Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Any New Suggested Tires For 2016?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 10:27 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts

I'm due to retire (re-tire?) the stock set on my bike and I know I could immediately go to the Continental Gatorskins and be happy but I was wondering if anything new emerged over the Winter that people are all tingly about. I'm a bike path rider if that matters.
Old 02-17-16, 01:36 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 935 Times in 282 Posts
Loving these panaracer gravelkings in 28c. I'd say they are a cheaper competition to the gatorskin hardshells but ride better imo. Zero flats in the month I've had them. All types of terrain so far.

$40 each in Amazon prime.
https://www.amazon.com/MRP-TR6258-P-P.../dp/B00PUE49NU
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.

Last edited by jsigone; 02-17-16 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 01:58 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
Zero flats in the month I've had them. All types of terrain so far.
How many flats do you usually get a month?
Old 02-17-16, 02:06 PM
WonderMonkey

Loving these panaracer gravelkings in 28c. I'd say they are a cheaper competition to the gatorskin hardshells but ride better imo. Zero flats in the month I've had them. All types of terrain so far.

$40 each in Amazon prime.
https://www.amazon.com/MRP-TR6258-P-P.../dp/B00PUE49NU
Thanks, I'll go check those out.
Old 02-17-16, 02:57 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,672 Times in 3,455 Posts
What size of tires are you using? Goals? Touring, commuting, gravel, speed, MTB?

I just mounted a pair of 700x23 Tannus tires on my winter commuter. NO FLATS... EVER

They were a bit of a pain to install, and it is still early in the testing phase, but so far, so good. I do chirp a bit on my driveway hill, so traction could be a bit better, but perhaps it will improve as the tires break in. The ride seems similar to other high pressure tires (for the ones I chose, there are wider ones available).

Purchase Tannus Aither 1.1 Solid Foam Bike Tires
Old 02-17-16, 03:27 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I'm due to retire (re-tire?) the stock set on my bike and I know I could immediately go to the Continental Gatorskins and be happy but I was wondering if anything new emerged over the Winter that people are all tingly about. I'm a bike path rider if that matters.
Continental now sells the GP4000SII in widths up to 28mm. They'll save you 20W+ at 20MPH over Gatorskins and 15W+ over GP 4 Seasons. The Gatorskin Hardshell is slower than the Gatorskin although I've never seen that quantified.

I never noticed a difference in the flat rate between the three tires, although the GP4000S/SII lack side-wall protection and would not be good on gravel.

There's also a Grand Prix which is supposed to share the GP4000 tread compound, but has tougher side walls. I have no clue how that rides or measures.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-18-16 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-17-16, 03:34 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've also been using the Gravel King 28s and really like them. I've put about 2,000 miles on a pair over the past 6 months, mostly commuting. I've had a couple of flats during that time, but that's to be expected while commuting in winter, riding in the dark often with lots of potholes. My rear tire still has plenty of tread but has a lot of cuts, so I might replace it soon.

Compared to Gatorskins, I would rate the Gravel Kings as a much nicer riding tire, wider in size 28, but probably not as flat-resistant or long-wearing. I am not a Gatorskins fan, as I found them harsh-riding.
Old 02-17-16, 03:43 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by CliffordK
What size of tires are you using? Goals? Touring, commuting, gravel, speed, MTB?

I just mounted a pair of 700x23 Tannus tires on my winter commuter. NO FLATS... EVER

They were a bit of a pain to install, and it is still early in the testing phase, but so far, so good. I do chirp a bit on my driveway hill, so traction could be a bit better, but perhaps it will improve as the tires break in. The ride seems similar to other high pressure tires (for the ones I chose, there are wider ones available).

Purchase Tannus Aither 1.1 Solid Foam Bike Tires
Interesting. I'll check those out.

I'll have to look at my exact size but basic a road bike size. I know that only narrows it down. I'll look.

While I do commute some I'm training for an Imperial Century. So basically tires for someone who will do regular 40+ mile rides.
Old 02-17-16, 03:45 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Continental now sells the GP4000SII in widths up to 28mm. They'll save you 20W+ at 20MPH over Gatorskins and 15W+ over GP 4 Seasons.

