Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Bike travel case

Old 06-03-16, 04:47 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
sometimes it's the cap or collar...not just the bearing in the frame. this is heightened esp if the bike has been ridden in the rain.
Yep, that is why I said the headset cap
Old 06-05-16, 03:42 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked 2,444 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Funny!

And congrats to your wife!!
Thanks Matt. It was a fun trip.
Old 06-05-16, 08:02 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Yep, that is why I said the headset cap
i cannot be bothered with details!
Old 06-05-16, 08:10 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I disclose to the airlines that it is a bicycle. I see little point in managing my life and budget via deception - to each his own.
i hear you and understand that point of view.

personally, i find it sad that one can fly with golf clubs or skis for free (oversized by linear inches) and bikes are $150. i think that perhaps this is a failing of USAC vs the ski and golf industries.

wouldn't it be great if USAC negotiated free bikes with, say, united (regardless of measurement...it's pretty much impossible to get an actual bike in <62 linear inches). you might sell many more licenses (=good), and that might create a true incentive to fly with that airline. our representative organization is failing us a bit here, i think.

when i re-read united's policy i noticed that if the measurement is <=62 linear inches or at least appears to be about that so that the agent does not measure, it doesn't matter if it is a bike or not. i'm fairly sure it used to be a few years ago that if you had a bike you were paying regardless of dimensions. or maybe my memory is failing me there, and it was just their rote assumption that "a bike is pretty much always over 62 linear inches" is what triggered the fee.

personally i've noticed that pre-paying for baggage (eg $25 on united) before you show up at the counter can matter; the agent has to undo that charge and re-do it as a bike. if it's busy or they're feeling a bit lazy, they might let it slide.

i feel like we're discriminated against due to the contents of our luggage. as a whole, cyclists probably weigh less than the average american. too bad we can't get on a scale -- checked bags, carry-on, our body -- and, say, pay nothing if it is under 250#. we're really just cargo. imagine the outrage!
Old 06-08-16, 11:23 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so...kind of talking about this up above, and today USAC announces a partnership/discount for members who use bikeflights. i'm fortunate to get some pretty insane shipping rates (like 2-day and next day for ground prices), and when i asked a friend who shipped his bike to nationals i was not expecting their rate to come close. it did. with a further USAC discount it could be even better. damn.

good stuff, potentially.
Old 06-09-16, 09:57 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
so is it true that if you label your bike a therapeutic medical device, then it doesn't get charged the oversize fee? or did I imagine that in a dream that I had?
Old 06-10-16, 06:44 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oversize is oversize.
Old 07-31-16, 09:35 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I found this blurb:

Except where required
under the Montreal
Convention, Frontier is not
liable for the mentioned
items if you pack them
and they are damaged
unless packed in a hardsided
case.

If just for legal/terms reasons I'm going to be using the hard case over the soft case for flights on some airlines.
Old 07-31-16, 09:38 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Oversize is oversize.
While technically yes, they have a lot of discretion at the counter.
The wheel case I used was over-sized. It has not yet had anyone stick a fee on it (some 30 flights).
Old 07-31-16, 01:59 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I found this blurb:

Except where required
under the Montreal
Convention, Frontier is not
liable for the mentioned
items if you pack them
and they are damaged
unless packed in a hardsided
case.

If just for legal/terms reasons I'm going to be using the hard case over the soft case for flights on some airlines.
IME....collecting on damages from an airline is about as successful as collecting from UPS. they will do everything in their power to make it hard/impossible and will blame your packaging. of course, packing in a soft-sided case will immediately invalidate any claims in your example.

also IME, it is pretty darn rare for a bike to be damaged beyond all repair. even if a frame is destroyed (by an airline's rough handling or a crash in a race), the components are OK.....or if you destroy a wheel, the frame is fine. if someone has a "ten thousand dollar bike" it would be rare to have a case where it did not disappear and required anywhere near that money to fix/replace the damaged bits.

so....for me it comes down to cost/benefit. a hard-sided bike case is pretty much guaranteed to get hit with oversize/over-weight fees. if you multiply those fees by the # of trips, does it exceed the $180 to, say, do a carbon repair stay if there was some damage during one flight in 40?

just throwing out a hypothetical example here, but you get the point.
Old 07-31-16, 02:02 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
While technically yes, they have a lot of discretion at the counter.
The wheel case I used was over-sized. It has not yet had anyone stick a fee on it (some 30 flights).
did anyone else appreciate the irony here?

@shovelhd's usually our "rues are subject to interpretation" man (which i agree with), and @Doge is the one who tries to apply them more strictly.

are wheel cases actually oversized? i don't have one but have traveled with friends who have them and they don't appear oversized to me.

also, i agree that oversized is not oversized. i've flown with bags that are oversized and have not been hit due to the appearance of the bag -- and due to my own appearance! OTOH, i've flown with bags that are similarly sized and been hit. dressed nicely/inconspicuously vs having cycling-branded apparel all over makes a difference.
Old 07-31-16, 06:07 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is discretion, for sure, I just wouldn't count on it.

United trashed my Felt F5 chainstay on the trip back from Bend Nats. Had to do a crash replacement to the Fc. They refused to pay a dime even though I checked it as a bike and paid the fees.
Old 07-31-16, 07:26 PM
Doge

did anyone else appreciate the irony here?

