Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Dorian

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Hurricane Dorian

Old 09-05-19, 04:26 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 90 Posts
Having spent most of my life in either the Upper Midwest or West, Dorian is only my fourth tropical storm experience. There was Lee in 2011 (which sucked...and I rode through) and Isaac in 2012 (my first experience ignoring an evacuation order - nothing happened), both in Alabama, and whatever hit Texas in 2003 when I was too dumb to know what was going on.

The outer bands started moving through Durham mid-morning and now it's starting to pick up. Work officially shut down at 2PM, and it was fine when I left at 3. I doubt anything major will go down this far inland.

Stay safe and dry, y'all.
Old 09-06-19, 12:05 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 82 Posts
Rode around yesterday, got wet then blown dry. My hair is looking fabulous! Today was sunshine and gusty winds which made life hard-easy depending on which direction headed.

Coffee shops are open!

Not much damage around here at all. Cops said they had a quiet night.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 09-06-19, 01:17 PM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 169 Posts
^^^ same here, just a lot of leaves and small branches down from our big oak trees. I had a nice cool & breezy morning to clean it all up and now the sun's out. Looks to be a nice w/e, we were lucky this time.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 09-07-19, 05:30 AM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 169 Posts
I saw this photo of Hwy 12 on Ocracoke Island on a local news report this morning. The Outer Banks always seem to take a hit even if everyone else escapes.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 09-07-19 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 11:19 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 82 Posts
If the H comes at us straight on we are in for a ride. Walking along the coast like it did lessened the damage to a degree.

awesome ride today!
Old 09-07-19, 12:52 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7147 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
Having spent most of my life in either the Upper Midwest or West, Dorian is only my fourth tropical storm experience. There was Lee in 2011 (which sucked...and I rode through) and Isaac in 2012 (my first experience ignoring an evacuation order - nothing happened), both in Alabama, and whatever hit Texas in 2003 when I was too dumb to know what was going on.

The outer bands started moving through Durham mid-morning and now it's starting to pick up. Work officially shut down at 2PM, and it was fine when I left at 3. I doubt anything major will go down this far inland.

Stay safe and dry, y'all.
For the last 35 years or so, I have lived in So Cal, and experienced the occasional earthquake, and ALWAYS kept a supply of water and goods... in case "the big one" hit.

I have been in Florida since March, and the 10 or so days of "will it hit or not" anxiety as well as the scramble to "get outta town," have been "interesting," and yet nothing like the "BAM it's done and over" feeling of an earthquake. It was like watching DOOM approach and never being sure which way to duck.

I felt fantastic relief after I finally drove my little RV trailer back to it's spot after "hiding out" for 5 days.