Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Paramount? Need help identifying this frame!!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Paramount? Need help identifying this frame!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 02:09 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42

As an aside, I've always found it interesting that the quintessential "American" quality bicycle was designed by a Belgian immigrant.
We're all immigrants, no?

Old 04-22-18, 02:17 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Now what happens to it? I'm sorry to be unable to pursue it, should it become available. No matter that it's too small.

Old 04-22-18, 02:25 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 452 Posts
Melting Pot

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
We're all immigrants, no?
I probably should have emphasized "Belgian"? If Arnold Schwinn had asked Rene Herse to design the Paramount line it would be a different bicycle altogether?

Some Native Americans would disagree, but sure, we are all immigrants from somewhere else. Go back far enough and no one is native anywhere, with the possible exception of "Lucy"?

We're all bozos on this bus.
Old 04-22-18, 02:39 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Now what happens to it? I'm sorry to be unable to pursue it, should it become available. No matter that it's too small.
The OP is probably being showered with PMs and emails as we type. Maybe he will update us?
Old 04-22-18, 04:56 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I probably should have emphasized "Belgian"? If Arnold Schwinn had asked Rene Herse to design the Paramount line it would be a different bicycle altogether?

Some Native Americans would disagree, but sure, we are all immigrants from somewhere else. Go back far enough and no one is native anywhere, with the possible exception of "Lucy"?

I just happened to be doing some readings on my family tree this afternoon. It was fresh in my mind.
One of my favorite comedy albums.

Old 04-22-18, 05:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
No worries, I agree the pic added to the fray, maybe it was a Schwinn thing when they ordered a boatload they got ones with the no. so Nervex could go along for the ride.

While I agree there is plenty here that says not a Paramount, BUT also seems there is plenty that says what the heck IS going on here, maybe Schwinn, Paramount, Wastyn, something going on.

Again, what do I know.

I owe you, (and others I am sure), an apology; I should not have been so snarky.

We posted minutes apart. I would have deleted mine for being redundant, but with the photo I thought it brought a little something extra to the table?

I don't know that other builders using that lug removed the Nervex numbers, but I sure don't see them often.

His track bikes do seem to have some consistency. The chain stays are rounded while the seat stays are pointy. Outside the track bikes, there seems to be more variance.

As an aside, I've always found it interesting that the quintessential "American" quality bicycle was designed by a Belgian immigrant.
Old 04-22-18, 06:26 PM
hodgykins 

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1984 Schwinn "Rainbow" Paramount, 1991 Waterford Paramount, 1993 Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Lucy, there must be another that begat? I wonder if she dreamed of bicycles? Perhaps a Paramount? But I digress, a lovely frame, with undoubtedly a great story. Restore it and give it another life.
Old 04-22-18, 06:56 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
This is an inanimate steel object. Unless there is paperwork etc. It is just what it is.

A notion or fun theory is just that.

I dabble in antique arms, and unless you can prove it was Abe Lincolns revolver, it is just a revolver. Any "story" just goes in one ear and out the other. I have heard it all!

Anyway, by the common knowledge that we have today, it's not a Paramount in all likelihood.
Old 04-22-18, 07:41 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Dud

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
This is an inanimate steel object. Unless there is paperwork etc. It is just what it is.

A notion or fun theory is just that.

I dabble in antique arms, and unless you can prove it was Abe Lincolns revolver, it is just a revolver. Any "story" just goes in one ear and out the other. I have heard it all!

Anyway, by the common knowledge that we have today, it's not a Paramount in all likelihood.
Unless Lincoln was a gunsmith, your argument misfires. The question at hand is who made the bicycle, not who owned it.

As Wastyn designed the Paramount, all Paramounts are to some extent Wastyns. If Wastyn made Paramounts outside Schwinn facilities, are they still Paramounts? Absolutely, as the first Paramount was made in Wastyn's shop. Are all Wastyns Paramounts? Absolutely not. Is this a Wastyn Paramount? Maybe, as the level of craftsmanship and finish is consistent with Wastyn's work, and not so much with what came out of Schwinn's workshop.

