Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Left Foot or Right Foot?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Left Foot or Right Foot?
Left Foot
55.56%
Right Foot
38.89%
Track Stand
5.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Left Foot or Right Foot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-20, 02:35 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Right. Puts the bike between me/traffic.
Old 12-25-20, 02:44 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Nope. If you put the left leg down, the right leg goes closer to the drivetrain. Right leg down moves the leg away from the drivetrain.
Ridiculous! Watch carefully next time you’re in a group coming to a stop. People who unclip on the drive side lean their bike to the right side or lean it against their right leg. If you’re right foot stays clipped in it stays the same distance, more or less, to the drive chain, hard to get it closer. I tried it today on my Christmas ride. Or you could be like this woman I met once who had the chain ring imprint tattooed on her right calf so it’s permanently there and doesn’t matter if you get more chain oil on your leg. She was a MTBer though...
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 12-25-20, 02:54 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Left, even though that ankle is so messed up my cleat is positioned so I can't twist out, and I have to twist in.
I have a similar issue where it is very difficult to clip out with my left foot while riding so I almost always unclip my right foot. If I have to clip out my left foot while moving I twist in also. But when stopped I find it easier to clip out. Too many ankle injuries over the years.
Old 12-25-20, 02:58 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
left and I can only do a u turn well on our tandem to the left.
Old 12-25-20, 03:39 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Right foot, not sure why, but I have been doing for over 40 years. No cute rationalizations, that is just the way I do it.
Old 12-25-20, 04:06 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'm with one4smoke- why would you fall to the side that you already have your foot down?

The last time that happened to me, it was at the opening of the bike lane across a bridge, & thousands of cyclists showed up.

I pulled up to the small group, unclipped on the right, & a guy pulled up on my left, bumping into me. I fell to the side that was still clipped in, knocking him over as well.

He apologized.

Generally I go with left side/crown of road, and you know that there will be pavement there, but either is OK.

I can also pull the water bottle to drink with left or right hand!
Old 12-25-20, 04:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Left. If the road is crowned, and most are, your left foot is closer to the ground than your right. Also Cat 5 tattoo avoidance.
This.

But I usually trackstand. Most of the streets downtown have enough slope to the gutter that it makes it pretty easy even with a freewheel.
Old 12-25-20, 04:30 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I'm with one4smoke- why would you fall to the side that you already have your foot down?

The last time that happened to me, it was at the opening of the bike lane across a bridge, & thousands of cyclists showed up.

I pulled up to the small group, unclipped on the right, & a guy pulled up on my left, bumping into me. I fell to the side that was still clipped in, knocking him over as well.

He apologized.

Generally I go with left side/crown of road, and you know that there will be pavement there, but either is OK.

I can also pull the water bottle to drink with left or right hand!
I wag going home it was 20 degrees out unclipped on the left got hit with a huge gust of wind that blew me over.
Old 12-25-20, 04:39 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
On my commuter with platforms, left. On my road with clipless, right. Don't know why, I just do it that way.
Old 12-25-20, 04:40 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Stop at a light???
Old 12-25-20, 05:29 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
My habit was left, but I’m trying to change habit to right foot down for left turns and left for right hand turns.

I use toe clips on my utility bikes and I don’t get the pedal flipped immediately. This results in the clip dragging on the pavement in the turn and wears it out. I’m trying to avoid that by staying with my toe in the direction of the turn.

It is a work in progress.
Old 12-25-20, 10:56 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Yeah, and I'm not seeing yours. Miles apart for some reason. Why would you fall on the side you're unclipped on? You have that foot out ready to provide stability, so why would you fall to that side?
If you fail to unclip successfully you tend to fall towards the side you are tying to unclip on. You don’t have your foot out but, generally, you are leaning towards the side you are trying to unclip. To be honest, it hasn’t happened to me in a very long time as I can and do trackstand most of the time and I can come to a complete stop even while clipped in and still get out. But, if I’m going to topple over because of a mistake, I want to fall away from the line of traffic.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-25-20, 11:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Time for a PSA:

If you strongly favor one side, practice using the other side, so you can use it if golden retriever puppies decide to take out your favorite ankle.
Old 12-26-20, 12:16 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Fascinating read.
In so many other threads when someone posts about trying out clipless for the first time just about everybody jumps in and tells them how great it is and how easy it is to pick up.
Apparently these same people have A LOT of experience falling over which comes to light when it pertains to giving advice on how to stop lol.
Funny you never hear about anyone needing to dissect a simple stop based upon potentially falling into traffic when using toe clips
Old 12-26-20, 12:54 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
That's because no one uses toe clips anymore.

