Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pinarello/MOst Chainring/Crankset questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 06:42 PM
BenWheeler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,

I have a 2010-ish Pinarello FP3 that I bought a couple of months ago - my first proper road bike. Love it!

It has a Veloce 10spd groupset with some Pinarello/MOst components. Some of the teeth on the chainrings are looking a bit average, and I'm planning on replacing chain, chainrings and cassette in one go. Good information on this gear seems hard to find, so I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following.

Here are my options, as I understand them, short of buying an 11spd group that would cost more than the bike did:

1) New chainrings

- If I find a 110BCD 10spd chainring that claims to fit Campagnolo, is that good enough? For instance, a website (I'm not allowed to link to) with "Stronglight for Campagnolo 110mm 9/10" chainrings. I think there are Veloce and Record chainrings around that possibly have the right specs. Of course, I'd prefer them to be black

2) New Crankset

If I end up having to get the whole Crankset, how does one match it to the bottom bracket? It's a "MOst Croxover" Italian threaded oversize bracket which uses FSA MegaEXO cups. Hopefully I've got my terminology right there. I've seen a Veloce 10sp Crankset.. can I assume it will fit?

Cheers!

PS would love to attach photos, but this is my first post. Is there a workaround?
Old 11-11-19, 10:17 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by BenWheeler
If I end up having to get the whole Crankset, how does one match it to the bottom bracket?
PS would love to attach photos, but this is my first post. Is there a workaround?
One chooses a crankset first, then picks a BB which suits it and the frame. Trying to fit a crankset to an existing BB is letting the tail wag the dog.
Re: photos, you can upload photos to a photo-sharing site and post a link.
Old 11-11-19, 10:50 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
One chooses a crankset first, then picks a BB which suits it and the frame. Trying to fit a crankset to an existing BB is letting the tail wag the dog.
Re: photos, you can upload photos to a photo-sharing site and post a link.
Nowadays, the frame normally determines what BB, then what crank you can fit.

From the look of the FP3, without knowing the exact spec, what is online indicates it has an Italian BB, which does make things pretty easy, in that any current external BB type crank system will fit it.

For replacement, if your going to replace the outer chainring, it often gets cheaper to replace the complete crank, if you are adding the cassette and chain, would be looking at the condition of the RD, esp the jockey wheels, and all other parts, work out how long they will last, vs just replacing them all now, as you will either be paying now, or deferring the cost till late.
Old 11-11-19, 01:49 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
.......Some of the teeth on the chainrings are looking a bit average.................
Often on NEW rings, some teeth will look worn.
It's to assist shifting.

Are the "average" teeth equally spaced around the ring?
Old 11-11-19, 03:25 PM
BenWheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. If I do replace the crankset, and BB cups, is the crankshaft length a standard thing?

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Often on NEW rings, some teeth will look worn.
It's to assist shifting.

Are the "average" teeth equally spaced around the ring?
Good tip - I'll check that tonight, cheers.
Old 11-11-19, 04:59 PM
BenWheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. If I do replace the crankset, and BB cups, is the crankshaft length a standard thing?
Cancel that question - found the info, now that I know what to look for.