Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Trucks on Narrow Twisting Roads

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Trucks on Narrow Twisting Roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 09:40 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 5,709 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
In fairness to Greenville County SC and some surrounding counties, the posted speed limits are extremely reasonable IMO. Farm roads are often 35 mph with 20-25 mph in curves and 20-30 when approaching intersections that have hindered visibility for traffic entering from the cross street. 45 mph is the rule for wide open spaces with straight(ish) roads and decent sight lines. Those 45mph roads would be 70 mph in Texas for example. So I am very pleased with the EFFORT made by SC for appealing to the "least common denominator" i.e., big trucks with worn out brakes.

The problem, of course, is that motorists do not obey the limits. No matter how fast I drive (sometimes 5-7 over the limit on straight roads) there is ALWAYS a pickup truck or SUV nearly pushing me down the road NASCAR style. Which of course encourages me to slow to EXACTLY the speed limit, because, yes, I'm a d**k like that.
I used to slow too because if I was over the limit and people were still tailgating me, it would piss me off. Now that I’m a bit older and wiser, I pull off the road and let them go by, to tailgate the next person. In this day and age of road rage and people doing extreme and lethal things, pulling over for a few seconds works for me. YMMV

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-23-24, 08:35 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I used to slow too because if I was over the limit and people were still tailgating me, it would piss me off. Now that I’m a bit older and wiser, I pull off the road and let them go by, to tailgate the next person. In this day and age of road rage and people doing extreme and lethal things, pulling over for a few seconds works for me. YMMV
Oh, I have pulled over also, but on the majority of roads around Greenville there is no place to pull over, other than someone's driveway, meaning I would have to slow to nearly a stop for a sharp right turn, then back out of the driveway onto the busy highway again. One day not long ago I had a pickup "pushing" me down the road as I approached a train track crossing - many of which will break your car in half if you don't slow to walking speed. Dude laid on the horn as I slowed for the track. Thankfully there were several businesses beyond the tracks for me to easily pull over. Then, of course, I caught up to the A.H. at the next red light.

What makes slowing to the speed limit most effective here is that there are ZERO roads where you can pass another vehicle on a 2-lane highway. Every road has double yellow lines due to blind hilltops, blind curves, cross streets, driveways, etc., and plenty enough traffic to deter illegal passing. Another good trick during daylight hours is to turn on my headlights, which also illuminates my tail lights so appearing like I just hit the brakes. That trick can give tailgaters momentary pause.

Potential road rage is a good point for sure. I really don't care about that to be honest.