Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fizik saddles

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 11:37 AM
tsappenfield

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fizik saddles

What's so great about Fizik saddles? Is this just great marketing on their part or are these really superior saddles?
Tsapp
Old 03-02-18, 04:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sit on a few and see if your backside likes them..

I only have the ones Made For Brompton, a variant of the Unisex Vitesse.. they were $40 ..

I now have 4.. its a flexible shell dense foam , Pleather cover.. (Park in the rain) reasonably lightweight ..

Its the racing saddle division of Selle Royale.. They bought Brooks.. the Cambium stuff comes out of their Italian factories..

want carbon, Titanium? it will cost you a pretty penny. then you get into their higher end..

Old 03-02-18, 05:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Fizik makes quality products which last a long time. The variety of products means they likely have one to fit your needs and budge.

Having said that, I replaced the Fizik saddles on two of my bikes with Fabric saddles and will be doing the same for the remaining bike soon.

Fabric is the new Fizik.

-Tim-
Old 03-02-18, 08:53 PM
Helolumpy

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried a Fisik and it felt like I was sitting on a lead pipe.

Lots of pros seem to ride it and generally they get their choice of saddles.

I won a Fabric Scoop in a contest and I have no idea how it has such great reviews. It now sits on my beater bike to go get ice cream with my kids.

I think Fabric has some great marketing because I see thousands of on line reviews praising their saddles but I never see anyone actually riding one at any of the group rides I attend.
Old 03-02-18, 09:55 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by tsappenfield
What's so great about Fizik saddles? Is this just great marketing on their part or are these really superior saddles?
Tsapp
I don't think any saddle brand is superior. You just have to find what works for you. I have more Fizik saddles than any others and find they work for me. I've haven't broken or wore one out yet.

I've also got two of the Fabric Scoops going and like them.
Old 03-02-18, 10:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
fi'zi:k makes some popular products that some people's butts really like. They do make a clean looking high quality product but it comes down to what your derriere would prefaire (prefer but rhyming). I have one I am probably going to try out soon after winter is over. However my butt seems to be happiest on Brooks Cambium line.

I am sure they have some great marketing as well but some people like them. A lot of pro riders use them and that is usually somewhat of a good thing since they ride more than most but it can also be bad because some pros will sacrifice comfort for speed or aero or weight savings.
Old 03-02-18, 11:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
One friend swears by Fizik saddles. Has one on every bike. Rides many centuries a year on 'em.

Another friend swears at Fiziks. Still recovering from saddle sores that began last summer.

I checked 'em out at the LBS, which has a lending program. Seemed well made but pricey. I was tempted by the heavily discounted Fiziks available on Nashbar and others.

Instead I bought a Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio being blown out by Amazon for $20 (all gone now at that price). Seems very similar to the Fizik Antares I was on the verge of buying. No complaints after 8 rides and nearly 300 miles. Just enough padding to do the trick. I plant my butt and it's all sweet spot, no scooting around trying to get comfortable.

I might eventually get a "flow" version or a similar similar with cutout for perineum relief. Depends on how it feels this summer after some long rides. Otherwise, it's fine.
Old 03-04-18, 07:50 AM
tsappenfield

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The responses are kind of what I expected. I currently have a San Marco saddle on my road bike, my second such saddle. I ride about 2500 miles per year and my butt and I are very happy with this saddle.
OP
Old 03-04-18, 07:58 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have owned several different saddles ...

two that I find very comfortable (especially for long distance) are the Brooks Cambium C17 carved (I currently these fitted on 2 of my bikes), and the Fizik Airone Wing Flex that I had mounted to a Specialized S-Works

I've just bought a bike for long distance Audax rides, and I'm seriously considering fitting the Fizik Airone Wing Flex as it's a bit lighter than the Brooks
Old 03-04-18, 08:35 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Tried one, had to return it, it was ok to 35 miles, increasingly uncomfortable for the next 10 and sheer agony after that. Some people I know love 'em. Went back to a Specialized Toupe for me.
Old 03-04-18, 10:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FWIW racing the weight goes onto your feet, pushing hard to go fast.. very little on that backside..

thousands of saddles .. keep sitting on more till you find what works for you.