Besides, you have to loosen them.

A much better case for easy emergency dismounts could be made if you were advocating flat pedals.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-26-20, 09:19 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Fascinating read.
In so many other threads when someone posts about trying out clipless for the first time just about everybody jumps in and tells them how great it is and how easy it is to pick up.
Apparently these same people have A LOT of experience falling over which comes to light when it pertains to giving advice on how to stop lol.
Funny you never hear about anyone needing to dissect a simple stop based upon potentially falling into traffic when using toe clips
I have mentioned toeclips above. In my experience toeclips are much more difficult to deal with than clipless if you tighten the straps like you are supposed to. I’ve fallen with them probably more often than with clipless because I tightened them.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-26-20, 09:31 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
i ride FIXED and when Im STRAPPED I put down the foot that is the loosest which is generally the left
Old 12-26-20, 09:32 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Ridiculous! Watch carefully next time you’re in a group coming to a stop. People who unclip on the drive side lean their bike to the right side or lean it against their right leg. If you’re right foot stays clipped in it stays the same distance, more or less, to the drive chain, hard to get it closer. I tried it today on my Christmas ride. Or you could be like this woman I met once who had the chain ring imprint tattooed on her right calf so it’s permanently there and doesn’t matter if you get more chain oil on your leg. She was a MTBer though...
That’s your opinion. My wife unclips to the left and she has far more chainring marks then I do. We were discussing this yesterday and, without prompting, she said that the bike leans against her leg more. People who unclip on the right lean move their right leg away from the drivetrain. The bike leans towards the “right unclipper’s” left leg or, more properly, the angle between the frame and the foot increases and your right leg is further away from the drivetrain.

People who unclip on the left increase the angle on the left side but not on the right. The right is closer to the leg and more likely to touch on take off.

On the other hand, if you don’t want chain grease on your leg, don’t use chain grease.

Old 12-26-20, 10:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,407 Times in 2,746 Posts
Chain tattoos would be yet another fascinating thread topic!
Old 12-26-20, 11:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That’s your opinion. My wife unclips to the left and she has far more chainring marks then I do. We were discussing this yesterday and, without prompting, she said that the bike leans against her leg more. People who unclip on the right lean move their right leg away from the drivetrain. The bike leans towards the “right unclipper’s” left leg or, more properly, the angle between the frame and the foot increases and your right leg is further away from the drivetrain.

People who unclip on the left increase the angle on the left side but not on the right. The right is closer to the leg and more likely to touch on take off.

On the other hand, if you don’t want chain grease on your leg, don’t use chain grease.
This sounds really odd, next time I'm on the bike I'll have play around with this. But I think the hard thing to imagine is how the right foot, clipped into the pedal, also has one's calf concurrently hitting the chainring. Outwardly that sounds dangerous. Also, I would think typically the clipped in foot is up near the 12 o'clock position (ready to start up again), above the chainring obviously.
Old 12-26-20, 12:28 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This sounds really odd, next time I'm on the bike I'll have play around with this. But I think the hard thing to imagine is how the right foot, clipped into the pedal, also has one's calf concurrently hitting the chainring. Outwardly that sounds dangerous. Also, I would think typically the clipped in foot is up near the 12 o'clock position (ready to start up again), above the chainring obviously.
Mine is, that’s why I unclip the left foot, to have my right foot positioned at a 1 or 2 o’clock position to take off when it’s time to go.
Old 12-26-20, 01:10 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Left. Avoid the rookie mark on your right calf.
Rookie ???....I thought that grease on the leg is a mark of a serious cyclist.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-26-20, 01:56 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Rookie ???....I thought that grease on the leg is a mark of a serious cyclist.
So is not worrying about falling at a freaking stop.
Old 12-26-20, 03:09 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
This thread is funny, because it's so odd.

You going on and on about something as mundane as taking your foot off a pedal, that is.
pretty sure regional wars have been started over less than this.
Old 12-26-20, 03:33 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
My right leg is about 1/2" inch longer than my left leg. I just always felt more comfortable in most instances clipping out with my right leg but I do make a conscious effort to use my left leg, or clip-out of both on a long light and I want to stretch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.