Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tools and Supplies by Ride Length

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-17-20, 12:43 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts

I am working on my ride check list. This is what I have so far:

Minimum for all rides:
Gloves, Helmet, sunglasses
ID, medical card
Spare tube
Patch
Boot
Pump or CO2
[edit] Tire levers

More than an Hour
Cash and credit card
Phone
16 ounces of water per hour
150 calories food per hour

Optional
Mask if getting of the bike some place public
First Aid Kit
Bandana
Glasses Cleaner
Rain Jacket if weather threatening
Multi-tool
Sports Watch
[edit] Lights

Last edited by Sorg67; 08-18-20 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-17-20, 12:58 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Wow. No phone. Are you dating yourself?
Old 08-17-20, 01:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
I am working on my ride check list. This is what I have so far:

Minimum for all rides:
Gloves, Helmet, sunglasses
ID, medical card
Spare tube
Patch
Boot
Pump or CO2

More than an Hour
Cash and credit card
Phone
16 ounces of water per hour
150 calories food per hour

Optional
Mask if getting of the bike some place public
First Aid Kit
Bandana
Glasses Cleaner
Rain Jacket if weather threatening
Multi-tool
Sports Watch

If more than an hour, two tubes, minimum. And definitely my phone. I also carry a lock. I keep a ziploc full of masks.
Old 08-17-20, 01:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

Phone is on the list, but not less than an hour.
Old 08-17-20, 01:17 PM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Phone only for more than an hour. Don't like to carry the phone if I don't have to.

So yes, I guess I am dating myself.
Old 08-17-20, 02:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
If its more than an hour or longer than 60 miles, I bring more of the things I already have that are consumables. Tube, water, sodium, cash. Those four items fluctuate depending on the ride.
Old 08-17-20, 11:53 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I’m pretty solidly Gen-X, the phone and the sports watch are on me all the time, bike or not.
I also wear a RoadID, so the wallet doesn’t usually come along, unless there’s going to be a lunch stop or something.

I always bring at least one bottle of water, if the ride plan is for more than a mile or two.
Food is dependent on ride length, but I keep a couple energy gels in the seat bag, just in case something happens.

Same goes for the multi-tool. I have one for each of my bikes, along with the spare tube and patch kit, anytime I’m riding farther than i want to push home a broken bike.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-18-20, 12:54 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,500 Times in 3,345 Posts
I was pretty much car-free, and independent over the last couple of years. Driving again now. In > 20,000 miles, I never once needed to phone for a pick-up.

A couple of tools that were valuable included a spoke wrench and a chain tool.

Tire Levers?

Lights? Batteries?

For longer rides, I might also add spare spokes.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-18-20, 03:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Other than the amount of nutrition and fluids, what I take on day rides does not vary. Multi-day tours are a different matter. For those times, my load is dictated primarily by potential weather and the availability of food, not the length of the trip. The availability of food can change during the trip.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-18-20, 04:40 AM
Sorg67

Added lights and tire levers. My lights are rechargeable so no batteries needed. I put the lights as optional but my lights are actually on my bike all the time. I have considered turning them on all the time, but at the moment, I just use them in limited light.

I just have one headlight and one taillight. But I am considering adding some more lights.
Old 08-18-20, 07:01 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
All depends if somebody can come and get you if things go south. If so what youve listed seems adequate. But if your on your own I'd go with lightest multitool that has a chaintool and add a Gerber dime tool. Quick links, zip ties, duct tape wrapped around air pump and a chain assembly wire add little weight to kit. Most important mustard packs or similar for muscle cramps. Never know when those can pop up on a ride.

Old 08-18-20, 08:48 AM
Sorg67

What is the scenario for needing a chain tool? Broken chain? Do you then remove the broken link and reconnect the chain one link shorter? Do you then need a replacement master link? Or can you get the chain back together with the old links?

For the moment, if anything serious happened, I would call my wife to come get me. If I start doing some longer rides where that is not convenient I will have to think harder about more extended supplies.

I am currently thinking that flat tire, tighten something that comes loose and adjust something that is not quite right are the main things I would address on the road.