You may not know whether Lincoln owned a particular firearm, but you'd likely be able to tell if Colt, (or Lincoln), made it?
Old 04-22-18, 08:00 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
^ agreed.

If anything I'd lean towards more likely this is a Paramount, or at least a Wastyn. Not sure what incentive anyone would have to disguise an equivalent quality bike with a fake paramount paint job in the 60s. High end bikes were not really a big thing then.

Seems like the main argument I'm hearing is the head badge holes are wrong. An alternate explanation could be as simple as the head badge fell off and someone put on a standard Schwinn badge as a replacement at some point.

The campy grand sport dropouts with a spring hole are consistent with all the ~58 to ~64 paramounts I've been able to find pictures and specs of. Rounded stay ends are also consistent.
Old 04-22-18, 10:34 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Unless Lincoln was a gunsmith, your argument misfires. The question at hand is who made the bicycle, not who owned it.

As Wastyn designed the Paramount, all Paramounts are to some extent Wastyns. If Wastyn made Paramounts outside Schwinn facilities, are they still Paramounts? Absolutely, as the first Paramount was made in Wastyn's shop. Are all Wastyns Paramounts? Absolutely not. Is this a Wastyn Paramount? Maybe, as the level of craftsmanship and finish is consistent with Wastyn's work, and not so much with what came out of Schwinn's workshop.

You may not know whether Lincoln owned a particular firearm, but you'd likely be able to tell if Colt, (or Lincoln), made it?
Its just an illustration. I know it's a Colt, because it says so right on it, and it has every hallmark. The rub is when someone tries to give it something past what it is.

Can you prove beyond a reasonable doubt the assumption on this frame? If not, then it is just conjecture.

It's merely a steel frame without any known or accepted hallmarks.
Old 04-22-18, 10:39 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Its just an illustration. I know it's a Colt, because it says so right on it, and it has every hallmark. The rub is when someone tries to give it something past what it is.

Can you prove beyond a reasonable doubt the assumption on this frame? If not, then it is just conjecture.

But if a jury convicts, reasonable doubt has been overcome. All of the clues have been presented. I guess you can try and find a supreme court to take up the case?
Old 04-22-18, 10:47 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
But if a jury convicts, reasonable doubt has been overcome. All of the clues have been presented. I guess you can try and find a supreme court to take up the case?
It's not definitive. That's my beef. It may be a long lost Paramount, but until something new comes to light via records or something, it's still just a frame.
Old 04-22-18, 10:55 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
It's not definitive. That's my beef. It may be a long lost Paramount, but until something new comes to light via records or something, it's still just a frame.
I would gladly build that frame up as is and call it a 95% sure bike.
Old 04-22-18, 11:00 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Dud Again

"Guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" is the standard used in criminal court.

"Preponderance of evidence" is the standard of civil court.

Unless this bicycle killed someone, then I suggest it's a civil matter and we try to keep it such. We do try to keep things civil here, don't we?

The subject bicycle has many "known or accepted hallmarks", which have been documented and referenced and discussed in this thread.

(In no logical universe are the choices "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" or "pure conjecture". Maybe in Perry Mason's Universe, but you know that's a TV show, right?)

"This bicycle has been framed, Your Honour!"

(Sorry.)

Last edited by machinist42; 04-22-18 at 11:17 PM. Reason: altered title
Old 04-23-18, 12:09 AM
kc0yef 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
The iteration of Paramount is only in the Paramount Shop...

Wastyn is Wastyn not paramount

If my lathe at home has a 100 thousand run out and the shop has a 10 thousand run out... my skillset is the same but i am on better equipment on my lathe at home so whatever I might have done in the shop is not relevant. Different equipment space and time.
Old 04-23-18, 12:12 AM
kc0yef 

A Jury of what? Peers?
Man you don't even know what peerage is....
I would take this case and it would not be a paramount

Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
Old 04-23-18, 03:33 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

A Rose By Any Other Name?