I never noticed a difference in the flat rate between the three tires, although the GP4000S/SII lack side-wall protection and would not be good on gravel. There's also a Grand Prix which is supposed to share the tread compound, but have tougher side walls. I have no clue how that rides or measures.
Why would they save some wattage, lower rolling resistance?

The bike paths around here are relatively flat. We do have a fairly extensive system around here and I can go many miles and only have to use a few stretches of road. With that in mind if there is any actual gravel it would be because of temporary path fixing or the like. Nothing stead.
Old 02-17-16, 03:55 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Why would they save some wattage, lower rolling resistance?
Lower rolling resistance.
Old 02-17-16, 03:57 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,672 Times in 3,455 Posts
Interesting. I'll check those out.

I'll have to look at my exact size but basic a road bike size. I know that only narrows it down. I'll look.

While I do commute some I'm training for an Imperial Century. So basically tires for someone who will do regular 40+ mile rides.
If you go with the Tannus, there are tire/rim width charts, and you have to be pretty specific.

Tannus Aither 1.1 Tire Size Chart Tire Selection
Installing Tannus Bicycle Bike Tires | Tannus USA
Tannus Tires - Solid Bicycle Tires

But, in general, there are different widths, that would vary a bit by one's use and weight.
narrower tires (23mm, 25mm width) may be a bit sportier for various reasons, but are also better suited to lighter riders.
wider tires (28mm, 32mm) give a bit cushier ride, and would also be more appropriate for heavier riders.

I'm not sure about rolling resistance. 20W would be a substantial difference, but may only work out to be a minimal difference in speed.
Old 02-17-16, 04:28 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Schwalbe one or Pro one tubeless. great ride.
Old 02-17-16, 05:03 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 935 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
How many flats do you usually get a month?
at least 1 or 2 pending if I ride on dirt or not. Lower pressure gets pinches or I catch one of those thin wires from tires.

With the GKs I'm running 83F/85-87R psi and been solid so far.

GP2s are my favorite summer time, really good cornering grip and fast!!
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-17-16, 07:01 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by CliffordK
If you go with the Tannus, there are tire/rim width charts, and you have to be pretty specific.

Tannus Aither 1.1 Tire Size Chart Tire Selection
Installing Tannus Bicycle Bike Tires | Tannus USA
Tannus Tires - Solid Bicycle Tires

But, in general, there are different widths, that would vary a bit by one's use and weight.
narrower tires (23mm, 25mm width) may be a bit sportier for various reasons, but are also better suited to lighter riders.
wider tires (28mm, 32mm) give a bit cushier ride, and would also be more appropriate for heavier riders.

I'm not sure about rolling resistance. 20W would be a substantial difference, but may only work out to be a minimal difference in speed.
I'll certainly give that some study time. Not worrying about flats is a huge selling point for tires like that.

Though I am heavy for biking standards I'm not as heavy as I was and probably sometime in 2016 I'll be around 210 lbs.
Old 02-17-16, 07:02 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by dagray
Schwalbe one or Pro one tubeless. great ride.
Thanks. I'll throw those into the mix.
Old 02-17-16, 07:04 PM
WonderMonkey

GP2s are my favorite summer time, really good cornering grip and fast!!
Oh I don't have to worry about cornering as I generally only have to get into that if I'm reacting to an issue or made a mistake. Generally I just still don't trust leaning over too far on a curve. I don't know if I'll ever trust tires (or me, basically) that much.
Old 02-17-16, 07:22 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,127 Times in 748 Posts
When i have a choice, i use Vittoria Open Pave' open tubulars in miscellaneous widths -- life's too short to put up with cheap tires unless a person has some legitimate durability concerns because of their road surface
Old 02-17-16, 08:33 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Maxxis Re-Fuse TR. They call the new tubeless versions "gravel/adventure tires" for whatever reason, though the tread appears identical to the tubed version. I can't speak to the tubed, but the tubeless is a damn revelation. I rode for 4500 miles on Gator Hardshells, and switching to the tubeless Re-Fuse is like getting a supercharger. My average speeds for full rides have gone up over 2mph. It's absolutely unreal. I knew that the Gators were renowned for their rolling resistance (and durability-- I had zero flats in those 4500 miles) but the Maxxis are a whole new thing altogether. Extremely fast rolling, plush as all get out (I run 60F and 70R in my 700x32s) I've yet to find a single drawback. If I get even close to 2000 miles out of the rear, this will be my choice of tire... FOREVER.

