Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 triple front shifter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-19, 12:51 AM
brodycycle

Bikes: H. Tano (Kobe Japan) Custom, Scott CR1 Upgraded, Scott Speedster Upgraded

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I have a triple crank, FD, and shifter all Shimano that I use for touring. The shifter needs to be rebuilt as it simply doe not shift, seems a ratcheting mechanism is not engaging and holding the position. For now I just run a double compact. Anyone rebuilt these?
Old 11-15-19, 03:37 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Try flushing it with some PB blaster or WD-40 and work the ratcheting mechanism, sounds like the grease has gelled.

Old 11-15-19, 04:24 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
That happened a couple years ago to my 105 rear shifter. Cleaning it wasn't a solution, as the teeth on the internal mechanisms had worn down to the point where they just slipped instead of shifted.

I'd be surprised if that happened on a front shifter because generally you dont' shift he front as much. But it could have. So try cleaning it as mentioned (I've cleaned them in hot soapy water before, then dried thoroughly and relubed).

When mine went bad I asked about rebuild here - the answer seemed to be that it's possible, but probably quite expensive and very difficult to get the parts. I bought a new set.
Old 11-15-19, 04:54 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
No mention of the specific model/age of the shifter (105 covers a groupset that has been in production for decades)

It's going to be 5703 newest, which is 3 generations old, long OOP and warranty.

Add to that, Shimano shifters are not (in general) user-serviceable.

Unless the suggestions above work would be looking for a NOS replacement/alternate shifter.

Last edited by jimc101; 11-15-19 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-15-19, 10:41 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Unless the suggestions above work would be looking for a NOS replacement/alternate shifter.
For touring use, Gevenalle Audax with friction front and rear shifting are pretty much bulletproof: https://www.gevenalle.com/product/audax/
They also have indexed rear/friction front for 9-10-11 speed (you didn't mention what you've got) https://www.gevenalle.com/product/cx2/
Old 11-15-19, 11:56 AM
brodycycle

Bikes: H. Tano (Kobe Japan) Custom, Scott CR1 Upgraded, Scott Speedster Upgraded

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you all. I have 10 speed rear. They are all relatively old and have several thousand miles on them. I did clean and lube the rear shifter and it helped, but the front may well be worn out as said.
Old 11-15-19, 01:35 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
For touring use, Gevenalle Audax with friction front and rear shifting are pretty much bulletproof: https://www.gevenalle.com/product/audax/
They also have indexed rear/friction front for 9-10-11 speed (you didn't mention what you've got) https://www.gevenalle.com/product/cx2/
Bar-end shifters are another option, had never used them before last year, I built an MTB drop bar conversion, and have put just under 5000km on in the last 18 months and they work great for short to long-distance riding, the only thing is going back to STI's I keep reaching for the bar end to shift
Old 11-15-19, 02:08 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Which series? The left/front shifter is usually easier to find used.
Old 11-18-19, 11:39 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Amazon still has the st-5703 for sale brand new. I've seen replacement guts for this model on ebay too... dunno if they have the parts you need or not.