock. Nice easy ride from HB on SART.
me too. love redondo.

that anaheim regional transportation building is impressive and handy.
Old 02-23-21, 10:00 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

hit el barbecue at 25th/market near the sherman heights/golden hill/94 fwy interface (about a half-mile east of the edge of dtown san diego) for a beef brisket sando.
usually get the tri-tip sando but now i'll hafta make a tough decision (or get both on a century ride). place is small but convenient (for me) heading to/from
coronado or near the dtown san diego/balboa park area. no bike rack but you can lock your bike to the sturdy redwood (i think) patio fenceposts. beer selection
minimal (drafts are super cold tho-multiple visits confirm this) but they do have mexican coke.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-23-21 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 08:40 AM
joesch

This place would do well in SoCal https://www.tacosymas.com/ especially on Taco Tuesday when all on menu are $1.99
I had 3 diff fish and 1 brisket all pretty tasty and satisfying after my longest ride in the last few weeks.
Also an impressive selection of salsas
What are the SoCal versions (not Taco Bell
Old 02-25-21, 03:12 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by joesch
This place would do well in SoCal https://www.tacosymas.com/ especially on Taco Tuesday when all on menu are $1.99
I had 3 diff fish and 1 brisket all pretty tasty and satisfying after my longest ride in the last few weeks.
Also an impressive selection of salsas
What are the SoCal versions (not Taco Bell
the taco seems to be our preferred conduit of foodstuff consumption here in socal. seems like nearly every little neighborhood has at least one solid choice
if not more. you've got the street vendors, the old-school places and the newer places trying to maintain the balance between the tried/true and crazy newer
offerings. honestly, can't remember the last time i had a taco in socal that left me meh. it all seems to be pretty good and everyone seems to have their
multiple go-to's...not just one place. i will say it's harder to find a great pollo taco than carne asada, adobada, veggies or lengua. man oh man...those perfectly
sized street tacos double wrapped with the fresh tortillas tho...been about three years since i did a taco ride in the dtown la area...might be time to hit 5 different places
for one taco apiece, again.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-25-21 at 03:18 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-25-21, 05:02 PM
joesch

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
the taco seems to be our preferred conduit of foodstuff consumption here in socal. seems like nearly every little neighborhood has at least one solid choice
if not more. you've got the street vendors, the old-school places and the newer places trying to maintain the balance between the tried/true and crazy newer
offerings. honestly, can't remember the last time i had a taco in socal that left me meh. it all seems to be pretty good and everyone seems to have their
multiple go-to's...not just one place. i will say it's harder to find a great pollo taco than carne asada, adobada, veggies or lengua. man oh man...those perfectly
sized street tacos double wrapped with the fresh tortillas tho...been about three years since i did a taco ride in the dtown la area...might be time to hit 5 different places
for one taco apiece, again.
Sounds like a good plan.
Another of my mex favs from SoCal is carnitas. Tx has TexMex which is very good but not the good variety of carnitas like SoCal.