Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Professional fit for a Giant Cypress?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 10:55 PM
vuduthmb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Do I really need a professional fit for a Giant Cypress, a $400 comfort bike? The idea was floated to me at the local bike shop, and it’s interesting, but I’m not sure it’s really necessary for a simple bike like this. There are lots of instructional videos on youtube, doesn’t seem like adjusting seat height, angle or tilting handlbars would be all that difficult.

What do you think?
Old 08-27-19, 01:13 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I've got one, and just dinked with it till it felt right. It might depend on how far you ride at one time, but I'm happy with what I've got. No advice one way or the other, though.
Old 08-27-19, 04:21 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
If you don't ride for several hours at a time, it's probably not necessary. That said, it wouldn't do any harm, if only to the wallet.
Old 08-27-19, 08:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
That said, it wouldn't do any harm.
I'm not so sure. We are in the digital age where people think the "exact right" answer is always available for a price.

Now think about where all of that accurate scientific data comes from. I'm thinking it's from Olympic and professional grade racing teams. They don't race comfort bikes in the Olympics. It's a whole different fit so most of that data is probably going to be wrong for you.
Old 08-27-19, 10:17 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
A true fitting involves testing the limit of flexibility of the body, optimizing fit for power output and other things oriented not just towards comfort, but performance.. Don't see how the body position on the Cypress can come anywhere near the flex limits of the body and optimal position for performance. Unless it is a free fit, don't bother with it. The bike is a comfort bike. Upright and comfy.
Old 08-27-19, 10:26 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
For a bike like the Cypress I just like to be able to bracket my size by trying the sizes on either side of the one that I end up with. It's like when you get your eyes checked. If going smaller feels worse and going larger feels worse, then you've found the right size. From there you can dial in the details like stem length, handlebar rise, etc.

I saw your other thread about having bought the 18" frame size. Does your shop have a 20" frame size in stock for you to try? If you are in doubt, the ideal would be to try both sizes of the bike and decide for yourself which one felt better.
Old 08-27-19, 11:43 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
If you don't ride for several hours at a time, it's probably not necessary. That said, it wouldn't do any harm, if only to the wallet.
I think fittings are pricey, but informative. I think if you plan on getting a stable of bikes - or really just want to know what things can be tweaked, it is a good use of money. But I would likely concur it also depends on your riding aspirations.

I got a fit on the way to a custom bike - that was going to be for casual-ish use. Still found it quite helpful, even though my bike is an upright one. I have slight aspirations to do some longer rides for me (like a 40 mile charity ride) so it was helpful.
Old 08-27-19, 04:15 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
It would be interesting to see how they professionally fit a comfort bike whose principle design is to provide an upright posture.
Old 08-31-19, 09:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Getting a bike fit is a good way to go on any bike. A bike fit is more than just slight adjustments and quick stuff that you learned on Youtube. Maybe some bad fitters do that but knowing several fitters and having had a fit myself it is a lot more. At our shop we have a Retül certified fitter and in his road and MTB fits he goes through fitness, asks a lot of questions and also does 3d motion capture to figure out the ideal position for you. Yes you can play around a bunch and get a little better but it doesn't replace a fit. We fit everyone from the Roadies to people looking purely for upright comfort and one thing you get with it is the ability to transfer the fit to another bike very easily.

I have never understood the Cypress and similar bikes denoted as "comfort" bikes but are so heavy and run narrower tires. I would want a nice step through quality steel frame with clearance for nice wide tires and good quality parts so I can shift and brake well.
Old 09-01-19, 04:41 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Hi. If it helps, I've owned a secondhand Cypress for nine years.

I had some sort of bike fitting at a bike shop, years, beforehand, while testing a new hybrid bike. I don't remember the shop assistant doing much, just judging which bike might fit me best by looking at me, having me stand next to bikes, etc. She thought a medium would work for me because she thought I might continue growing.

However, I think I remember the bike not feeling quite right to me (I think my arms felt uncomfortable with the reach of the handlebars), plus, one of my parents wasn't happy at how much it'd cost (it was supposed to be a birthday present), so it was returned. Years later, I saw the used Cypress on Craigslist, tried riding it, and immediately liked it: the fit felt comfortable and perfect for my arms; I'd never ridden a bike that felt that comfortable, before. It was a small size, which also was the correct range for my height, as I looked up, online.

So, yes. Some shop assistant's fittings might not necessarily be correct. (Although, yes, sizing among bikes might vary, and I definitely didn't have one of those expensive fittings where shop assistants use a machine).

Last edited by anon06; 09-01-19 at 04:53 PM.