@shovelhd's usually our "rues are subject to interpretation" man (which i agree with), and @Doge is the one who tries to apply them more strictly.

are wheel cases actually oversized? i don't have one but have traveled with friends who have them and they don't appear oversized to me.
The wheel case is over-sized. I've only flown with said case a few times. It is a team case and has flown may other trips. Trip back from Czechia Luftansia (Star Alliance) put it in oversize, but did not charge. On the way out United did not put in oversize or charge. I don't see the irony when the counter folks have the discretion. We carry the "rules" and use as needed.

Normally they will charge for a bike. Sometimes they (try to) charge too much and sometimes they charge less. The counter people are given that authority - and some airlines give more of it than others. I also thank United for sponsoring USA Cycling. Most at the counter don't know that. But they like to here it and it may have something to do with not charging - or it may just make them feel good. I don't fly much anymore but have over 1M butt miles. I have the priority and history on United and do get breaks from them. It is fun standing in line trying to profile who will give me the deal and who won't. But in all cases I thank them and am polite and pay if they say pay and don't - if they don't.
Old 09-04-16, 12:26 AM
Falchoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's a review of another 'ninja' bike case - OruCase Airport Ninja bike travel case | CyclingTips

Most of the pro teams seem to use the Scicon AeroComfort bags which are soft bag with a steel internal frame which you attach the bike to. They also have castors on the bottom of the bag that make it super easy to wheel around airports.

BUY | Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 TSA Bike Bag
Old 09-04-16, 10:16 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Ninja one, it's worked well so far. A bit tricky to figure our the first time and not the easiest to carry around, but it does what it does well.
Old 09-07-16, 07:29 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rankin116
I have the Ninja one, it's worked well so far. A bit tricky to figure our the first time and not the easiest to carry around, but it does what it does well.
Was considering a $9k+ Moots $&$ frame for my weekly out of town trips. Decided to give the Ninja case ($400) and my aluminium commuter a try first. Just ordered and should have it in a week. I'll post an update.

Last edited by Da Reef; 09-07-16 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 10:33 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Da Reef
Was considering a $9k+ Moots $&$ frame for my weekly out of town trips. Decided to give the Ninja case ($400) and my aluminium commuter a try first. Just ordered and should have it in a week. I'll post an update.
it can be pretty difficult to do business with those guys ("here--take my money!") but the product is good. i have yet to be charged an airline fee. technically it IS oversized, but they don't come out and say that.
Old 09-08-16, 09:45 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so i have a gavilan BFF XS without wheels and have traveled no charge for ongoing 7 trips now round trip. Although i wanted the wheels version i didn't want to pay the 100$ premium. The 7 trips have been made fine, but for sure wheels would have made any of those trips exponentially better going to trains, running to flights, or even just getting to the rental car.

bought some casters 1.5" from amazon for like 15$ and i'ma jerry rig some plates for this thing. pretty stoked to have wheels soon
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51af51jn4BL._SL1100_.jpg
Old 09-09-16, 11:01 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp
so i have a gavilan BFF XS without wheels and have traveled no charge for ongoing 7 trips now round trip. Although i wanted the wheels version i didn't want to pay the 100$ premium. The 7 trips have been made fine, but for sure wheels would have made any of those trips exponentially better going to trains, running to flights, or even just getting to the rental car.

bought some casters 1.5" from amazon for like 15$ and i'ma jerry rig some plates for this thing. pretty stoked to have wheels soon
he's so much easier to deal with than the ninja guys, too.

both bags have their pros and cons.
Old 01-01-17, 07:34 PM
Da Reef

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it can be pretty difficult to do business with those guys ("here--take my money!") but the product is good. i have yet to be charged an airline fee. technically it IS oversized, but they don't come out and say that.
As an update, I received my case and have flown numerous times and have not been charged. I am asked almost every time what is in the bag. I tell them it is a convention display and it never goes beyond that. But the TSA does open the bag almost every time.

I've found it nice to have a bike while traveling but would like to find an easier option. I'm interested in the English folding frames.
Old 01-01-17, 08:43 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp

Pretty cool, but looks like you need to completely disassemble and re-assemble the bike every time you fly. Which means replacing cables, and re-adjusting derailleurs.
Old 01-02-17, 01:26 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Pretty cool, but looks like you need to completely disassemble and re-assemble the bike every time you fly. Which means replacing cables, and re-adjusting derailleurs.
just because you remove the bars doesn't mean you have to re-cable everything.

i use di2 (another advantage), but i don't disconnect brake cables. i think you'd likely just have to disconnect the RD cable since it is best/safest to remove the RD & hanger from the frame for transport.

still, a cable should survive at least a few disconnects/reconnects.

it's the price you pay for saving possibly hundreds of $ per r/t.
Old 01-02-17, 08:22 PM
Da Reef

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dont disconnect any cables. I can fit the bars in the triangle with he cables still attached. Seat and post go in the rear triangle. Took several tries to get it down.
Old 01-03-17, 10:30 AM
Tyrell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a Ritchey Breakaway earlier this year as I found myself travelling quite a bit for work. Used it on 5 trips so far and coming up on another trip to Chile end of this week. No charges so far and have been asked once what was in it..."bicycle parts."
Old 01-03-17, 12:06 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Orucase here. Me and the GF have gotten away with several trips and zero fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.