Behold the power of the Re-Fuse.
Old 02-17-16, 08:46 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Maxxis Re-Fuse TR. They call the new tubeless versions "gravel/adventure tires" for whatever reason, though the tread appears identical to the tubed version. I can't speak to the tubed, but the tubeless is a damn revelation. I rode for 4500 miles on Gator Hardshells, and switching to the tubeless Re-Fuse is like getting a supercharger. My average speeds for full rides have gone up over 2mph. It's absolutely unreal. I knew that the Gators were renowned for their rolling resistance (and durability-- I had zero flats in those 4500 miles) but the Maxxis are a whole new thing altogether. Extremely fast rolling, plush as all get out (I run 60F and 70R in my 700x32s) I've yet to find a single drawback. If I get even close to 2000 miles out of the rear, this will be my choice of tire... FOREVER.

I am heading over to behold. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-17-16, 08:48 PM
WonderMonkey

Their site says it is a "Training Tire". I assume that is different from a tire that is made for a trainer? Does it mean you train on that tire but usually race on another?
Old 02-17-16, 08:53 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
<shrug> Maybe? It's supposed to be long-wearing, and also has a full-width kevlar belt, so definitely what would be classed as an "everyday" tire, like a Conti Gator, only it actually rolls. I cannot emphasize enough, the Re-Fuse rolls so much faster the Gator might as well be square.

But yes, definitely not a "trainer" tire.
Old 02-17-16, 09:59 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I at 360 pounds ride the Schwalbe One tubeless tires at 100psi and man it is a great ride, and I don't have to worry about pinch flats.

Their site says it is a "Training Tire". I assume that is different from a tire that is made for a trainer? Does it mean you train on that tire but usually race on another?
You will find some companies list a "training tire" this is just a way to say "every day use tire" or "not specifically a racing tire".

A Trainer tire is not for outside use, but for use on rollers or a trainer, but a training tire is for general riding or "training" for that big race.
Old 02-18-16, 08:03 AM
WonderMonkey

<shrug> Maybe? It's supposed to be long-wearing, and also has a full-width kevlar belt, so definitely what would be classed as an "everyday" tire, like a Conti Gator, only it actually rolls. I cannot emphasize enough, the Re-Fuse rolls so much faster the Gator might as well be square.

But yes, definitely not a "trainer" tire.
Super, thanks. I watched the video on how to install the tire. I wonder how often regular guys like me install it incorrectly?
Old 02-18-16, 08:03 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by dagray
I at 360 pounds ride the Schwalbe One tubeless tires at 100psi and man it is a great ride, and I don't have to worry about pinch flats.

You will find some companies list a "training tire" this is just a way to say "every day use tire" or "not specifically a racing tire".

A Trainer tire is not for outside use, but for use on rollers or a trainer, but a training tire is for general riding or "training" for that big race.
OK good, makes sense. I do have a tire just for my trainer and it was made for that so it falls in line.
Old 02-18-16, 08:10 AM
WonderMonkey

One thing I'm thinking that I'd like to explore is energy usage. Since doing the prep for this 100 miler I have planned will involve quite a bit of riding I'd like to have as low of rolling resistance as I'm willing to spend on. However I also want to give consideration to "It's not hurting you a significant amount" when NOT going right to the Conti GP 4000 S II's. The idea of not having to deal with flats is an attraction for some of the tires mentioned in this thread but they also have a bit more rolling resistance. Does it really matter in the scheme of things as long as the are mush?

DrIsotope mentioned that the Re-Fuse rolls better than the Gator, which is my default tire. The GP 4000 S II is probably even less than that. So really as far as rolling resistance, and extra energy one would use, what is the real difference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.