I am still dialing in my fit.
Old 08-18-20, 09:05 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
What is the scenario for needing a chain tool? Broken chain? Do you then remove the broken link and reconnect the chain one link shorter? Do you then need a replacement master link? Or can you get the chain back together with the old links?

For the moment, if anything serious happened, I would call my wife to come get me. If I start doing some longer rides where that is not convenient I will have to think harder about more extended supplies.

I am currently thinking that flat tire, tighten something that comes loose and adjust something that is not quite right are the main things I would address on the road.

Yes. Bring a chain tool and spare quick-link and you're good to go. Just chop off the busted link, slap on the quick-link, and you're good to go. You might be limited to the gears you can use but you can at least make it home.
I busted my chain last year on a ride and forgot my tool pouch at home.....was a crappy 3 mile walk in cycling socks to get home. Wifey was a work..
My little tool pouch contains everything I need to rig my ride so I can get home in case of most any common technical issue.
Likes For BHG6:
Old 08-18-20, 09:14 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

Wouldn't worry about having one then. I've only broken one chainichain 30 years and probably because I didn't get the link seated right. I keep my bikes well maintained. But I've seen some horrible looking chains out there.
Since you have a sagwagon option I'd keep it light then. Everything for a flat and small multitool

Likes For hillyman:
Old 08-18-20, 09:35 AM
Sorg67

Is a quick link standard for all size chains. It would be cool to be the guy who saves the day on a group ride.
Old 08-18-20, 06:33 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Circling back to OP, more than 50 miles I put sun screen on my legs. Less than that never had a problem but do a century and I will have burned legs. Less than an hour I do nothing. Hour to 50 miles face, neck and arms. I forgot gloves once on a century and by the time I got back the back of my hands were burnt to a crisp.

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 08-18-20, 07:12 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Is a quick link standard for all size chains. It would be cool to be the guy who saves the day on a group ride.

No, they are specific for the chain size.

I run 10 speed, but also carry an 11 speed quick link for good samaritan purposes- doesn't weigh much.

The primary use, IMO, is to shorten the chain to single speed if the RD gets trashed.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 08-19-20, 02:10 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
This first one is on my Mt Bike, need plenty as I can be 30km from anywhere here in Cambodia. It also has a handlebar bag for phone, wallet, keys, lights, and snacks. 2 water bottles.
This one is on my go fast flat bar bike, good on gravel and roads it also has a handlebar bag just like above.

This on is on my Centurion Pro-tour, is also has a mid-sized rando bag up front.

They all have a bag up front and all have toilet paper, small first aid kit, a micro fiber cloth, a few small bungee cords, and some other variable supplies as the ride varies.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 08-19-20, 09:07 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
I guess cycling in Cambodia it would require a tool kit like that but here in Southern California with plenty of roadies more than willing to help if needed I don't carry anything close. I do have a pump, pocket knife (Swiss Army) , patch kit with GOOD GLUE(always check prior to ride) ,tire levers , spare tube(new), and a couple of band aids. In my jersey is my ID , phone , Rich's bandana, and now a mask. I wear an Apple Watch so phone is optional if just doing a lunch ride.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 08-21-20, 10:44 AM
RTH plus 1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In addition to the OP list and other items recommended, consider:
-Cotton ball with your patch kit. When you get a flat, do you check your tire with your finger for sharp items that may have punctured your tube? A cotton ball will snag on the sharp item vice cutting open your finger.
-A couple of feet of duct tape (wrapped around a broken piece of pencil or old credit/gift card). You can fix a lot with duct tape and use as a tire boot.
-Zip ties. example of use - maybe you break your derailleur, you can zip tie it out of the way.
-Spare tube in a zip lock bag with baby/foot powder.
-Small multi-tool in addition to the standard bike tool. A small Gerber/Leatherman type tool comes with a pair of pliers that can be used to straighten out a part (I used last week), or to pull thorns, a nail, or glass out of the tire. It's hard to pull thorns/glass out with fingers.

For well maintained bikes, things happen on the trail/road regardless of how well the bike is maintained. My list fluctuates depending on where I am riding, can someone pick me up, or how far do I want to walk. If you are riding with someone else, you can thin your load by splitting who carries what.
Likes For RTH plus 1: