Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else bring the bike inside the store while shopping?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Does anyone else bring the bike inside the store while shopping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 07:38 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I don't know of any grocery chain store that'll allow you to bring a bicycle inside the store let alone take it around the interior of the store as you shop. They're very concerned about potential liability issues should anyone b e injured by the bicycle. this is in South-Central Ontario, Canada.

Cheers
Old 03-02-20, 07:57 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Never bring my bike in stores. I own appropriate locks, and I'd rather not be in a position to annoy or inconvenience store employees or other shoppers.
Old 03-04-20, 06:17 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I also would not recommend leaving the bicycle anywhere unattended. It's the least likely to cause anyone a problem, and least likely a problem should occur to it, if you keep it under your control. Bring it with you while doing the shopping and be done without any issue. Your shopping task has been completed, you're on your way, the store is still in business and everyone's happy. I get plenty of smiles, no one has been upset about my bicycle being in the store.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 03-21-20, 05:08 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

I can now add grocery shopping inside the supermarket, to my list of stores that my '2-wheeled cart' was not refused. Here are some additional reasons why nobody was worried about it:
• It's understandable that people want to be careful about what they touch with their hands. When I bring my own cart, that's one more way for me to know the history of what I'm touching.
• Someone who rode a bicycle to the store is apparently healthy.

For those reading this post many years after I posted it, this was during the outbreak of the Covid 19 pandemic, when the American public had little confidence that their government was addressing the problem.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 03-26-20, 05:39 PM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
No. I lock up the bike outside. I find it is too difficult to maneuver the bike inside since there are so many people with their dogs.

Last edited by Goosecheck; 03-26-20 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-02-20, 10:14 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Hassle-free shopping in the age of global pandemic.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 04-02-20, 10:52 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
At a large shopping center near where I live, there are several places to lock a bike. I look for a place to lock it that also has a security camera. Anyone stealing it will be filmed. I occasionally see people take bikes in, and load their purchase inside. They need to only walk with their bike in the shop, and be very mindful of others. Anyone being irresponsible, will be told to take their bike out. If there was not some control, young boys would be riding around inside the shopping center. They need to be stopped.
Old 04-03-20, 08:18 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenMiranda
I now have an adult tricycle (worksman Adaptable) so I really can't bring it inside. Before with my old Trek I had at a local grocery store...but they have a rack now. If they have a rack I have no problem, and use more than one locking mechanism anyway to make it more difficult to steal.
Some stores will allow you to bring it in, especially if they don't have a bike rack.

There are a few stores around here that I even bring my velomobile inside, including the local Home Depot. It never hurts to ask. I think maybe with the velo, they are so fascinated by the uniqueness of it, I may get an occasional pass that they wouldn't give to a 'regular' trike. There is usually someone hanging around checking it out....
Old 04-05-20, 07:29 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
I walk my bike in the store like I own it and have done it for ten years. I'm an old man, if they want to fight me they can. I'm nice, but determined.

Safeway, Aldi, Giant, Home Depot. No problemo. Dollartree, it's a smaller store, no. And can understand.

I fold the pedals and use the baskets as my shopping cart.

PS. I have a severely degenerated L4/5 and can't carry groceries and would need a wheeled basket otherwise.

My shopper
Likes For mirfi:
Old 04-07-20, 09:04 PM
VinceXE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It depends. I am not shy to taking my bike inside of a store but I don't prefer to do it. All of the places I go have a place to put my bike outside, so its not a need to bring it inside.
Old 04-12-20, 03:54 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
There is currently a line past the bike stands and a shop assistant can see the stands and if you're in the line you can see the bikes. People can see who gets off the bicycles so it would be pretty obvious if someone was trying to steal the bicycles. I've seen a couple of people leave their bikes unlocked even, but I think they are a little mad doing that.