Originally Posted by kc0yef
The iteration of Paramount is only in the Paramount Shop...

Wastyn is Wastyn not paramount

If my lathe at home has a 100 thousand run out and the shop has a 10 thousand run out... my skillset is the same but i am on better equipment on my lathe at home so whatever I might have done in the shop is not relevant. Different equipment space and time.
"Don Mainland a Schwinn sub-contractor in Racine, Wisconsin...and partner Roger Nelson had a machine shop that built about 40% of the Paramount frames during the '70s bike boom. Many of the full chrome Paramounts were built by Mainland; their brazing was better (less visible after chroming) than those that were done in Chicago." SCHWINN home

So, are "Mainland built Paramounts" Paramounts?

"1981-2 Schwinn Superior

Built using frames and frame components (Nervex lugs and Reynolds 531 tubing) that were remaining when Schwinn stopped Paramount production in Chicago (due to quality issues) in 1979." (Superiors were built by Mainland. An example of his brazing style:

Schwinn Superior circa 1981

An example of Wastyn's:

[IMG]40's Schwinn Wastyn Paramount Track by Michael Mucha, on Flickr[/IMG]
https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...7645736415391/

The above example is a Paramount, a Wastyn Paramount. I wonder if this Wastyn is a Schwinn Paramount? Now who could one ask? Why look, there's Richard Schwinn holding the frame! (As he was providing a Paramount headbadge to the restorer, the question is entirely rhetorical, and somewhat snarky and sarcastic.)

[IMG]Richard Schwinn with Wastyn Paramount Track Bike by Michael Mucha, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-23-18, 06:35 AM
kc0yef 

I think the answer you are looking for is contained right here,
sub contractor:

The Picture of Richard is perfect for this thread

"Don Mainland a Schwinn sub-contractor
Old 04-23-18, 07:00 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
...and let's cease all the gun debate before the moderators lock the thread.

I'd like to encourage the originators of those posts to go back and delete them because they add nothing to the discussion about the OP's bike's ID.

Let's stay on topic and unearth the identity of this fine example of frame craftsmanship.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 04-23-18, 07:02 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
@machinist42, your pictures are priceless!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-27-18, 02:32 AM
nutpowder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I've seen people here amazingly ID a frame and I'm sure your's will be too.Welcome to bikeforums. A good wipe down of the frame could reveal an otherwise faint SN. Also measure the distance between the holes in your headtube. It had a headbadge on it at one time and I've seen frames identified that way also.
glad to be here!
the headbadge holes on the head tube are 2.5 inches apart!
thanks for the info.
Old 04-27-18, 02:44 AM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
The OP is probably being showered with PMs and emails as we type. Maybe he will update us?
i am unable to get or receive pm's here as this was my first post and i think i need have made 10 posts before i'm able to send or receive private messages!!!
Old 04-27-18, 02:58 AM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holly Macchiaroli!!!!!
thanks for the replies! i apologize for droppin out of this discussion but it's been a hectic week.
the wealth of knowledge ya'll have provided is incredible!
ok, here's some pics and info. the word is this bike and it's box of parts have been sitting untouched since the early to mid 70's up until i acquired them.
i'm posting pics of all the stuff that came with it, sadly there doesn't seem to be a derailer in sight but here's everything else. i will check this thread more frequently now that my schedule has cleared up and answer any other questions that may arise. btw the headbadge holes are 2.5 inches apart and it doesn't seem like any other holes had been filled unless they did a perfect job of filling them.
maybe some of the accessories may help date it as they definitely came with the bike as far as i know...
once again, i can't receive pm's here because of the rules but maybe that will change.
Old 04-27-18, 03:17 AM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for some reason i'm bikeforums seems to be not allowing me to post pics anymore? is that possible? i will log out and try again tomorrow, i have a bunch of pics to show everybody...
thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.