Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Test Riding a Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Test Riding a Bike

Old 06-15-20, 08:36 AM
xraydog

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Test Riding a Bike

I was reading in another part of a forum about purchasing a new Canyon bike. A comment came up.... "I simply would never lay out that cash for a bike I had never ridden" .... that got me thinking.

I understand that sentiment, but, at least in my case test rides are relatively short and usually not where I plan to ride the bike and usually do not represent a typical ride.

The question to you all is. How do you test ride of bike? How long? Where?, more than once? etc....
Old 06-15-20, 08:37 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
My LBS let me take the bike for the weekend.
Likes For probe1957:
Old 06-15-20, 09:02 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Canyon lets you return a bike within 30 days if you don't like it

Try returning a 3 week old bike to your lbs and see how that goes.........
Old 06-15-20, 09:22 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
The bike shop where I just bought my bike from was right on a MUP so I was able to give it a good ride and not worry about much more than how the bike felt.
Likes For ririder:
Old 06-15-20, 09:33 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I would agree with not buying a bike you've never ridden...but I did it again. Was close enough to home and my daughter brought me my new bike I ordered. Haven't had a chance even to take shipping packaging off yet. I've ridden enough to pretty well know my bike size and have ridden enough flatbar bikes to know what I'm getting. My first carbon fork tho so that will be different.

Old 06-15-20, 02:30 PM
xraydog

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hilly man..... Nice!. I like the way you are protecting it with the seatbelts.
Likes For xraydog:
Old 06-15-20, 02:37 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I rode a Wally World bike around the store once. Or almost, until some undercover shoplifter prevention guy stopped me. His attitude wasn't the greatest and the bike wasn't assembled properly so I took his advice and left the store. Does that count as a test ride?
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 06-15-20, 02:49 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Canyon lets you return a bike within 30 days if you don't like it

Try returning a 3 week old bike to your lbs and see how that goes.........
Yes, if it's unused. Try test riding a a bike that you can't...ride.
Old 06-15-20, 04:54 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Yes, if it's unused. Try test riding a a bike that you can't...ride.
Have you had a canyon return denied?
Old 06-15-20, 05:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by xraydog
I was reading in another part of a forum about purchasing a new Canyon bike. A comment came up.... "I simply would never lay out that cash for a bike I had never ridden" .... that got me thinking.

I understand that sentiment, but, at least in my case test rides are relatively short and usually not where I plan to ride the bike and usually do not represent a typical ride.

The question to you all is. How do you test ride of bike? How long? Where?, more than once? etc....
​​​​​​
I'm a road rider so even if all I can do is ride around the parking lot a dozen times, I can get a pretty good sense of my comfort level on a bike as long as I can get up to a decent speed.

I once fell in love with the look of a Klein racing bike, but about 25 feet of riding on that buzzy monster cured me of that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-15-20, 05:11 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Have you had a canyon return denied?
I have not. But their return policy clearly states they only accept new items for return.
Old 06-15-20, 05:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I'm not convinced test rides are particularly useful for most folks. It requires a certain amount of knowledge to understand what you are experiencing as you ride. That same knowledge will allow someone to look at bike specs and a geometry chart and have a pretty good idea how a bike will feel. An experienced cyclist doesn't need a test ride. An inexperienced cyclist doesn't know enough to benefit, outside of egregious fit errors.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-15-20, 06:32 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm not convinced test rides are particularly useful for most folks. It requires a certain amount of knowledge to understand what you are experiencing as you ride. That same knowledge will allow someone to look at bike specs and a geometry chart and have a pretty good idea how a bike will feel. An experienced cyclist doesn't need a test ride. An inexperienced cyclist doesn't know enough to benefit, outside of egregious fit errors.
I couldn't agree with you more except to add that even low end parts work good when they're new.
Old 06-15-20, 07:41 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I haven’t bought a NEW bike in a very long time. I bought a brand new racing road bike in 1976(still have it) and really didn’t know anything about it after riding my Schwinn Varsity for a few years. I just knew I needed something lighter as I was wanting to go on longer rides. The guy who owned the small local bike shop raced century races and steered me toward a racing bike I could afford. Before purchasing the bike he nearly insisted that I go for a ride around the harbor which was about 5 miles or so with uphills and corners etc. I rode that bike for over two years without having a car and I love it still. I can now buy my vintage racing bikes without testing as I know what to look for. If I ever buy a mountain bike or any other style of bike, I would want a good test ride to know what to look for .
Old 06-16-20, 07:10 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
If you would test drive a car before buying, then you will probably want to test drive a bike before buying. The same caveats about how much you really learn driving a brand new car for a short test ride apply. Yes, the car is a bigger purchase but since you are the engine on a bike it is worth comparing how you feel on different bikes. Even with similar geometries, the bar and wheel choices and contortions of chains stays and other frame members may cause the ride to feel really different or will intefact with your pedal motion in ways that you don't like.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 06-16-20, 07:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv

I think there's something to be said for having inexperienced riders test ride a variety of bikes, it at least helps eliminate things they find completely unsuitable.
Old 06-16-20, 09:28 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think there's something to be said for having inexperienced riders test ride a variety of bikes, it at least helps eliminate things they find completely unsuitable.
I agree. The first bike I ever bought was an '81 Raleigh, after riding perhaps a half dozen bikes around the parking lot of dealer. Even that brief ride is enough to get a feel for the bike. The Raleigh was the most expensive of the bikes I tried, and it was a quality I now would describe as" stiffness" that made it stand out from the others. Now I buy aluminum bikes online and pretty much know what to expect.
Old 06-16-20, 09:45 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Never rode any of my bikes I bought, or built up, before owning them, but they are all higher end CV, and steel, not much to go wrong there. Looking at my 1st new bike, steel Milwaukee road bike from Ben’s Cycle. Not planning on riding that either, before putting out the cash. Steel frame from Waterford, higher end Shimano components, not too worried about liking it.
Tim
Old 06-17-20, 12:39 PM
xraydog

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the responses.

I think a weekend test ride like Probe1957's local bike shop would be ideal, but, certainly not the norm.
I agree with ShelbyFV that I am not sure I have the experience to adequately evaluate a bike with a short test ride. I'm not sure I could reach an unbiased opinion.
Old 06-18-20, 07:29 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
I have bought bikes I test rode, bikes I never test rode and frames I built up. My best bike is one I built, my least favorite was the most expensive and one that felt good on a short test ride. Even with that least favorite bike, it wasn't horrible, I just never fell in love with it.
Old 06-18-20, 11:01 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Canyon seems to have a pretty substantial return policy, so I'd have no concern buying a bike from them without riding one first.
I have never felt that short shop test rides were very useful, but it doesn't hurt to do one just to confirm before you buy, I suppose.

I recently bought a new bike without test riding it first. It was during COVID lockdowns and while the shop would've had no problem letting me test ride it before buying, it seemed unnecessary. It was basically a new/upgraded version of a bike I already own, and I have ridden other similar bikes in the past. I researched the size/dimensions/specs beforehand, and knew exactly what size I needed. I don't think I would've learned anything on a short test ride that would've swayed my purchase decision, so after looking over the bike in the shop I just paid and took it home, then rode it for the first time later that day. I also have zero doubt that this shop would've let me return/exchange the bike if I got it home and really hated it for some reason.